Feeling like you’ve outgrown your outdated Facebook username? You can change it at any point. This guide will explain how.
When you initially set up your Facebook account years ago, you may have gone with an available username, not the one you wanted. The URL that appears after facebook.com takes friends and family to your profile.
For example, our profile username is set to facebook.com/groovypost, and any Facebook URL like this should take you to a user or business profile. While you thought it was a good idea at the time, as you progress through life, you might want to change it to something else.
Let’s look at the steps you can use to change your Facebook username below.
Rules for a New Facebook Username
Note: To change your Facebook username, you must do it on the web version of Facebook in a browser. The process for changing your username is not allowed on the mobile app.
First of all, here are the Facebook guidelines for usernames on the social network:
- You cannot use a username already in use.
- Only letters, numbers, periods, and an extension like .com.
- Your username must contain at least five characters.
- The username cannot impersonate another user.
If your username meets the above requirements, you can continue changing your current username.
Change Your Facebook Username
Remember you need to change your username on the desktop version of Facebook via a browser since the mobile version on your phone or tablet doesn’t work.
To change your Facebook username on Facebook:
- Open your web browser.
- Open the Facebook website and sign in if you haven’t already.
- After signing in, click your profile button in the upper-right corner, select Settings & privacy, and then Settings from the menu.
- Under the General Account Settings section, click on the Username option from the list.
- When the Username box expands, type in the name you want to use.
- Type in the new handle in the Username field, and it will let you know if it’s available or not.
- When you finish, click the Save changes button.
Changing Your Facebook Username
After following the steps above, you’ll be able to use your new username on Facebook. In addition to changing everywhere else on the platform, the URL will also change, so ensure to give out the updated URL if you need to. You might not get the exact username because it could already be used. However, you can make it something more unique.
In addition to the ability to change your Facebook username, you can make other adjustments within Facebook. For example, you can delete videos on Facebook, but ensure you download a copy of all data first. You’ll want to back up all your Facebook data before making any significant changes, especially if you decide to delete your Facebook account completely.