Microsoft would love if you put Internet Explorer in the past and started using their modern, secure and current web browser called Edge. We agree,  and we’ve even shown you how to get rid of Internet Explorer once and for all. That said, there are some obscure reasons why you might need to keep using it. And if you have, you may have noticed that Edge has a new presence in Internet Explorer. Starting with the release of Windows 10 version 1607, Microsoft added a mini tab in Internet Explorer just for Edge. It’s conveniently placed next to the new tab button. I wonder why? I am sure you have accidentally clicked on it a few times. This article will show you how to hide it.

Disable the Open Microsoft Edge Tab in Internet Explorer 11

The Microsoft Edge tab in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 is located beside the new tab button. This tab hopes to create a bit of serendipity to get users to try out Microsoft’s new web browser. Sometimes it can get in the way though.

Click the cog icon then click Internet options.

Select the Advanced tab, scroll down to Browsing then check the box Hide the button (next to the New Tab button) that opens Microsoft Edge. Click Apply then OK.

Restart Internet Explorer and you won’t see it again.

Microsoft Edge has something similar called First Run. Brian recently wrote how to disable it. Now, that wasn’t so hard.

Now for the big question, why are you still using Internet Explorer? I am curious to find out. Share your thoughts in the comments.

16 Responses to Quick Tip: Hide the Microsoft Edge Tab button in Internet Explorer on Windows 10

1. John Perryn June 27, 2017 at 7:09 am #

We still use HTA (HTML Applications) and it is unclear if MSIE is required to support these.

2. Joe June 27, 2017 at 7:13 am #

Banking site requires it

3. Joe Delahaye June 27, 2017 at 7:14 am #

Great hint. Never thought to look in that spot . Now if only Edge would work. Starts but does not finish loading and then shuts down 🙁

4. DebbyS June 27, 2017 at 7:52 am #

Thanks for the tip! If it begins to irritate me, I now know how to disappear it. I have found one or two sites so far that seem optimized for Edge, so I copied the url of one site and took it to Edge and added it to Favorites Bar. At this moment I don’t know how to get Edge to see my many, many favorites that are in IE11 (favorites I brought over from the IE11 on my Win 7 computer). I’m probably just missing how to do that. It would be nice if Edge had a “download videos” ability like Pale Moon and other browsers have. If Edge offered more and didn’t act so snooty superior “You’re stuck with me, ha!” (I’m anthropomorphizing it, I know), more people might want to explore it. Right now it is more Technical Boy than I like.

5. Heinz June 27, 2017 at 8:25 am #

I’m using a nifty little program called RoboForm, Edge does not support this program, so I’m using IE, no choice here. Also miss the File Edit menu on top.

6. Howard Bretman June 27, 2017 at 11:03 am #

I have lifetime paid for Roboforms 6 which works on IE11 but so far I have been unable to get it to run on edge or chrome.

7. Steve Jerrell June 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm #

Client still uses IE11 – until they upgrade, we have to continue to code/test for that version of IE.

8. dstetz June 27, 2017 at 3:49 pm #

This is not the time to get rid of IE. There are many sites that will not work correctly under Edge and that changes every time I get a new evaluation release of Windows 10.

9. John Perryn June 27, 2017 at 10:23 pm #

Of course IE 11 needs to be turned on in Settings…!
    Use “Turn Windows features on or off” and check the IE 11 box.

10. robw5sjy July 2, 2017 at 10:41 am #

I have not found a way to save a web page with edge.

11. Steve July 2, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

Silverlight Internet Apps don’t run on anything but IE11. They take time and effort to transition to HTML5.

A lot of organisations have IT standards based on the use of Internet explorer, Edge is arguably better, faster and safer but it takes time to change.

12. david m. July 3, 2017 at 7:53 pm #

what is the difference between edge and windows 10?

because someone says it is better, not faster, that is to ambiguous.

• david m. July 4, 2017 at 5:54 am #

thank you for correction and understanding what I really meant.

from your reply you see nothing special.

13. Howard Bretman July 4, 2017 at 1:56 am #

you are a bit confused David m. windows 10 is the operating system that gets the pc/laptop working. What you run on the pc/laptop are programs or what is now called apps. Edge is an app that operates as a browser to surf the web. I have not had a great deal of success with edge although I have tried it several times and so far have stuck to Google Chrome which is another app/browser.

14. Anoos August 9, 2017 at 9:55 am #

Lots of Federal Government software requires it. So getting rid of it “once and for all” would destroy our business. There’s a couple of million reasons right there.

15. Chris August 10, 2017 at 6:20 am #

Dashlane does not work in Edge. And the latest firefox is getting rid of Flash and other plugins and is causing all kinds of problems for me. . So i’m on IE now… which allows plugins, and dashlane. it’s by default, not my first choice.