Windows 8 keyboard shortcut keys can save you a lot of time. Here’s a complete list of all the shortcut keys we’ve found in Windows 8 along with General keys as well.
If you’ve installed Windows 8 in a VM, I’m finding Keyboard-Shortcuts are going to be your friend. Below is a list of Shortcuts I’ve found so far for Metro. I’m sure I’ve missed about… a million so if you see any I’ve not listed, please add your findings to the comments so we can build a nice comprehensive list.
I expect most of the standard desktop keyboard shortcuts from Windows 7 will still work outside the Metro UI so I’m only going to focus on Windows 8 Metro Keyboard Shortcut keys here. If you see something missing from the list below, please drop it in the comments and I’ll add it to the chart. Also, be sure to check out our complete list of keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10 if you’re no longer on Windows 8.
Charms : Icons on the right which offer Search, Share, Start Menu, Devices, and Settings.
Windows Key : Windows Logo Key on a standard keyboard built for the Microsoft Windows OS.
App Key : Application Key picturing a Mouse Cursor on a Menu. Normally found to the Right of the Spacebar on a standard keyboard.
ESC : Escape Key on a standard keyboard.
Shift : Shift Key on a standard keyboard.
ALT : ALT Key on a standard keyboard.
PgUp / PgDown : The Page Up and Page Down Key on a standard keyboard.
Metro UI : Touch sensitive Windows 8 UI based off the Windows 7 Phone Metro UI Interface. The Metro “desktop” hosts all Metro based Apps and Non-Metro based Icons.
Windows 8 Metro Keyboard Shortcut Keys
|Windows Key||Jump between Start Metro Desktop and Previous App|
|ESC||Return to Previous App|
|Windows Key + spacebar||Switch input language and keyboard layout|
|Windows Key + Y||Peek at the Desktop|
|Windows Key + X||Open Windows 8 Advanced Tools Context Menu|
|Windows Key + O||Lock device orientation|
|Windows Key + V||Cycle through toasts|
|Windows Key + Shift + V||Cycle through toasts in reverse order|
|Windows Key + Enter||Launch Narrator|
|Windows Key + PgUp||Move Tiles to the Left|
|Windows Key + PgDown||Move Tiles to the Right|
|Windows Key + Shift + .||Move Metro App Split Screen Left|
|Windows Key + .||Move Metro App Split Screen Right|
|Winodws Key + S||Open App Search|
|Windows Key + F||Open File Search|
|Windows Key + C||Open Charms Bar|
|Windows Key + I||Open Charms Settings|
|Windows Key + K||Opens Connect Charm|
|Windows Key + H||Open Share Charm|
|Windows Key + Q||Open Search Pane|
|Windows Key + W||Open Search Settings|
|Windows Key + Z||Open App Bar|
|Arrow Keys||Select Metro Apps Left, Right, Up, Down|
|CTRL + Arrow Right||Move 1 Page Right on Metro UI Menu|
|CTRL + Arrow Left||Move 1 Page Left on Metro UI Menu|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Right||Move Metro App Right|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Left||Move Metro App Left|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Up||Move Metro App Up|
|Arrow Key, ALT + Arrow Down||Move Metro App Down|
|Windows Key + L||Lock Screen|
|Windows Key + E||Launch Windows Explorer on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + R||Launch Run Box on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + P||Projector Mode – Select Projector Output|
|Windows Key + U||Launch Ease of Access Center|
|Windows Key + T||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + X||Launch Windows Mobility Center on Classic Desktop|
|Windows Key + B||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Taskbar Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + M||Launch Classic Desktop with Arrow Key Desktop Icon Selection|
|Windows Key + D||Jump to Desktop Mode from anywhere|
|Arrow Key, App Key||Display Unpin Option and Advanced Metro Icon Icons|
|ALT + F4 Key||Closes the active app.|
|ALT + F4 Key (From the Desktop)||Shutdown, Sleep, Switch User, Restart Computer|
General Keyboard Shortcuts
- F1 :: Display Help
- F2 :: Rename the selected item
- F3 :: Search for a file or folder
- F4 :: Display the Address bar list in Windows Explorer
- F5 – Refresh the active window
- F6 :: Cycle through screen elements in a window or on the desktop
- F7 :: Check Spelling in open document
- F10 :: Activate the menu bar in the active program
- CTRL+A :: Select all items in a document or window
- CTRL+C :: Copy the selected item
- CTRL+X :: Cut the selected item
- CTRL+V :: Paste the selected item
- CTRL+Z :: Undo an action
- CTRL+Y :: Redo an action
- SHIFT+DELETE :: Delete the selected item without moving it to the Recycle Bin first (Outlook Tip also)
- SHIFT+F10 :: Display the shortcut menu for the selected item
- SHIFT when you insert a CD :: Prevent the CD from automatically playing
- CTRL+ESC :: Open the Start menu
- CTRL+SHIFT with an arrow key :: Select a block of text
- CTRL+SHIFT+ESC :: Open Task Manager
- CTRL+F4 :: Close the active document (in programs that allow you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
- CTRL+ALT+TAB :: Use the arrow keys to switch between open items
- CTRL+Mouse scroll wheel :: Change the size of icons on the desktop
- ALT+ESC :: Cycle through items in the order in which they were opened
- ALT+ENTER :: Display properties for the selected item
- ALT+F4 :: Close the active item, or exit the active program
- ALT+SPACEBAR :: Open the shortcut menu for the active window
- ALT+UP ARROW :: View the folder one level up in Windows Explorer
- ALT+TAB :: Switch between open items
- ALT+SHIFT+TAB :: Switch between open items in reverse order
- Windows logo key + TAB :: Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Windows Flip 3-D
- CTRL+Windows logo key + TAB :: Use the arrow keys to cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Windows Flip 3-D
- ESC :: Cancel the current task
Did I miss one? Drop it in the comments.