How to Mount and Burn ISO Images in Windows 10

When Windows 7 was released, a significant new built-in feature was the ability to burn ISO images to disc. When Windows 8 came around, it included the ISO burning and allowed mounting of ISO images natively without third-party software.

If you skipped Windows 8 and upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10, here’s a look at using both features that are still present in Microsoft’s new OS.

Mount ISOs in Windows 10

First off, we’ll take a look at mounting an ISO file. In previous versions of Windows, you needed to use a third-party tool like Virtual Clone Drive to mount an ISO or a utility like ImgBurn to burn them to disc.

However, since Windows 8, mounting an ISO is a simple as a double click. That will mount the disc image as a virtual drive, and you can see the contents.

1 double click

Like in the example below I just double clicked the Windows 7 image to reveal the files on it.

sshot-1

Alternately, you can right-click the ISO file and select Mount from the context menu, note that just below that is the option to Burn disc image.

2 right click mount

You can also select the ISO file, and from the Ribbon go to Manage > Mount…note that by using this navigation method you also get the burn icon as well.

3 mount ribbon

No matter how you choose to mount your ISO, it mounts it as a virtual disc, and it will show up in This PC as a drive. For example, in the shot below I have three different ISO files mounted.

Then you can access them just like if there was a physical disc in your drive.

4 mounted ISOs

Also, note that if you want to unmount the ISO, just right-click and select Eject.

5 Eject

Burning an ISO

As I explained above, the option to burn an image is either on the Ribbon or the context menu. Burning an ISO to disc is essentially the same as it was in Windows 7. Pop in a blank disc and right-click and select Burn disc image.

burn ISO

Then the Windows Disc Image Burner tool kicks off. Select the drive with your blank CD or DVD. I also suggest checking Verify disc after burning. That will make sure there are no errors on the disc during the burning process.

burning ISO

After it’s done, the drive will pop open with your completed disc. That’s all there is to it!

ISO Burning Complete

While it’s usually faster to create a USB installation drive for software, some people are just more comfortable using a physical DVD, CD, or Blu-ray disc. Flash drives have a tendency to be lost easily. If you need to burn a retail copy of Windows 7 or higher to disc for any reason, head to the Microsoft Software Download site.

There you will find an ISO for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7, 8.1, and Windows 10.

One more thing. If you have a file compression utility installed, like 7-zip, it might have taken over the file association for ISOs. If so, you will need to change it to Windows Explorer. To do that, head to Settings > System > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type. Scroll down and make Windows Explorer the default.

Change Default App

For more on that, read our article: How to Change Default Programs in Windows 10.

And if you have questions, concerns, or suggestions about Microsoft’s new OS, make sure to sign up for our free Windows 10 Forums.

15 Responses to How to Mount and Burn ISO Images in Windows 10

1. Peter Johnson January 19, 2016 at 4:03 pm #

Thanks Brian – great article that explains the disk imaging thing in perspective. And I found the information about files compression utilities very useful too because that’s exactly what was happening on my system.

2. Menno February 15, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

Was banging my head over this one for some time now … cheers for making this post 😀

3. Ziyad May 1, 2016 at 5:08 am #

When I right-click there’s no mount option. Any help?

• Ziyad May 1, 2016 at 5:57 am #

Never mind, just uninstalled Nero 7 Essentials and now I have it.

4. saeb May 16, 2016 at 11:37 pm #

LOL i thought My windows10 ISO file is some kind of different .
    but problem was 7zip default settings. thanks man . u r life savior

• Ziyad May 17, 2016 at 2:50 am #

lol no problem 🙂

5. Tim May 27, 2016 at 12:54 pm #

Thank you for this! Default was not set to windows explorer and I couldn’t figure out why I could mount on my laptop but not on my desktop.

• Ziyad May 28, 2016 at 3:08 am #

Glad I could help

6. R Norwood July 9, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

If this is about windows 10, why are all the illustrations in Windows 7???

• Steve Krause July 9, 2016 at 3:53 pm #

Hi R. They are not. It’s a Windows 7 ISO file he’s using for examples only.

Thanks!

-S

7. Milus Campbell July 31, 2016 at 11:07 am #

I’m sorry but I’ve checked several times and I do not see any link to download the .iso. When I click on “Microsoft Software Download site” – – nothing happens, the web site will not open, I get a blank screen.

I found but this site will also not open.

Likewise does not work, blank screen.

And, as I said in my earlier E-mail, I would not be able to complete this process even if I had a copy of the .iso because my Windows Explorer does not have the “Manage” item on the tool bar.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Milus Campbell

8. holdum333 August 21, 2016 at 3:59 pm #

Hi Very nice Brian! I read all your groovy blogs! You are much appreciated!

9. Dan Kasak October 21, 2016 at 9:55 pm #

ImgBurn software that you linked includes a lot of adware and a virus that AVG detected.

• Steve Krause October 22, 2016 at 9:20 am #

Be sure you don’t download the advertisement they put on the site. This is the GREEN BUTTON for PC Mechanic they put on the site. Who knows what that junk is. Probably full of spyware and other JUNK.

Use the download links http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Be sure to READ it and don’t download the Ads they put on the site.

That said, we probably need to update the article. They have not updated the software since 2013. Might have been abandoned.

10. Mark November 16, 2016 at 1:31 am #

Many thanks,

Nicely laid out, especially the section on how to deal with another app having made itself the default for iso files.