How Do I Completely Uninstall Software On Windows?

When you uninstall a program from Windows via Add or Remove programs, or with the program’s uninstaller, it leaves a lot of remnants behind. Things left behind are folders, temp files, icons, registry entries and more. If you want to completely uninstall all traces of a program, just follow this guide that I use to remove everything.

Keep in mind this method isn’t for everyone, especially the later part where I manually clean entries from the Registry.

For this example I’m uninstalling Mathon web browser – not because it isn’t a good browser but because I need to sacrifice an application to the uninstall gods for this article.

Revo Uninstaller

First I use Revo Uninstaller Pro ($39.00). There is also a free version you can download from Ninite that includes fewer options but still does a good job getting rid of extra entries.

Launch Revo Uninstaller and you’ll see a list of the programs you have installed on your system. It also lists programs that aren’t listed in Add/Remove programs in Windows. Right click the program you want to remove and click Uninstall.
RevoUnisntaller Pro

Then Revo Uninstaller Pro will create a System Restore Point and Full Registry Backup. It does this automatically every time you uninstall a program. This is extremely handy because if something goes wrong with the uninstall, you can easily restore you system and Registry back.

peforming Removeal

After safely backing up your system and Registry, the native uninstaller for the program you’re uninstalling will kick off. Simply follow the uninstall wizard.

ap uninstaler

After you complete the program’s uninstall wizard, go back to Revo and select Advanced for the Scanning Mode. Click Scan.

Revo Scanning

Revo scans your system for leftover files and registry settings. You’ll surprised how many entries native app installers leave behind.

Go through the list and check only the entries it found that are marked as blue. The other folders are system folders your system needs. This is why it’s so nice that Revo creates a restore point and Registry backup. After you select all the leftovers, click Delete.

remove entries

A verification message will come up asking if you’re sure. Click Yes.

Verify

If there are other leftover files or folders, you’ll click Next and delete those. Like in this instance where I uninstalled XBMC.

delete files

Voidtools Everything

Next I use another one of my favorite utilities – Everything by Voidtools. Type in the name of the program you just deleted and remove all entries it finds. Another tip is to search for the name of the software company who made the program.

Everything

Manually Clean Registry

After that, the last thing I do to make sure all traces of the program are removed is search the Registry and delete all entries of the program.

Note: Before you start doing anything in the Registry, Back it Up!

Click start and type: regedit in the Search box. Hit Enter.

regedit

The Registry Editor comes up. Hit F3 on your keyboard to bring up the Search box. Type in the name of the program and click Find Next.

search

When an entry is found go ahead and hit Delete. Then hit F3 to Find the next one and continue.

reg entry

Continue deleting entries until the full Registry has been searched. I prefer to clean the Registry myself versus using a Registry cleaner program. A lot of times a Registry cleaner utility can delete important entries you need for a program to work.

Be careful while in the Registry and deleting entries though. I don’t recommend this for a beginner at all. But if you’re a power user and know Windows really well, it’s an effective method.

finished

, , ,

13 Responses to How Do I Completely Uninstall Software On Windows?

1. Ziggy February 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Hi Brian… Another tool that I use (and somewhat similar to Revo Uninstaller) is Iobit Uninstaller 2.1 which also creates a Restore Point prior to any unistall. These people also have a free program called ToolBox, with some handy features

To check up on registry remnants I use Auslogics Registry Cleaner Free, which is fairly mild but effective. Ccleaner also comes with a registry cleaner.

As always create a System Restore Point and, if uncofortable about playing with the registry, then leave well alone.

I can live with some scraggly leftover entries, but I wouldn’t do too well with a broken down PC. Better safe than sorry…

• Brian Burgess February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Hey Ziggy! I’ve heard of iOBit but haven’t used it. I will check it out. I started using the free version of Revo Uninstaller 6 years ago then decided to upgrade.

It’s hard for me sometimes though, I get stuck in my ways…I mean, I still use Outlook in my home office and haven’t worked in a corporate environment for 8 years!

I am hesitant to recommend any type of registry cleaner though. I know some people swear by them, but if I do it myself I know what is happening more.

This method also works perfect for removing all remnants of malicious software as well.

2. Mike February 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

When I saw the headline to this article from the newsletter, Revo Uninstaller immediately came to mind. I’ve been using it for years and it’s excellent for doing complete uninstalls. I’m still surprised how much is left behind from using Windows’ conventional uninstaller.

I use CCleaner to clean the registry after doing an uninstall. Its registry cleaner is safe and will prompt you to do a backup before it removes those obsolete entries.

Great article! I’m looking forward to many more.

3. Guy February 23, 2012 at 12:58 am #

Here in the UK, I have been using the free version of Revo for years too! It is a good solid product that has never let me down. I have balked at paying $39 to upgrade – the free version may be commercially too good perhaps!

PS. Love GroovyPost.

4. VOXPOP June 1, 2012 at 11:38 am #

hi Brian
    i use revo uninstaller, free version. i have uninstalled a couple of programs that when i got to the ‘left over’ section had 680 files that needed to be checked in the little boxes!! i would have been there for a month..is there any way of avoiding checking each little box 680 times??? btw that is not an exageration. (680)
    thanks

• Brian Burgess June 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

@VOXPOP: Not that I know of. I know some programs leave a TON of leftovers. The Pro version makes it easier by grouping them all together.

• Tony June 21, 2013 at 12:45 am #

I use the free version here in the UK, and when I get to the ‘left over’ section, there is a ‘Delete All’ check box. Not sue which version it is, but I update it regularly.

• Brian Burgess June 21, 2013 at 1:04 am #

Yup. There’s nothing wrong with the free version. It removes everything it finds … the same as Pro. There’s just more features in the Pro version.

But for the bottom line — finding a lot of the extra crap left behind, the free version get’s it done!

5. VOXPOP June 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

thanks brian for the reply

6. GP July 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Wonderful article! Thank you Brian! I am the computer geek in our house, but this will make it easy to share and explain to my husband who will tell you he is “a bonafide techtard!” Thank you again for the easy to understand instructions and screenshots! :)

7. Dave August 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Revo is good but sometimes misses a few vestigial items in the registry that can be disposed of manually on a search.

8. danger0boys September 29, 2013 at 1:38 am #

I have been using Your Uninstaller, but it missed a lot of keys in the registery, can this be done manually ?

• Brian Burgess September 29, 2013 at 3:21 am #

Start with using VoidTools Everything: http://www.voidtools.com/download.php

That will allows you to find and delete left over files and folders.

After that start with the section in my article above — Manually Clean Registry, it shows you step by step how to clean it up.

Always make sure to back it up first!