How to Insert Lorem Ipsum or Random Text into a Microsoft Word Document

Insert Lorem Ipsum or Random Text into Microsoft Word Document

Microsoft Word (All versions) has a hidden feature that allows you to easily insert Lorem Ipsum or Random text into your document. I actually use the feature all the Word 2007, 2010, and the latest Word 2013 has a groovy feature that allows you to create Random text or Lorem Ipsum text quickly and easily using a simple command. It’s very convenient for bloggers who need to create a mock website with dummy text or create a mockup of something for a PowerPoint presentation.

So first let’s review the command for Lorem Ipsum and then consider the command for inserting Random Text into a word document.

Editors note: As of 2017, only the Windows version of Microsoft Word supports inserting Lorem Ipsum. Microsoft Word for Mac only supports inserting Random text.

Insert Lorem Ipsum into a Microsoft Word document

Type =lorem() into a new or existing Word document and hit the enter key.

insert-lorem-ipsum-microsoft-word

Inserting Random text works in exactly the same way.

Insert Random Text into a Microsoft Word document

Type =rand() into a new or existing Word document to insert Random text.

insert-random-text-microsoft-word

Additional Features

Although you can use the commands above, Microsoft also allows you to change the default behavior by modifying the syntax a bit. Very handy if you want to control how much text is generated.

• Use the Syntax =lorem(paragraph,sentence) or =rand(paragraph,sentence)
    • =lorem(3,9) will create Lorem Ipsum text output with 3 Paragraphs each with 9 Sentences
    • =rand(4,3) will create Random text output with 4 Paragraphs each with 3 Sentences
  • Word 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007 support the =lorem() syntax
  • Word 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and 2003 support the =rand() syntax

Article originally published 4/8/2008. Updated 8/8/2017.

10 Responses to How to Insert Lorem Ipsum or Random Text into a Microsoft Word Document

1. jjacks April 10, 2008 at 9:48 am #

Great tip. That’s a new one for me! Would almost classify this as an “easter egg”.

Thanks GroovyDude

2. MrGroove April 10, 2008 at 4:06 pm #

@JJacks – Appreciate the feedback! The feature is actually documented in KB212251 which is why I didn’t call it an Easter Egg. It is however one of the more obscure features in the Microsoft Office family.

3. Bill Peschka February 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

If the title is “How-To Insert Loren Ipsum into Microsoft Word 2010 or 2007 Document” and the Additional Info says lorem() only works in 2007, couldn’t the title be shortened and the footnote eliminated?

• MrGroove May 22, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Hi Bill – Just tested Word 2010 and it look like it’s working now so I updated the article again. Thanks for the comment.

4. David Ferrier October 29, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Minor typo:
    •Word 2007, 2010 ***support*** the =lorem() syntax
    •Word 2003, 2007 and 2010 ***supports*** the =rand() syntax

I suggest both comments use “support”

5. You can get free plastation network codes here. November 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I’ll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me realize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

6. DB April 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

Not working for me. Is there some setting I need to fix? When I type it, all I get is a paragraph return. Any ideas? Thanks!

7. Bill Peschka April 23, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

What version of Word?
    What are you typing that doesn’t work?

8. DB April 24, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Bill, I am in Word 2007 (still). At the top of a new document I typed =lorem(3,3) just to see if it would work. When I hit enter, I simply moved to the next line; no new text appeared. I’m hopeful that this is user error because I think it would be cool to use. Thanks for following up.

9. Bill Peschka April 24, 2013 at 9:21 am #

DB
    I’m on 2010 so can’t match your experience. I remember having no problem in 2007, but believe I was using the =rand(3,3) rather than lorem..

So, my only suggestion would be to try rand()

Good Luck