The new Disney Plus streaming service is rolling out like gangbusters. It saw nearly 10 million subscribers on the first day and gains millions more every week. If you’ve been holding out, and a Verizon Wireless customer in the United States, you can get one year of Disney Plus for free. Here’s how to do it.
For a limited time, Verizon Wireless is offering a one-year free membership to the Disney Plus streaming video service to those customers with an unlimited plan. It’s also available for anyone who switches to 5G Home Internet. After the year, you can continue watching Disney Plus at the regular price of $6.99 per month.
Eligible plans include the Verizon Unlimited plan, Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited, Above Unlimited, Get More Unlimited, Do More Unlimited, Play More Unlimited, and Start Unlimited. Business accounts are not eligible. Additionally, the Disney Plus offer is only for new Fios and 5G Home customers. Again, business accounts are not eligible.
Is Disney Plus Really Free?
If you have an eligible Verizon Wireless plan or only recently signed up for Fios and 5G Home, you can take advantage of the free Disney Plus promotion. The offer is only for Disney Plus, however, and doesn’t include Hulu or ESPN+, which are available separately or through a special bundle that’s being offered directly from Disney. In this case, however, Disney will automatically credit you the value of the Disney Plus Verizon promotion each month as long as you stay enrolled. To receive the credit each month, you must subscribe to the bundle using the same email address that’s associated with your Disney Plus account.
You can also switch to the bundle after you get your Verizon Wireless offer. To do so, you’ll next to log into your Disney Plus account, then choose Billing Details. From there, select Switch to Disney bundle.
Additionally, if you have already signed up for Disney Plus and are a Verizon Wireless customer, you can qualify for the special deal. In this case, you’ll need to sign up (again) through the Verizon customer portal then follow the directions to pause the previously created account.
How to Sign Up for the Promotion
To take advantage of this special deal as a Verizon Wireless customer, you’ll need to use the My Verizon app.
- Open the My Verizon app.
- Tap the Menu icon in the top left
- Choose Account.
- Sign in using your login information
- Under the Entertainment tab, choose to Learn More under Disney Plus.
- Review and accept the Terms and Conditions, then tap Confirm.
- On the Disney Plus enrollment screen, tap Continue.
Follow these steps on the Disney Plus login page:
- Enter your email address. This address cannot be one that’s already in use by an active Disney Plus account.
- Enter a password and click Continue.
You’ll be prompted to install the Disney Plus app on your device. From there, you can begin enjoying Disney Plus on any supported device.
Fios customers looking to receive Disney Plus for free will receive an email with an access link to sign up. The email will arrive once the Fios installation at your home is complete.
What is Disney Plus?
Launched in November 2019, Disney Plus is built around legacy content from Disney’s major entertainment studios. These include Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, and National Geographic. At launch, Disney+ also includes select films from 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, and Touchstone Pictures. At the start, the service consists of over 7,000 television episodes and 500 films, with more expected to get added in the weeks and months ahead.
The service includes closed captioning and descriptive audio, some Disney Plus content is available in English, Spanish, Dutch, French, and additional languages. It also streams in resolutions up to 4K Ultra HD in Dolby Vision and HDR 10. Where available, it also supports Dolby Atmos sound.
The streaming service also features original scripted and non-scripted content.
Disney has plans to add a boatload of original content to its Disney Plus service, including:
- “The Mandalorian,” an outer-space adventure set after the events of the original Star Wars trilogy.
- “Earth to Ned,” a half-hour talk show from the Jim Henson Company. Think The Tonight Show hosted by extraterrestrial Muppets with real celebrity guests.
- Up to eight new Marvel Cinematic Universe television series, including “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” and “WandaVision.”
- An untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars series starring Ewan McGregor.
- “Diary of a Female President” from CBS Television Studios.
- Reimagined versions of classic films, including Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Cheaper by the Dozen.
Disney Plus is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. It launches in early 2020 in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland, and locations in Western and Eastern Europe, the Asia-Pacific, and Latin America.
A Disney+ subscription comes with a free seven-day trial. Non-Verizon customers can sign up for an account via the Disney Plus website and through the various apps on supported devices.