How to Cancel Your Windows 10 Upgrade Reservation

Windows 10 will be arriving next month, and you might have made your reservation in haste without thinking about what the upgrade will mean to your computer. But the Microsoft FAQ page, says the same tool you used to reserve it allows you to cancel the upgrade reservation, too.

Cancel Windows 10 Upgrade Reservation

Right-click the Windows 10 upgrade icon on your system tray and select Check your upgrade status.

Next, you will see the message about your upgrade reservation being successful. From here, click the hamburger menu at the upper left corner. In the list under Getting the upgrade, click View confirmation.

The next screen will tell you that your upgrade is reserved, but to cancel it, click the small Cancel reservation hyperlink.

Microsoft wants you to verify the cancellation, and if you’re sure you want to cancel, click the Cancel reservation button.

Cancel Windows 10

If you end up changing your mind again later, before the July 29th release date, and decide that you do indeed want to reserve your Windows 10 upgrade, you can go back through the wizard and set it up again.

It’s also worth mentioning that you can use the same Windows 10 upgrade tool to check if your PC can run Windows 10.

For more on what Windows 10 will mean to you, check out our article: Your Windows 10 Questions Answered. Or, for more in-depth conversation about all things about the new OS, check out the Windows 10 Forums.

33 Responses to How to Cancel Your Windows 10 Upgrade Reservation

1. Ian June 20, 2015 at 9:43 am #

Hi,

I hastily selected the upgrade but the Windows logo has now disappeared from the system tray. Any suggestions please of where it might be hiding?

• mamie maddrey December 6, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

would like window 10 cancel don,t like setup

• Janice Vogelsang March 25, 2016 at 12:41 am #

I hastily chose this new program so I would really like to go back to my original programs…show me how..also I am not a computer geek!

• Josephine Clements April 12, 2016 at 8:07 am #

I wish to cancel my windows 1o upgrade

2. Albrando June 21, 2015 at 11:07 am #

i want to ask you if you upgrade it to windows 10, will all the apps just gone ? or you need to install it again ? thanks

• tt123trouble July 19, 2015 at 7:49 pm #

which apps are you talking about?

3. ismay luckey July 21, 2015 at 7:52 am #

I am still waiting for a reply to my request of this morning regarding cancellation sometime ago and this was acknowledged by you and said it had been cancelled. Why did I get an email today saying I had reserved windows 19?

• Melvin Paoli October 14, 2015 at 9:59 am #

How do I cancel windows 10 and go back to windows 7

4. ismay luckey July 21, 2015 at 8:03 am #

sorry it should have been windows 10 not 19

5. dimitris July 24, 2015 at 3:19 pm #

plz respind i am pressing check ur upgrade status on the win 10 upp to remove the reservation but the window just says wait for 2-3 min or so what to do and by not reserving do i get the oportunity to free downloading win 10 at any part of the year?

• philura malewski September 30, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

your windows 10 has ruined my computer theprinter wont print games wont play it is just a dudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. carolyn ward July 26, 2015 at 4:57 am #

cancel windows 10

• Mrs M Collins March 3, 2016 at 9:32 am #

I wish to cancel wndows 10 instalation and have not yet received confirmation that this will be so.

7. wheelsey_4 July 29, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

I think that the “Windows 10 Update” can be unchecked (checkbox cleared) inside of the Windows Update utility, right? Or am I wrong?

8. jeanne gibson August 2, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

I clicked keep my reservation, but actually want to cancel it, but can’t find an option to do so, I have NOT received the actual upgrade yet, just acknowledged that it’s coming and I wanted it. but now I don’t. What do I do next ?

• elizabeth morris April 23, 2016 at 4:38 pm #

cancel my reservation to upgrade to 10

9. shavy August 4, 2015 at 5:04 pm #

10. jkattich August 8, 2015 at 9:12 pm #

can windows 10 be cancelled or removed once it’s been downloaded?

11. Calisson August 25, 2015 at 2:38 pm #

Thanks for these instructions! All done, and relieved to be so.

One comment:

It would be helpful for the uninitiated to explain what a “hamburger menu” is. I looked it up, but it would be easy enough for you to write “From here, click the hamburger menu (the three parallel horizontal lines) at the upper left corner.”

12. mrs watts September 11, 2015 at 3:10 am #

I am desperately trying to get back to windows 7, but at 81 yrs of age am finding everything totally confusing. PLEASE put me back to something I can manage. for example why can I not log in,because u refuse to accept the password I have always used.

13. Alfred Di Franco October 7, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

Get it off my computer now Microsoft 10

14. raeburn mattingly December 30, 2015 at 11:15 am #

please remove windows 10 thnk you

15. Betty D March 8, 2016 at 7:47 am #

I do not want to update to WIndows 10. please cancel -It keeps bugging me to upgrade!!!

16. Mrs M Collins March 9, 2016 at 9:44 am #

I keep being bugged with dates/times for windows 10 to be installed. I DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10 and wish to CANCEL ALL SUGGESTED DATES ETC FOR PROPOSED INSTALLATION. I REPEAT, I DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10. HOW DO I CANCEL THE RESERVATION ?????

17. FlowerLady March 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

Thanks SO much for the info. I didn’t like Windows 10 at all!

18. Maarku Rox March 25, 2016 at 3:10 am #

I’ve had the Windows 10 upgrade reserved for a while now but before I upgraded I bought a new computer that came with Windows 10 and although I haven’t found any real issues with it (yet!) I realised I’m not ready to upgrade my old computer, I still need Windows 7 in my life. thanks for info, it’s a big help.

19. adrienne ament April 7, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

I want to CANCEL Windows 10 It has messed up my computer

20. Adam April 18, 2016 at 3:32 am #

Is there any way to cancel a scheduled install of Windows 10

21. Lawrence April 20, 2016 at 4:10 pm #

THANK YOU BRIAN!

22. Penny De Mottt May 13, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

Please cancel Windows 10. This tech non savvy person couldn’t access the things I wanted.

23. larry bell May 23, 2016 at 10:55 am #

i want to cancel windows 10, i did not ask for it and took over and installed itself

24. zachary reed May 23, 2016 at 7:05 pm #

hey im a major gamer and am currently running windows 7 rn and like it my computer is already becoming uncompatible with csgo and and no longer compatible with all the games i used to play i can only run csgo and league now and with windows 10 i could no longer run even csgo its to hard on my computer and i cant afford upgrades right now, i got a prompt to update but it leaves me with no option to opt out of it and this is getting ridiculous my friend had a forced windows 10 update while on vacation and he is pissed. another friend cannot run a few korean games on his PC setup anymore becuse of server block from windows 10 does anyone know how to manually block or prevent windows 10 from downloading? I got to much end of school year work to do to even try and fix this right now so any help would be much appreciated thank you.