Windows 8 keyboard shortcut keys can save you a lot of time. Here’s a complete list of all the shortcut keys we’ve found in Windows 8 along with General keys as well.
If you’ve installed Windows 8 in a VM, I’m finding Keyboard-Shortcuts are going to be your friend. Below is a list of Shortcuts I’ve found so far for Metro. I’m sure I’ve missed about… a million so if you see any I’ve not listed, please add your findings to the comments so we can build a nice comprehensive list.
I expect most of the standard desktop keyboard shortcuts from Windows 7 will still work outside the Metro UI so I’m only going to focus on Windows 8 Metro Keyboard Shortcut keys here. If you see something missing form the list below, please drop it in the comments and I’ll add it to the chart.
Charms : Icons on the right which offer Search, Share, Start Menu, Devices and Settings.
Windows Key : Windows Logo Key on a standard keyboard built for the Microsoft Windows OS.
App Key : Application Key picturing a Mouse Cursor on a Menu. Normally found to the Right of the Spacebar on a standard keyboard.
ESC : Escape Key on a standard keyboard.
Shift : Shift Key on a standard keyboard.
ALT : ALT Key on a standard keyboard.
PgUp / PgDown : The Page Up and Page Down Key on a standard keyboard.
Metro UI : Touch sensitive Windows 8 UI based off the Windows 7 Phone Metro UI Interface. The Metro “desktop” hosts all Metro based Apps and Non-Metro based Icons.
Windows 8 Metro Keyboard Shortcut Keys
|Windows Key||Jump between Start Metro Desktop and Previous App|
|ESC||Return to Previous App|
|Windows Key + spacebar||Switch input language and keyboard layout|
|Windows Key + Y||Peek at the Desktop|
|Windows Key + X||Open Windows 8 Advanced Tools Context Menu|
|Windows Key + O||Lock device orientation|
|Windows Key + V||Cycle through toasts|
|Windows Key + Shift + V||Cycle through toasts in reverse order|
|Windows Key + Enter||Launch Narrator|
|Windows Key + PgUp||Move Tiles to the Left|
|Windows Key + PgDown||Move Tiles to the Right|
|Windows Key + Shift + .||Move Metro App Split Screen Left|
|Windows Key + .||Move Metro App Split Screen Right|
|Winodws Key + S||Open App Search|
|Windows Key + F||Open File Search|
|Windows Key + C||Open Charms Bar|
|Windows Key + I||Open Charms Settings|
|Windows Key + K||Opens Connect Charm|
|Windows Key + H||Open Share Charm|
|Windows Key + Q||Open Search Pane|
|Windows Key + W||Open Search Settings|
|Windows Key + Z||Open App Bar|
|Arrow Keys||Select Metro Apps Left, Right, Up, Down|
|CTRL + Arrow Right||Move 1 Page Right on Metro UI Menu|
|CTRL + Arrow Left||Move 1 Page Left on Metro UI Menu|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Right||Move Metro App Right|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Left||Move Metro App Left|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Up||Move Metro App Up|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Down||Move Metro App Down|
|Windows Key + L||Lock Screen|
|Windows Key + E||Launch Windows Explorer on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + R||Launch Run Box on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + P||Projector Mode – Select Projector Output|
|Windows Key + U||Launch Ease of Access Center|
|Windows Key + T||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + X||Launch Windows Mobility Center on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + B||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Taskbar Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + M||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Desktop Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + D||Jump to Desktop Mode from anywhere|
|Arrow Key, App Key||Display Unpin Option and Advanced Metro Icon Icons|
|ALT + F4 Key||Closes the active app.|
|ALT + F4 Key (From the Desktop)||Shutdown, Sleep, Switch User, Restart Computer|
General Keyboard Shortcuts
- F1 :: Display Help
- F2 :: Rename the selected item
- F3 :: Search for a file or folder
- F4 :: Display the Address bar list in Windows Explorer
- F5 – Refresh the active window
- F6 :: Cycle through screen elements in a window or on the desktop
- F7 :: Check Spelling in open document
- F10 :: Activate the menu bar in the active program
- CTRL+A :: Select all items in a document or window
- CTRL+C :: Copy the selected item
- CTRL+X :: Cut the selected item
- CTRL+V :: Paste the selected item
- CTRL+Z :: Undo an action
- CTRL+Y :: Redo an action
- SHIFT+DELETE :: Delete the selected item without moving it to the Recycle Bin first (Outlook Tip also)
- SHIFT+F10 :: Display the shortcut menu for the selected item
- SHIFT when you insert a CD :: Prevent the CD from automatically playing
- CTRL+ESC :: Open the Start menu
- CTRL+SHIFT with an arrow key :: Select a block of text
- CTRL+SHIFT+ESC :: Open Task Manager
- CTRL+F4 :: Close the active document (in programs that allow you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
- CTRL+ALT+TAB :: Use the arrow keys to switch between open items
- CTRL+Mouse scroll wheel :: Change the size of icons on the desktop
- ALT+ESC :: Cycle through items in the order in which they were opened
- ALT+ENTER :: Display properties for the selected item
- ALT+F4 :: Close the active item, or exit the active program
- ALT+SPACEBAR :: Open the shortcut menu for the active window
- ALT+UP ARROW :: View the folder one level up in Windows Explorer
- ALT+TAB :: Switch between open items
- ALT+SHIFT+TAB :: Switch between open items in reverse order
- Windows logo key + TAB :: Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Windows Flip 3-D
- CTRL+Windows logo key + TAB :: Use the arrow keys to cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Windows Flip 3-D
- ESC :: Cancel the current task
Did I miss one? Drop it in the comments.