Roku is set to begin rolling out its new Roku OS 9.3 soon. Here’s a look at everything that’s included in the latest update for the streaming player.
Roku today announced that its latest Roku OS 9.3 update will include Spanish voice commands. It also introduces new ways to find entertainment quickly on your Roku devices. And an improved performance that’s focused toward older devices.
Roku OS 9.3 Features
The latest version of Roku OS is set to bring visual search results, Spanish voice support, support for news related commands, playback from search, and improvements to the Roku mobile app.
In addition its offering new customization possibilities and enhanced Roku audio with the Roku Smart Soundbar.
Here’s a look at everything coming in the updated Roku OS 9.3:
SEARCH & DISCOVERY
- Spanish Language Roku Voice Support – Speak commands in Spanish to launch channels, search for titles, actors, or genres, as well as control media playback on your Roku device.
- Visual Search Results – Roku Voice search results will now be presented in a more visual, easy to browse display with categorized rows including relevant movies, shows, short-form entertainment and more for quick discovery of entertainment. Search results are unbiased and selected content will offer a list of channels featuring that title, sorted by price.
- Support for News Related Commands – “Show me the news” will now direct you to a Roku Zone filled with available news channels. “Play the news” will launch a live stream of ABC News on The Roku Channel. “Play the news on …,” will launch the named news channel and remember that preference for future commands.
- Playback from Search – 50+ streaming channels now support direct playback from search when using Roku Voice by directly playing the show or movie when possible, rather than displaying search results.
- Roku Mobile App – The free app will feature a new navigation bar at the top of the mobile screen when you’re connected to a Roku device providing access to Roku Search, a new icon allows you to easily switch between your Roku devices you want to control with the mobile app, and a shortcut to the remote screen. The redesign includes quick access icons, allowing you to launch useful mobile app features without the need to exit the remote screen including the ability to browse and/or launch your recently viewed channels directly from the remote screen and more.
Additional updates in Roku OS 9.3 include:
- Customization – Home Screen wallpapers, as well as screensavers, are now accessible from a single “Theme” menu item located within Settings. Theme packs, which consist of a wallpaper and screensaver, offering a new way to customize your experience for a consistent look and feel when using your Roku devices.
- Performance – A reduction in device boot times, faster launch times for a select number of channels (with more supported channels coming soon), a more responsive Home Screen and faster navigation when using features such as Featured Free.
Enhanced Roku Smart Soundbar & Roku TV™ connectivity:
- Access more soundbar settings directly from the TV interface, eliminating the need to switch back and forth between menus or use multiple remotes; enabling Roku TV Ready features
- In the Roku TV settings menu, pair an external device such as a mobile phone to the Roku Smart Soundbar for audio playback via Bluetooth® or pair other Roku audio products to the soundbar, such as the Roku Wireless Subwoofer and Roku TV Wireless Speakers for full surround sound.
The new Roku OS 9.3 will begin first rolling out to select Roku devices next month. And then to Roku TVs in the coming months.