The “Spring 2017” release date is fast approaching for the Windows 10 Creators Update, the second major revision of the operating system since 2015. Microsoft has put an immense amount of work into making sure Windows 10 updates happen smoothly. But inevitably, there are a handful of users who experience difficulty during the upgrade.  This is due to the millions of configurations that exist and the complexity of making a product like Windows 10 work on the vast majority of them.

In this post, we’ll show you a few things to do in advance of the Windows 10 Creators Update release. Some of these are simple safeguards that everyone should do. Others are more conservative measures that might only be worth your time if your Windows 10 PC is mission critical.

In this guide, we’ll walk through: backing up your data, creating recovery media, and disabling software and hardware that might interfere with the upgrade. Use this guide for reference for what you need to do to make sure the Windows 10 Creators Update goes off without a hitch.

Before You Begin: Am I Eligible to Upgrade?

The latest cumulative update for Windows 10 now advertises the Windows 10 Creators Update to users who might be interested in becoming early adopters. In Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, you’ll see a message that says “Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?”  If you are excited to be among the first, follow the “Yes, show me how” link to join the upgrade. If you don’t see the link, make sure you have the latest public updates installed already.

1. Check Manufacturer’s Website to Find Out if Your System is Compatible

Manufacturers of various brands actually do a good job of maintaining a list of systems that are compatible with specific versions of Windows 10. Check the following links to see if your system is supported by the Creators Update. If an OEM indicates a particular model is not compatible with Windows 10 1703, it is possible you could still install the update using the clean install method. Of course, the best way to do this is to ensure you have a good backup plan. Windows 10 has included a rollback feature since the first release, but it’s not perfect, so I wouldn’t count on it too much.

2. Download and Create Backup Reinstall Media for Your Current Version of Windows

You don’t want to burn your bridges while trying to upgrade to the Windows 10 Creators Update. It’s pretty much a sure bet that on the day Microsoft releases the Creators Update, they will remove the previous version of Windows 10 from the Media Creation Tool. That means, you won’t be able to download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update anymore or previous versions such as 1511 or 1507, if you need to go back. It turns out, some systems while compatible with a particular version of Windows 10, might not work with the latest release. Reference our comprehensive guides for backing up your system before initiating the installation. If it’s still before the Windows 10 Creators Update release date, you can use the Media Creation Tool now to download a backup copy of the Anniversary Update ISO or you can update your recovery drive, which will create a bootable copy of version 1607 you can use for reinstallation.

3. Make Sure Your System Has Enough Disk Space

Windows 10 requires a minimum 10 GB of free space; just to be safe, the bare minimum I would recommend is 16 GBs. Windows 10 Creators Update setup is more sensitive to disk space challenges. Now would be a good time to invest in a USB thumb drive or external hard disk with a minimum 16 GB of free space. Setup can use such storage devices to help facilitate the upgrade just in case.

You can also run the routine clean up chores such as Windows 10’s built-in storage clean up tools and the good old disk cleanup wizard. If you still can’t make a dent in cleaning up enough space for the upgrade, check out our tutorial for Jam Software’s TreeSize, a free utility that makes it easy to find those stubborn large files.

4. Connect to a UPS, Ensure Battery is Charged and PC is Plugged In

In a perfect world, the Windows 10 Creators Update would download in 25 minutes, then install within 10 to 15 minutes. This might be the case for many users, but for other users, it won’t be such smooth sailing. While Microsoft has made significant progress reducing the size of Windows updates, the Windows 10 Creators Update will be a large update. That’s just the Windows update part—the installation is the most complex sequence of setup. Windows 10 will have to decompress files, move around key operating system files and personal files, and reconfigure everything to work with your hardware.  Essentially, Windows is giving you a clean installation of the new operating system without disrupting your configuration or personal data. It’s a delicate balancing act which can actually extend the time it takes to complete the upgrade. So, make sure your laptop’s battery is working and charged up, and if you are upgrading a desktop, connect it to a UPS. There’s nothing more disastrous than an interrupted Windows update.

Editor’s note: Okay, those are the things everyone ought to do before upgrading. The rest of these tips I would say are optional for most users. But if you’ve ever experienced difficulty upgrading Windows, or if you want to be 100% sure your upgrade goes smoothly, check out the following.

5. Disable Your Antivirus Utility – In fact, uninstall it…

Trust me on this one. Contrary to what industry experts might say, security software remains one of the most common causes of issues during major operating system upgrades. After all, it’s doing what it’s supposed to do: blocking changes to your system configuration. Antivirus software will sometimes detect and assume an unexpected update making a major modification to system files might be an attack in progress. The same goes for software such as your firewall. To avoid false positives, Microsoft usually recommends updating the antivirus software before upgrading; you could try your luck and see if it works. If it doesn’t, then you likely know the reason why. Below are some links to instructions on how to disable popular security utilities. After the upgrade is complete, you can always reinstall your antivirus utility.

6. Disable All Background Software

Startup programs can also interfere with setup; disabling them by performing a clean boot can help.

7. Disable Peripherals and External USB Devices

It turns out devices such as your smart card reader can confuse setup. This is especially the case if you are performing an offline upgrade using USB media. Common USB storage devices such as external hard disks can also confuse setup, so, if you have those attached, disconnect them. The same goes for peripherals such as your printer and scanner. The best recommendation is to have a simple configuration, no more than a keyboard and mouse.

If you have an SD card reader, eject your media before upgrading. You can also uninstall your SD card reader as n extra measure. Press Windows key + X > Device Manager > Memory technology devices. Right click SD Controllers, then click uninstall. If there is more than one, right click each, then click Uninstall.

8. Update or Disable Display Adapters

Some installations call for more advanced preparation. Your display adapter can actually be an upgrade blocker, too. This commonly occurs when you see a black screen during the installation then setup automatically rolls back. Uninstalling your video card driver is known to help. Also, if you have multiple displays connected, only keep one attached for the duration of the installation. In some cases, updating the video card driver to the latest version can help too.

To uninstall a video card driver, press Windows key + X > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Right click your video card driver then click uninstall.

9. Disconnect from the Internet When Using an ISO

If you plan on using the ISO media to upgrade, disconnect from the Internet during setup. There are multiple ways to do this: you can disconnect the Ethernet cable manually, or if you are connected to a wireless network, you can manually disable Wi-Fi by turning off the Wireless switch on your laptop. An easier way to do it is to open Action Center (press Windows key + A), then click Airplane Mode. This will disable all network technologies. Proceed with the upgrade.

If you are updating through Windows Update when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

10. Skip “Get Important Updates”

I noticed over the past few releases of Windows 10, the upgrade wizard can take it’s own sweet time to start if you choose the option to Get important updates. I recommend you choose Not right now. If you do choose it and setup appears to be taking ridiculously long to move past this stage, close the setup wizard and restart your machine.

11. Switch to a Local User Account

Computers connected to a Windows Server Domain should either switch to a local user account on the machine or leave the domain before attempting setup. See the section of the following article, Leave a Domain: How to Join a Windows 10 PC to a Domain – groovyPost

12. Run these Commands to Resolve Any System Integrity Issues

The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command is a handy diagnostic tool for resolving file integrity issues that might prevent a successful install. Users can run the following commands as part of their prep routine before initiating the upgrade.

Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) then type each command then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Another command you should run is the cleanup driver. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) then type the following command and hit Enter on your keyboard. Restart your computer when complete. This should help with the notorious failed or non-responsive installation during the driver migration.

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Conclusion

The point of this guide isn’t to scare you into avoiding a Windows 10 Creators Update upgrade. For most users, the upgrade can and will be successful without performing any of the steps above. But for those who seem to have bad luck or can’t afford a failed upgrade, knowing common causes of upgrade issues can save you a lot of time and hassle.

With each new Windows revision, there will always be the unexpected and it will be a learning experience in the process. You can check out our handy Windows 10 article for more details about resolving some of the common install errors users are likely to encounter. Our vibrant Windows 10 forum is also a great resource for finding solutions too.

Have you upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update? How did it go? Let us know in the comments.

23 Responses to 12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703)

1. Gisabun March 30, 2017 at 7:25 pm #

#10 could be an issue if there is a critical fix released by MS that could cause the upgrade to fail.
    In addition, there is a way to include the latest CU during the installation on the ISO or USB key [most likely since you may not have enough room on the DVD.

2. kevin go April 2, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

With all windows upgrades since windows 95.
    I have found the easiest and I think the best way is to partition your hard drive into at least 2 parts or have a small hdd for just the operating system and a large hdd for all your storage.

Install fresh, which OS of your choosing, windows or linux onto the small partition 80GB is more than enough.
    If you are lucky and have 2 hdds, then install to smaller one. when installed, add the second drive that has all your data.

This method works 99% of the time without a hitch. Clean start install programs as and when needed.
    Keeping your system lean,

3. neil April 11, 2017 at 1:25 am #

I’m assuming this is a typo. I don’t remember version 1507.
    “versions such as 1511 or 1507”

• Andre Da Costa April 18, 2017 at 10:42 am #

1507 – July 2015 (Threshold)
      1511 – November Update (Threshold 2)
      1607 – Anniversary Update (Redstone)
      1703 – Creators Update (Redstone 2)

4. Rosa Maria Gonzalez April 22, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

Since I updated to Creaters four days ago my life has become a nightmare. Word 2016/Office 365 stop working properly. I can’t paste any text copied from Word onto other programs (Internet, Outlook, Publisher, etc.), I can’t print, I can’t save pdf documents, I can’t choose the folder in which I want to save a new documents. This is an ESSENTIAL function for my work and this has represented an important interruption to my work. No forum nor Morgana appears to have suggestions on how to get this solve. The system worked perfectly until the update.

5. tannis April 23, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

1703 has pc admin rights now.CD with MSI drivers and utilies dont run.Corel video studio wont open,also Handbrake software….win 10 v 1703 is a nightmare for sure

6. Mike April 27, 2017 at 10:05 am #

Cant use my vpn after update.

7. Rae May 3, 2017 at 2:49 pm #

Beware of the “Clean install Windows 10”, it has the version 1703.

8. Bob May 15, 2017 at 1:13 pm #

Updated yesterday and lost most, 98%, of my favorites list.

9. Eric Hoefnagel May 19, 2017 at 9:31 am #

Same problem here….but….it was actually real simple to go back to the Version 1607. And it cleared up all the problems I had after updating to Version 1703. I am still puzzled why my desktop computer would not accept Version 1703.

10. Big Dan May 22, 2017 at 3:52 pm #

Read an article about updating to the Creators Edition version 1703 (Redstone 2) (don’t remember who it was from) saying everyone should wait until you see the update available thru Windows Update because of all the problems people have encountered when they manually installed the new version.

I just wondered if the new version update thru Windows Update (1 1/2 months since the supposedly update was released on April 11, 2017) will get here before the next update release due in Sep/Oct 2017.

I tried the new update version about 2 weeks after the release date and had nothing but problems like the ones reported here(BSOD, computer crashes, some programs not working properly).

As big as Microsoft is and as long as they been in this business, they should review and test these new OS versions a lot longer that trying to put them out every 6 months.

This is one good example of a rush to put out a new version that resulted in a huge number of problems.

11. Turd Burgler May 25, 2017 at 11:25 pm #

Ok, due to all these horror stories, this update is scaring the last meal I ate right out of me.

12. Jeannie C May 26, 2017 at 12:11 pm #

After the Creator update installed on a relatively new Dell PC that came with Windows 10, only a handful of folders and files displayed in Windows Explorer. None of Microsoft’s FAQ suggestions worked. I finally found them buried in the OS C; drive with no clue how to make them easily accessible. Am now into 4th hour of remote control by Microsoft tech support, reinstalling Windows 10 – utterly ridiculous, especially since I don’t give a fig for most of the new features!

13. Rezta May 29, 2017 at 8:39 am #

I can’t use the Windows Defender after the update. How am i going to fix this? Thanks!

14. Dave May 30, 2017 at 2:47 am #

I’ve tried installing the Creators Update several times using various methods (except automatic Windows Update), but every time, it seems to complete, reboots several times then reinstalls the previous version.

I’ll wait until it comes through the automatic update system, then try the suggestions here.

15. sri_barence June 2, 2017 at 2:03 pm #

Just today (2 June 2017) I allowed Windows to install the Creators Update. After reboot, the touchscreen stopped working. The listing for the touchscreen (HID-compliant touchscreen) disappeared from Device Manager. I tried everything I could think of to fix the thing. Nothing worked. Finally I rolled back to the previous build (1607). Now everything works again.

16. Bernardette Enochian June 5, 2017 at 12:01 am #

I didn’t get the warning about creating a backup before going with the Windows 10 update. All my other updates were simple. This update has created a nightmare! I lost Google Chrome and FVDSpeedDial where all my favorites are. I’ve tried reinstalling Google Chrome but all I get is a blank white screen and a note that says it’s trying to contact FVD Speed Dial and it hangs right there.
    Everything was so simple before the update. Now everything is complicated and I DON’T LIKE EDGE!!!
    I can’t fix it and I’m going to have to PAY someone else to fix it for me (besides the inconvenience of having to lug my computer out to the car and over to my computer guy).

17. Wendy Lee June 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm #

after the 21th time of this cumulative, waist of time, nightmare from HELL!!! It quit trying to install and all is good in the neighborhood, SO FAR…

18. John Wulf June 7, 2017 at 6:46 am #

I have a client who has W10 1607. For the past 4 days the PC has INSTALLED 1703 DURING business(active) hours, then rebooted, then failed the update, then restored to the previous version of windows. Causing my client to loose his desktop for 2 to 3 hours per day. GEEEZUS what a nightmare. Found this post, and thought, ok I will have to leave the PC naked and vulnerable (no video drivers, no antivirus, no firewall, no internet, no domain) just to get this piece of shit update? and then if it doesn’t work, I have wasted what, 3 to 6 hours of my time and his money, (in an overnight situation because he can’t be without his PC during the day anymore), uninstalling all this software, watching the update fail, then reinstalling it so he can use the PC the next day…..? I am not complaining about the recommendations, but the fact that this is what is required to get a MS update to go? OHhhh for the days of SKIP THIS UPDATE in windows update settings.

19. Malcolm Whatmough June 10, 2017 at 2:43 am #

After the update 1703. Microsoft Edge will open,but it closes again and will not work!

20. Jeannie C. June 13, 2017 at 11:32 am #

Just an update to my May 26 post re problems with auto update to a six-month old Dell that came with Windows 10 — after 3 calls to Microsoft tech support, most of the problems were fixed. The hardest one was to restore the display fonts on Web pages, browser toolbars, Outlook, other Office programs. Unfortunately, I lost programs in the process including Dell Support and Assist (really!), iTunes, et. al. Like one of the other commenters, I now have to decide whether to pay someone to help me re-install all these things (my go-to woman can do it remotely, so no lugging of computer to car) or attempt to do it myself. What a colossal mess!

21. JZB_Win10 June 17, 2017 at 4:43 pm #

After forcing new update, which failed twice (What a crap!), it took over 20 hrs of downloading, installing, waiting and diagnosing to finally get the Error number: “Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 – Error 0x80246010”. Unfortunately, the MS has no fix for that – the “wu170509.diagcab” troubleshooter downloaded from MS web could not fix it. The MS community was not helpful either. How on earth, the MS can force innocent PC users to accept the “improvement” which turns their PCs into bricks 🙁