How To Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account

facebook deactivation policyLooking to permanently delete your Facebook account? Not surprising. Over the years, Facebook has seen its share of controversy in regards to the privacy of its users. It’s hard to say what sparked all the excitement: Rapid growth of its service? Parents growing awareness of the site and how their kids were using it?  The media?  Or perhaps it deserved it based on its unethical business practicesprivacy policy or terms of service updates?

Whatever the reason, it’s obvious some no longer trust the social giant, and I keep hearing the same question over and over again from my readers:

“Is it possible to delete my facebook account?”

and

“I managed to deactivate it, so it’s deleted right?”

You would think the answer would be fairly straightforward. But it took a lot of digging to come up with the solution surrounding account and profile deactivation — and full-blown account removal from the service. After doing the research and walking through the deceptive complex process, it is apparent that Facebook has done it’s very best to prevent its customers from leaving.  Because if that happened it would, of course, limit the amount of customer data they can scrub from its service.

Personally, I feel Facebook has crossed the line of unethical behavior on this.  After all, Facebook doesn’t truly provide an interface to delete your account quickly and end your agreement with them regarding the use of your personal data per section 2.1 in its terms of service:

Facebook Terms of Service Agreement – Section 2 – Sharing Your Content and Information –  (updated 12/22/2015)

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
2. When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
3. When you use an application, the application may ask for your permission to access your content and information as well as content and information that others have shared with you. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, including how you can control what information other people may share with applications, read our Data Policy and Platform Page.)
4. When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
5. We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use your feedback or suggestions without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

There is plenty there to chew on, especially the areas I’ve highlighted in red. I’ll speak a bit about this later, let’s continue with account deletion and deactivation.

Deactivating Your Facebook Account: The same as Deleting your Account?

Users can deactivate their Facebook account from the user interface without too much trouble. Facebook will ask you to confirm your decision by displaying one of your friends and telling you “Your Friend will miss you.”

I’m pretty sure it took, at least, a few days for “P-Diddy” to get over losing me as a FaceBook friend.  🙂

Facebook Account Deactivate Confirmation Screenshot

Once you confirm you want to deactivate your account, be sure to read the fine print. It clearly outlines that account deactivation is not the same as deleting your account/profile. By deactivating your Facebook account, you’re merely disabling your ID, however, all your data remains on Facebook servers.

you can reactivate facebook at any time, is this really deactivation?

What surprised me was the fact that even after the account deactivates, you can still be tagged in photos, invited to events, etc.. With this in mind, be sure to opt out of emails if that’s the path you’re going down.

Even if you deactivate your account you can still be tagged in photos and added to friends lists and groups, and you'll still receive emails.

So in short, deactivating your Facebook account is almost worthless.  It’s Facebook’s deceptive and clever practice of luring you into a false sense of security by making you think you’ve removed your account, personal data and license to your IP (intellectual property) from the service when you haven’t.  The wrong part about this is even after your account deactivates, the license granted to Facebook in section 2.1 of its terms…

Section 2.1 of the Facebook Terms of Service

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

…is still in effect! And, being that pretty much anything you plug into Facebook is immediately shared with your friends, per the Facebook Terms of service (see highlight in bold,) the license you grant Facebook stays in effect indefinitely even if you do manage to delete your account permanently.

Oh, and it gets better. To re-activate your account, all you need to do is sign-in to Facebook or use your Facebook ID to sign-in to another service (or post a comment on some sites) and everything is right back where you left it as if you never left – pictures, friends, posts, your IP….

So I think everyone will agree with me in that the Facebook Account/Profile deactivation process is worthless if your goal is to delete your account and remove some of your data or IP from the service.  Seriously the “real” good news is there IS a way to delete your account.

How to Really Delete Your Facebook Account

Deep in the bowels of the Facebook help center, you can find the URL that will permanently delete your Facebook account.

Before I show you the link, however, please read the following carefully:

Deleting your Facebook will delete all of your account information and remove your ability to login to the service. No photos, friends, messages, status updates, etc. According to Facebook, once your account permanently deletes, there is no way to restore your account or your data. With that in mind, please move forward reading all large and fine print.

So let’s get started on permanently deleting your profile.

Visit http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account, Click Submit

Facebook account deletion confirmation

You’ll be asked to confirm. Type in your password and solve the CAPTCHA.  Click Okay to continue.

facebook accoun deletion again

All done, sort of.

How to Make Sure Facebook Permanently Deletes your Account

Even after confirming the deletion of your account, Facebook will only deactivate it, leaving you 14 days to log back in and cancel the entire deletion. Sigh.

You must wait 14 days after confirming deletion of your Facebook account

I know what you’re thinking:  “Really?  Fourteen days to delete my data?”

1. I completed the scavenger hunt and found the DELETE link.
  2. I saw the BIG RED TEXT warning me my account would be permanently deleted.
  3. I entered my password.
  4. I helped by solving the Captcha puzzle.
  5. Lastly, I clicked the Okay button

What part of delete my account don’t you understand Facebook?  Perhaps you thought I was joking?  Or drunk?  But if that’s the case, why the five steps above?  Yes, Regis, that’s my final answer!  Delete my account!

I think it’s pretty obvious by now Facebook doesn’t consider you a customer from a customer service point-of-view. Facebook is in the data business — more specifically, your data, and it will go to great lengths to keep information including your employment, school history, friends, network, photos, tagged face, etc… which it managed to collect from you over the years in its social web.  The 14 day grace period is Facebook’s last-ditch attempt to lure you somehow back into the service either accidentally or from some subconscious Facebook addiction in order to abort the account cancellation process.

With this in mind, here are a few tips to make sure you don’t “accidentally” log in to Facebook thus aborting your account nuke process.

1. Clear your browser cache and delete all cookies – / /
  2. Delete the Facebook Application on your iPhone (don’t worry, it’s free if you ever want to add it again…)
  3. Avoid clicking the Facebook Share button on any websites you read such as the button below (sorry, couldn’t resist <smile> )
  4. 5/5/2010 UPDATE: Reader UXP made a good point in his comment below reminding me that Facebook is also used by many people for single sign on for commenting on blogs or logging into websites (like digg.com for instance.) Other examples – Facebook chat clients like Pidgin or Adium. If you use these services, post a comment on a blog using Facebook Connect, or log in to a site using your Facebook account during your 14-day waiting period, and your FB account will be reactivated. Ouch… that one is going to hurt if your only Creds on DIGG.com or other sites is your Facebook account.

Now, I can’t make any promises that after all this work (and 14 days of course) Facebook will delete your account because it’s not my company. This is, however, the process that it laid out on its website (if you managed to track it down). Good luck; unfortunately, you’ll need it.

, , ,

609 Responses to How To Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account

1. 1upMushroom November 11, 2009 at 12:29 am #

Woah, that is a little scary. I really don't like Facebook's policies, time to wait 2 weeks so I can delete my account…

• Mirza April 13, 2011 at 4:14 am #

I have just permanently deleted my facebook account, and the procedure is, after I have done some thinking, the best one! The thing is you should write a very complicated password, including numbers and Big letters, at least 20 letters long, and you should change the password on your facebook account, to the new, complicated one… After you have changed the password to an unmemorable and impossible one, delete your account immediately, read and type your new complicated password in the process, and, after that is done, burn the little paper or delete an SMS containing the new and impossible password… Now your account is deleted, because not in a 100 years could you remember that complicated code, and log on to facebook again… Good luck!

• Mirza April 13, 2011 at 4:21 am #

And, of course, one must not be willing to retrieve the password, but have a stronger wish of quiting facebook…

• Common Sensel May 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I did what was suggested by making a very large password with mixed letters and numbers. But, and this is very important. You can change your name so no one can find you on FB. Just go to your profile, and change your name from John Doe to anything you want, they will ask you if this is your name and of course you will say, “YES”! I mean if they can keep your info, why not take some leniency with their rules. If you do not follow their rules of service, then they can cancel your account, well…HELLO!? No one finds you and you have a fake ID and always use an email address you are willing to cancel after this. So set up with hotmail or yahoo, not your primary address.

Now if they want to play games to keep you on FB, they have built a wise trap for all of us, so we have to outsmart them to win. In changing your name, go to some worthless name or pick some criminal or nut case, like the Unabomber, Osama bin Laden, or Charlie Sheen. Won’t that screw with the twitters, too. Just change the spelling slightly…for example Charley Sheen, Charley Shean, Charley Shine and so forth. Once FB has enough of these useless names, they will stop the BS. And we thought AOL was bad…MUHAHAHAHAHA. One other caveat, make sure you can delete your email account after doing this name change and using the very large password. Hey what can I say, it worked for me. I cannot logon, and they cannot use my email address to find me and my name is useless. So FB, build it better and we will build it smarter.

• maggie July 18, 2011 at 6:55 am #

my account was deactivated by facebook without warning and i still dont know why, i would like to delete it for good but as i am blocked from getting back in to delete the thing…. what else can i do….

• Rebecca Resurreccion October 19, 2011 at 2:28 am #

Please help me to delete my son’s account in facebook.. apparently he cannot open his account , he already forgot his user name and password..hope to hear from you asap..

• carl edward December 2, 2011 at 5:45 am #

Everyone here is overlooking the fastest way to delete your account. All you do is edit your birthday to something below 10 years old. This will violate fb’s terms of service and your account will be deleted in 2 days, it works!!

• Steve Krause December 2, 2011 at 9:50 am #

@Carl – Wow… really? That’s a great idea.

Need to test that out. Thnx for the tip.

• Deletiana Converta April 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Maybe not as fast as changing your birthday, but how about using an obviously fake name? My account was randomly disabled for using a fake name (which included an apostrophe in it) and I had to send in a clear copy of my government ID to prove it was a real account and get my account reinstated. They promptly reinstated my account with my (unchangeable) real ID name assigned to it.

There’s also the option of converting your page into a fan or business page. This way, you can wipe your slate clean (remove all status updates, likes, pics, posts, comments, etc. and everything you’ve ever done on your and other pages) but without losing your friends (which will all turn into “Likes” or “Fans” of your fan/business page.

You could even convert your page to a fan page to erase all your data then close your empty fan page once you’re done converting. If you plan on using your fan / business page, be sure to change your name to a name you’d want to use on your business / fan page BEFORE converting! …

• Mr. Deletiana Converta April 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Never mind. My theory on facebook page to fan page conversion no longer works. It used to wipe out everything you’ve ever done on facebook (private messages, likes, posts, etc.) upon conversion, but I just realized upon experimentation that converting your profile (or closing it) no longer wipes out whatever messages you’ve left in OTHER people’s inboxes. There was once a time when converting your profile into a fan page also wiped out all private messages you’ve ever made across the board. Now your name (or facebook email) remains in the other person’s inbox in unclickable bold black print along with an empty photo followed by whatever full message you’ve sent to that person (along the entire conversation history of everything you’ve talked about with that person since your first chat).

The dumbest part of all this is that now people can even REPLY to a message from a closed or converted page. Obviously, no one will ever get that reply.

• john doe May 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

they have records of all your previous names as well.. it makes no difference

i did find this helpful and hopefully my accnt is gone in 2 weeks

• Ugine Buttlips March 19, 2016 at 11:23 am #

Win what exactly? A chicken dinner? My point is Facebook is as truly anti social as a human can be. Delete it, dont,make a long password…it’s not herion. Just stop using the service U signed up for.

• Ajulie October 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

Wow. Thanks for the article and this response.

I did all of the above steps because I thought I “deleted” my Facebook account about 6 months ago. When I logged in it was like nothing happened. They REALLY want to track you and save your information. I can’t believe the lengths they go to so that it is almost impossible for a novice or intermediate internet user to “delete” their account. The internet is getting really, really scary. The biggest necessary evil in my life besides my divorce.

• Sarah October 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

oh my gosh!that same thing happened to me!
          a little over 6 monthes ago, i decided to get rid of the thing once and for all
          and i distinctly remembered the message that was sent about the waiting 2 weeks before it’s permanantly deleted
          and i logged back in today because i was curious if it really got deleted and it REACTIVATED my account!

• _aleph_ November 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Same thing happened to me just now, Sarah!

• saseel January 16, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Hi steve, i delete my facebook account my 14 days grace period is going it going to finished on january 25th. after the complete deletion can i get the username for new account. because i am drop to time line i hate that that is why i delete my account and i want the same username so please let me know that all way to get back my facebook username.
            thanks

• Steve Krause January 17, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Hi Saseel,

From my experience yes. You should be able to re-use the username however depending on how long it takes Facebook to purge the system you might need to wait longer than 14 days for that.

Keep us updated here what you experience as that’s a great question!

-S

• Wed February 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

What about my comment on my friends photo ,wall ,vid,…ets ,is gonna be deleted or not on there wall and their photo???????????

• Robert September 19, 2015 at 7:06 am #

I deleted my account details 3 to 4 years ago, but just found out it is still active in facebook.

• Mary January 3, 2016 at 5:08 am #

The same thing just happened to me. Did you find a way to permanently delete it?

• Shana November 29, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

Go to google images. Find a pic with the facebook logo with a bullet hole on it. Put it up as your profile picture. They will delete your account for hate speech.

• Mary January 3, 2016 at 5:09 am #

Does this actually work?

• shalinee April 4, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

delete my fb account

• Steve Krause April 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Yup – did you have a question we can help with?

• harshil May 5, 2012 at 3:38 am #

1) create a note pad file and close your eyes. now type any thing on keyboard
      2)copy that thing
      3)log on in your account
      4)change your password by that unknown copied password.
      5)go to this link “http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account”
      6)and follow the steps provided on the link

your account will be deleted and you will never know the password

• wendy June 8, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Facebook is a joke. My nieces/nephews are ADDICTED…it controls their lives….just as it does alot of users. I have hired many young adults at my company and they are continuously on facebook, during work. It’s like a drug. Unfortunately, I have had to fire several employees for this. Do it on your break….but they continue to “sneak” it during working hours. Seriously, is this what our society has come to? Geez, if I want to communicate with someone, I will call or write to them and them alone, not post it on facebook where everyone/anyone can see it. COME ON…..
      On another note, one of my 155 year old neices was absolutely stalked on facebook by a predator with a false identity. It happens all the time, folks. GET YOUR KIDS OFF FACEBOOK AND GET YOURSELF OFF AS WELL. If millions of people would do this, facebook would become obsolete and the world would be a much better and safer place. Want your identity stolen? Just open a facebook account. What a joke.

• Ugine Buttlips March 19, 2016 at 11:28 am #

Agreed. What a great World when everyone is possibly a Rapist and Terrorist, so don’t travel, don’t talk to Anyone! Except on Social Media,then Rant like an A hole. It’s tragic and sad. I truly can think of no use for facebook besides the new Sell Junk option. Ebay has me covered thanks Mark. I was out year ago. Made froups,no one posted…attempting anything not argumentative on Space book is a up hill battle. A rename to Trollbook, or Big Brothers Book of Nonsense may be slightly more appropriate.

• Jane Gennaro April 12, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Thanks for doing all the work Steve! I’m a free woman now… well, atleast in two weeks, I hope!!

• Ellla November 7, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

wow thank you so much!!!! weight off my back!!! I would rather wait 2 weeks. I ind of screwed p my account so I decided to delleeete. THANK YOU

• taggart April 7, 2016 at 9:37 am #

I’ve been trying all week jay

• emily ott October 3, 2016 at 7:33 am #

i had to go off social media and this was kind of all since usually most people join them and not to delete them,i had to see the help of an ethical elite hacker my new boss introduced me too,i tell you, in a week all my social life was like it never existed , eliterealhack(((at))gmail(((dot))com they simplify solution.

2. MrGroove November 11, 2009 at 5:39 am #

I think if used responsibly, services like Facebook have their place so hopefully you’re not deleting your account because of my article. That being said, if you found my article because you were looking to delete your account then hopefully it helped inform you regarding Account Deactivate vs. Account Delete.

• Simon May 4, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Thanks for posting that link to permanently delete my account. I had “deactivated” my account for a year and was shocked to log back in as if nothing had happened. What most people don’t realize is that with such an intense level of detail being put into ones profile, you are litterally signing away the rights to your own identity. It’s absurd.

Thanks again,

S.

• MrGroove May 4, 2010 at 9:15 am #

@Simon – Not only that but if you take a look at the terms of service section 2.1 – http://www.facebook.com/terms.php you will note the word “sub-licensable”.

Facebook can’t “sell” your data/content however they can “license” your content. I would assume this would include everything from access to your data (marketers) to photos (iStockphotos.com does pretty well licensing photos….).

And since the terms also use the word – royalty-free, Facebook doesn’t have to pay you anything for that data/content.

• Sarah June 15, 2010 at 5:21 am #

Mr. Groove
      I want to delete a FB account because I messed it up, and don’t want the email address to be connected to the profile. ( I was trying to create a page for my church and screwed it up) So the ? is after I delete the account will I be able to use that email for another FB account

• Animis June 15, 2010 at 5:32 am #

@Sarah
        Yup after the two weeks deletion period is over you can reuse the same email address to make a new account.

• Sarah June 15, 2010 at 9:32 am #

thanks Animis

• Katie July 30, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

So will Facebook let me delete and Nuke my facebook account and then re-establish a fresh new account with the same email address or will it re-vive my old account? Thanks for your help.

• MrGroove August 2, 2010 at 11:54 pm #

@Katie

Hi Katie, If you delete your account (and wait the 14 days) you will have no problem re-creating a NEW account with your old email address.

• mandy August 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

not true…. I am on day 15 and it still won’t let me recreate an account with my email 🙁

• Tia Kamon July 30, 2011 at 8:03 am #

Hi there – i wondered if i could get an absolutely precise answer to my query – i have previously had facebook but had to delete it before my parents could find out – i’ve left my account alone for months, so would i be able to get a new account with all of the same information? and if so, will it be a completely new account or will it contain my old data?

• Tia Kamon July 30, 2011 at 8:04 am #

• Jazmeen April 29, 2012 at 3:57 am #

How will I know if my facebook account is deleted already? It’s my 14th day. I want to create a new account using my old e-mail address. Just discovered this article. A great article 🙂

• Tiffany December 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

i followed you instructions to delete my account and when I try to go to the lnk it takes me to the facebook login page……PLEASE HELP ME. IM SO FRUSTRATED.
      Thanks in advance!!!

• MrGroove December 3, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Were you logged in when you started the process?

• Mr. DitchFB January 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Thank you MrGroove, I really do wish to delete my FB account I set up like a naive little fool. lol I have certainly felt the effects (negative ones) from using FB, and now realize EXACTLY why I always did think it was stupid. I’ve only used it for a few months. They really are manipulative about it. It is really disgusting. Anyhow, thank you MrGroove, (I do believe this site is by MrGroove, I apologize if I’m mistaken) for providing this. I hope this does it. Good RIDDANCE, facebook!

• Mr. DitchFB January 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Dahgum, I tried leaving a comment, but somehow it got messed up. Damn technology. lol. Anyhow, I wasn’t inspired by this page; I sincerely wish to end my FB account. Delete it for good. I always did hate it…now I know why. And I’ve only had it a few months. lol Anyhow, thank you to the creator of this page, I truly appreciate the help. Good RIDDANCE facebook!

3. yagga November 12, 2009 at 4:32 am #

The two week wait is completely reasonable.

If someone else maliciously deleted your account, or you change your mind, you can recover. Also, do you think that they don't have redundancy on their systems to avoid data loss? There are valid reasons to build a system such that bulk deletes happen on a staggered basis and not on demand.

Hiding the true DELETE link is the inexcusable part.

• aimy July 30, 2016 at 4:49 am #

after deleted my acount can masseges will be display in other user inbox which i had sent?

• Steve Krause July 30, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Yes…. I think… That’s actually in the Terms of Service. I would need to test it out to be 100% sure but, that’s my first guess because once you send something on the service, you give a license to Facebook to use/keep it.

4. MrGroove November 12, 2009 at 9:03 am #

You make a good point, if someone were to steal a facebook account and delete it, this might be the grace Window Facebook offers for someone to come back from vacation and login thus aborting the delete process. I think this is an edge case but, it “might” have been what they had in mind. It would be interesting to get metrics on “stolen” accounts.

In regards to data redundancy I'm not sure I follow you. I have no issue with Facebook building redundant systems and taking backups not to lose data. That's the norm for any data center so I'm not sure I follow that part of your comment.

• eckstee May 8, 2010 at 12:30 am #

If I were going to maliciously delete someone’s facebook account, the first thing I’d do is change their password and password recovery info, assuring that they can’t log in and abort the deletion during the 14 day grace period.

The whole thing is stupid.

• MrGroove May 9, 2010 at 11:18 am #

@echstee – I wonder if they reconfirm account changes like that through email. In that case you would need to know their email address and the password. That being said, if you have their facebook account…. I’m going to guess there’s a 50-75% chance you have their email account PW as well. 😉

• zacharydl May 10, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Of course you have full access to their account. You have to enter their password to delete the account. If somebody were to leave their facebook acccount logged in at a library, you wouldn’t be able to delete the account, therefore that rationalization for the grace period is not legitimate.

• rjfromnz April 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

If FB were a customer oriented company they could use the same process but rather than autolgging you back on after deletion before the 14 days were up they could prompt saying ” This Account Has Been Deleted, Do You Want To Recover It”. That way you could if you wanted but it could not accidentally or programatically be recovered.

• Mr. Deletiana Converta April 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I always thought they did the 14 Day Grace Period for the people who are quick to overreact based on emotions or do things they later regret. A lot of people delete their accounts then regret it, so I thought this is why they gave the 14 day grace period to give people a chance to reconsider. Imagine if every decision in life had a 14 day grace period. I believe they also did it this way because it not only benefits the user, but mainly benefits facebook. Facebook does not want to lose any people so they’ll surely leave the chances to reconsider wide open and try to emotionally provoke you into not leaving (although they also tend to do things that make you want to consider leaving as well).

• EssaJetticks March 12, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Hey Steve,

I was wondering if the “file” that facebook allows you to upload with all of your photos/history and that they email to you would be deleted if i deleted my facebook?

5. AlexMVP November 12, 2009 at 11:33 am #

Just take note that pretty much all big sites have the same kind of “terms of service”…. if we all knew what was happening to our data we probably wouldn't use the internet anymore hehehe.

• MrGroove May 5, 2010 at 8:47 am #

Microsoft actually has the best terms of service (no, I don’t work for microsoft). I’m working on an article now to compare all the various terms of service agreements between the large social network, im, email networks. Stay tuned.

• Jonathan November 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Am very much looking forward to reading it!
        Thanks for the info MrGroove. Most helpful. Though I wonder, perhaps the 2 week “grace period” is for Facebook to inform any companies (ie: 3rd parties) using our info/pics/etc that the account is ending and hence their rights of usage?

• MrGroove November 25, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

Hmm… probably not… I think the real reason is just in case your account was stolen by someone however the primary reason is to not lose you as a customer hoping you will come back.

Good thought tho.

• lakehn. January 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

but, think about it. if you simply delete the email you used for your account, you never even CAN make the mistake of falling back into their trap. That’t what I did, just in case that helps someone.

6. AlexMVP November 12, 2009 at 11:36 am #

I don't agree. It's my job to protect my password. If I choose a bone head password or let my PC get hacked and they delete my facebook page, hack my gmail account or get into my banking info. Shame on me. It's not the job of my Internet providers to “protect” me.

I do agree with you tho regarding bulk deletes of accounts. With 300+ million accounts, depending on how many accounts are deleted (I'm going to guess not many since it's so hard to find the delete link) that's probably something you want to batch delete.

7. AlexMVP November 12, 2009 at 11:37 am #

If you read the rest of the terms, it says they have backups and the data will be purged “eventually” once you delete your account (not deactivate it).

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?ref=pf – Section 2.2
    “When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others). “

8. ShockerSH November 13, 2009 at 4:53 pm #

you know the saying – “Nothing is free”. there's a reason Facebook, gmail, yahoo etc…. are all free services. take a little, give a little… the important part is keeping track of what your giving and to whom.

good read groovydude and good comments.

9. FacebookFree November 19, 2009 at 11:58 am #

Thanks, I just wanted a “business” page and got sucked into creating a “profile” to link to Twitter and BAM I've got a “personal social profile”. I had no interested in all that warm-and-fuzzy-human-bonding-getting-stalked-by-people-I-didn't-like-in-High-School crap but did want to use the same email and username. By Zeus they make it hard. Only 14 days to go…BTW you instructions were crystal clear and the editorial delicious. Thanks again.

• Sarah June 15, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Ya that is exactly what happened to me, I already had a profile (I like all that bonding with people who didn’t even know my name in HS, haha ;0) ) So I want to create a page by using the business link, but then they make you have a profile with it, Sooo I guess you have to use the normal page to create it, is that what you did Nov 09 your two weeks is up, is it done did it work for you?

• MrGroove June 16, 2010 at 7:43 am #

FYI – I created an anonymous account on Facebook then used that to create my facebook.com/groovypost business page. 😉

• Mr. Deletiana Converta April 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Me too.

10. MrGroove November 19, 2009 at 6:06 pm #

They make it easy to get tangled into their web don't they. 🙂

Thanks for the comments and welcome to groovyPost!

11. Genis January 14, 2010 at 7:00 am #

Anybody knows that after you delete an account, can you register a new profile to facebook with the same email?

Thanks

• MrGroove January 14, 2010 at 9:23 am #

First, make sure you delete the account and don’t just “disable” the account as mentioned above. Second, if they truly do delete your account, I would assume you COULD register a new account with a different name, identity etc… using the same email address.

It would be a good test actually. Keep us looped in if you give it a try!

• Vijay May 3, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

I actually deleted my account with above mentioned method couple of months ago. Then waited patiently for 2 weeks.
        During those 2 weeks I got more then average requests/newsletters from facebook in my mail as compared to earlier.
        However, my account got deleted after 2 weeks. I verified this by trying to log in with original email/password and it refused to let me in.

After reading you comment, I thought why not test if I could register with same email and other information again. I tried and it allowed me to create a new profile which contained same information as previous one.

The conclusion is, they allow you to register using same email and information.

P.S. – I deleted my account again 🙂

• MrGroove May 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

@Vijay – Thanks for sharing your experience. I setup a test account last year when I wrote this post and I had a similar experience. They do let you delete the account however, with my account disabled I still was able to send friend requests to the test account I was deleting and I receive emails for those requests. Soo…. Yeah. They REALLY don’t want to lose any data stored with Facebook accounts so when you delete your account you need to be very careful to let the 14 days pass.

Now that being said, I can also understand the 14 day waiting period. Imagine if someone figured out your password and then logged in and deleted your account… If you had hundreds of photos, friends, blog posts, business pages etc…. this could be a VERY bad thing. The 14 days is probably a reasonable period to allow a person to return from vacation, realize they have been hacked, login again and change their password.

That being said, I would prefer they use a “secret” word or email confirmation to delete the account instead of the 14 day wait period. Then again, I’m sure another 50 ppl would disagree with me 🙂

• Tray January 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

I noticed someone said they were able to reuse their name and other info on a new account after successfully deleting the old one. This is encouraging. I have just set up a business account(not a page) (without having a personal account/page) and realized it is kind of useless because it can’t be searched (so how will anyone find it?)
        I want to delete it, create a personal account, then create a business page (not account). But I am worried that I might not be able to reuse my company name. Has any one tried this with a business account? I am guessing it wouldn’t make a difference, but still…

12. Amy February 23, 2010 at 5:16 am #

This didnt work.. 🙁 I copy and pasted the link and it just went to the help page with no cancel account option!! PLEASE HELP!!

• Helen September 1, 2010 at 9:13 am #

I have tried to delete Facebook for ever and a day, the more i try, the more it keeps me busy trying to get read of it. Dose that make sence? I hate facebook to where i never want in my life again. Please can you help

13. Amy February 23, 2010 at 5:25 am #

Never mind, done it! :o)

14. sullymandias May 3, 2010 at 6:49 am #

they seem to have made it a little easier to find the link to delete the account. i cant tell you where it is now, because if i go back there to try to find it again, my account will be reactivated. but i remember not having too much trouble finding it.

15. siegfried May 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Tip: Of course there are usually issues with application sites, forms, and web browsers. The Facebook form submit button did not work with Firefox 3.6, but did successfully submit with IE8. (I just deleted an account and had to go thru IE in this case).

So, if something fails on one browser, try another 😉

• MrGroove May 3, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

@Siegfried – Super…. Nothing like making it easy. 😉

16. WSz May 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

That’s awesome! Thanks for the link. I had enough with their raping of my personal life and selling my soul to the highest bidder. Hopefully they’ll actually delete my data, not that it’s that big of a deal. I was never honest about all the demographic or personal information anyway. Other than using my real name so people could find me, I never had anything remotely accurate in there 😉

Anyway, thanks for sharing this invaluable information!

• MrGroove May 3, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

@WSz – It was my pleasure and thanks for the feedback!

17. Kate May 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

My partner has tried to do this repeatedly, and all that happens is he keeps getting bounced back to his login page.
    I successfully gave my FB account the flick over 6 months ago, but it seems to have a sleeper hold on my partner… Any other hints?

• MrGroove May 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm #

@Kate – Very odd…. Tell your partner to try this.

Step 1 – Login to Facebook and verify they are fully logged in and everything works.
      Step 2 – Click the DELETE Link: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account
      Step 3 – Report back here if it worked! 😉

Step 4 – If it fails, try a different browser. Could be your cookies are not enabled properly or???

• Kate May 6, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

Thanks for that – it turns our Firefox doesn’t like deleting Facebook so I used IE and the deed is done! My partner is very appreciative!

• MrGroove May 7, 2010 at 9:09 am #

@Kate – Aye… I’ve heard that a few times about Firefox. Glad to hear IE worked out for you! I’ve actually been using Chrome quite a bit lately. Doesn’t have all the plugins I love with Firefox but overall, it’s not bad (especially since Google fixed the EULA license….) 😉

18. Jeff May 4, 2010 at 3:42 am #

Deleted.

19. Pietro Speroni May 4, 2010 at 4:15 am #

I don’t see the whole panic about all this.
    Why not just delete the information manually. I mean:
    delete your interests, delete your friends, delete your picture, untag yourself from all photos, delete all applications, change your name into something anonymous: john smith or so;

Just add the phrase: account deleted on the info. Make the privacy settings as strict as possible.

Once you have done all this… who cares if facebook still have an account that belonged to you.

• Vijay May 4, 2010 at 4:42 am #

@Pietro
      Agree that this can be done. But the point is why do you have to go through this pain? Why can’t they provide a simple link which is obvious? As a user it’s my right. I should be able to delete my account whenever I wish.
      Facebook wants to take total control over users and their data (their privacy policy verifies it) which I personally don’t like.

• angry-fb-acct-holder May 17, 2010 at 11:58 am #

@Pietro: Unfortunately, it’s not enough to do everything you mentioned in your post – delete all your posts, pictures, friends, photo tags, links to Flickr, change all of your privacy settings to “Only Me” (well, except those options that force you to select “Friends of Friends” and similar), etc. In fact, my friends have sent me direct, non-FB-based emails telling me that Fb is still posting automatic updates that I updated my Flickr account (yes I removed my Flickr username from my Facebook account). And, just logging in now still gives me “Like” suggestions for the items my Facebook friends “like”, even though I removed all friends from my friends list. It’s aggravating.

• Jamie F. May 24, 2010 at 7:33 am #

Pietro I think your suggestion should be followed by everyone who wants to delete his or her profile on facebook. Combining your insight with the link posted by pk below, I would say STEP ONE is to complete bugger your account, delete photos and untag photos and revise the demographic info, change your name if it lets you. THEN after a month or two to give google and other search engines a chance to forget the old fb data STEP TWO is to delete the account. This strikes me as something similar to a naval crew scuttling the ship before surrendering.

20. AlanH May 4, 2010 at 4:38 am #

All lies.

I went back 2 months later and the account was still there after “deleting”. Well beyond the 14 day statement.

21. Helgen May 4, 2010 at 8:25 am #

What? I deleted my old account simply by clicking delete account, asked for my password, and it was deleted.

22. Brian May 4, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Deleted mine 10 days ago. Can’t wait for it to finally go through. What is most disappointing to me is that FB is no longer the same product I signed up for. What I originally liked was the ability to have a (semi) private conversation with just invited friends/family. Now they’ve changed the rules (repeatedly) to try and dupe me into giving that information to everyone. The most recent change was the last straw for me because it proved to me that they won’t stop until everything is public and I just can’t trust what they’ll do with my info. What bothers me most is their completely arrogant claim that they’re just reflecting the general trend in society that we all want everything to be public.

23. pk May 4, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Actually, according to this interview with an anonymous facebook employee, even if you DO “delete everything”, facebook hardly deletes ANYTHING on its end.

• MrGroove May 5, 2010 at 8:45 am #

@Pk – Thanks for the tip. That was an interesting read.

24. Gopal May 4, 2010 at 10:46 am #

Thank you!

Moved from ‘De-activation’ to ‘Delete’.

• MrGroove May 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

Your welcome!

Welcome to groovyPost!

25. Anonymous May 4, 2010 at 10:54 am #

To easily never access facebook after deactivating & deleting the account add

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com

To you’re host file for PC

• MrGroove May 4, 2010 at 11:00 am #

BUT BE CAREFUL!

Most systems, you can find the host file at: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

And, don’t put http:// into a host file. just domain names and sub-domains.

• You May 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm #