Animated Memoji have now reached macOS with the Monterey update. If you want to use Memoji on your lock screen (and elsewhere), follow the steps in this guide.
One of the newest macOS Monterey features is the ability to add an animated Memoji to the Mac Lock Screen. This means you can display an animated Memoji as your account icon when you sign in.
It follows the introduction of Memoji on macOS Big Sur a year earlier. The animated characters were first launched on iPhone and iPad a few years ago. If you want to use Memoji’s on your lock screen, here’s what you’ll need to do.
How to Use Memoji as a Login Picture on Mac
Though initially used solely in the Messages app, Memoji can now be used on your Mac’s Lock Screen in macOS Monterey. To use a Memoji as your account icon, you’ll need to create one first.
To create and use Memoji as your Mac’s login picture:
- Open System Preferences on your Mac.
- Select Users & Groups.
- Choose the Lock icon at the bottom left.
- If prompted, log in with your Mac password so you can make changes.
- Select the user on the left side above the Lock icon.
- Click on the current icon for the user on the right, selecting Edit.
- Select the Memoji tab on the right side.
- Click the add icon to create a new Memoji.
- Customize the features for your Memoji on the left side. You can personalize it by altering a number of facial features, whether it’s changing the skin color to customizing the eyewear.
- Click Done when you’re finished.
- Choose the Pose tab, then choose the stylized pose you’re looking to use for your Memoji.
- Next, select the Style tab and choose a style.
- Select Save.
That’s it! You’ll now see an animated Memoji on your Mac Lock Screen, as you can see below.
Using Memoji Stickers in Mac Messages
Once you’ve created your personalized Memoji, you can use it elsewhere on your Mac. For example, you may decide to use Memoji sticker packs in your messages.
Sticker packs are customized emojis that you can send in the Messages app and elsewhere. Apple tends to update the available sticker packs with each new macOS release.
To use Memoji sticker packs in the Messages app on Mac:
- Open Messages on your Mac and create a message.
- Click on the icon to the left of the iMessage box at the bottom.
- Next, select Memoji Stickers.
- Select a sticker to use.
- Click send to send it.
Keeping Track of Your Memoji
If you’re using two-factor authentication, your Memoji will sync across all of your compatible devices. You’ll need to be signed into the devices with the same Apple ID, however, and your device’s iCloud Drive functionality will need to be switched on.
You can edit, duplicate, and delete your Memoji at any time by following these steps:
- Open Messages.
- Choose the Compose button to start a new message. For added functionality, you can also use an existing conversation.
- Tap the Memoji button or the Memoji Stickers button.
- Select the Memoji you want to change.
- Next, tap the More button, then choose Edit, Duplicate, or Delete.
- Choose Done.
Plenty to See in macOS Monterey
Each new year brings a new macOS update and new exciting features.
Using your Memoji on Mac is just the start—you can also begin using Shortcuts on Mac to speed up your daily tasks. You could also consider using Apple Focus, a new way to organize your notifications and communication throughout the day.
Of course, if you’re sick of Apple’s OS, there’s another way. You could switch from macOS Monterey to Windows 11 and take advantage of the latest features in Microsoft’s latest operating system instead.