Windows 7, 8 and 10: Install the Classic 3D Pinball Space Cadet Game

Let’s face it. Games in Windows 7 and Windows 8 are pretty lame. But I remember playing 3D Pinball Space Cadet on Windows 2000 at work years ago – wasting plenty of time. If you miss this classic game, here’s how to get it rolling on the latest version of Windows.

First download the 3D Space Cadet executable file. You don’t need to extract it, just double-click the WinRAR file and click Run.

Editors Note: Although the screenshots show the install on Windows 7, we’ve tested and confirm the game also works on Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Run Installer

Then install it to the default location, so it shows up in Games like it did in legacy versions of Windows.
Install Pinball

That’s it. You’ll find it in Games of the Start menu.
Start menu

Launch it, and relive this Windows classic game. Just make sure to turn down the sound if playing it at work.

3D Pinball Space Cadet

3D Pinball Space Cadet works on both 32 & 64-bit versions of Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1. I also just tested it on Windows 10, and it works without a hitch! Have fun!

Space Cadet Windows 10

, , , ,

150 Responses to Windows 7, 8 and 10: Install the Classic 3D Pinball Space Cadet Game

1. Mat Lee November 26, 2011 at 9:16 am #

That was a classic. Countless hours of my life I will never get back trying to make sure no one ousted me as the top score.

• Brian Burgess November 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Oh yeah! Man, I used to waste soooo much time at work with this one! I loved it. And I don’t regret a second of the time I spent on it when I should of been working for the man.

• Ross May 23, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Good Lord, I really thought, being something of a Luddite, that I was probably the only one playing what I assumed everyone else thought was “the lame pinball game that Windows stuck in there as a selling point to non-gamers & parents”. Not having a pc at home, I too spent countless hours being paid on 3rd shift to get really good at Space Cadet.
        Some years ago, the head office made us all work on a crappy Citrix virtual desktop(w/almost all customizing features removed, ’cause, you know–we’re all children who’ll burn the place down if we’re allowed to pick our own color scheme; they even took away the clock in the taskbar, saying, “What do they need that for?”). Now, I’m still on that awful virtual desktop, but telecommuting from home. When I realized the W7 they made me use to do so no longer had the game, I was severely bummed. I spent years wondering if there was something like it, but not knowing where to look, etc. I was resigned to Free Cell as my only choice when I wanted to zone out for a bit.
        Now, I try a vague search on a whim, find this site, and it’s so easy(although I think I clicked the wrong thing–sorta–since I never got Step 2. It just went straight to Start, so I dragged it to Games. Looks like the same end result to me.
        Thanks, not only for putting this out there, but for making it so easy even a near-computer-illiterate like me can do it. You’re a mensch.

• Melissa November 21, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

I too got paid to play this game when I was doing security (FOMCLOL) at a wood mill. I would stop in on this one station and play a few rounds. I considered that one of my 15 minute legal break. So much fun!

• Chris White Jr November 28, 2015 at 10:40 am #

Ross, at this game I was a boss. ain’t got no time fo this comment cause ya boy gotta floss. who will win this epic rap battle, it is truly a toss. ha, random freestyle. I love your comment on this game, as I too spent days in a daze. countless hours I plays. as I figure out this maze. hopin you will be abazed. lol. settin scores ablaze cause I see through this haze. oh dear. needs to stop now. randomly searched for and found this game again, as you did. What joy. just in time for christmas. justin’s crime will diss us. (just because it rhymed.) have a good one Ross.

• Jacob January 30, 2015 at 12:53 pm #

Yeah, of all of the XP games, I played Hearts and Pinball. And while I had fun with Hearts, Pinball was soo fun. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This is one thing I wish they still had…

• Jaren Patterson February 2, 2017 at 11:07 pm #

When i was younger i used to book the library computer just to play this and minesweeper

• Jack January 1, 2015 at 5:31 pm #

thanks a lot for this man..classic good game!

• jake gill March 4, 2016 at 2:21 am #

you’re welcome

• jake gill March 4, 2016 at 2:20 am #

I can’t download it. I don’t know how

2. Rebecca February 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

I’ve missed this so much…you’re a God of the interwebs.

3. Sharon February 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Thank you SO MUCH for your helpful info. I searched bunches of sites looking for this classic game that I loved on my old XP computer. I found the download files on the weebly.com page, but wasn’t sure whether or not I could trust it or not. Your page made me feel confident that I could.

Thanks again!!

• Brian Burgess February 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

@Sharon: Glad to hear that! It definitely brings back nostalgic memories for me!

• Henrique April 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Heey champs, thanks :D’

• Ruben August 13, 2015 at 3:53 am #

its great i love this game it brings me memories

• iShotZz (@iShotZzYT) March 10, 2015 at 11:16 am #

Yep it always does, xD

4. Taylor Garcia March 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

after searching for a while. i finally found one that actually works and dosen’t make me do unecessary stuff 🙂

• Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Bingo! Thanks for the comment @260009b511e66e216ab3cdb1521d9b1b:disqus

5. tooltip86 March 27, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Thanks a lot, I didn’t know there was a pinball for win7, so I started using vmware with a xp virtual machine and needless to say its a pain in the butt.

6. Stefano from Italy April 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks a lot, Brian! The game is ok on my Windows 7 Professional but the help file is not available (part of XP guide, I think…). Is there a way to have it on Windows 7?

• Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Help File? Are you having issues with something?

• Marek December 26, 2014 at 7:55 am #

The help file conatined a clickable picture of the field that showed the rules of everything you clicked and what it did.

• chris November 19, 2015 at 8:37 am #

click on the table image file, shows what you described

• Jack November 19, 2015 at 3:08 pm #

Hi Chris,

I do remember on the old Pinball Help files for Windows XP you could click on the image of the table and it would tell you what each element of the table was. There is no help file “How to” for Brian’s download. But there should be tons of tips for the game by searching online.

Regards,

Jack

7. Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Great old game. Nothin like going old school. Game is still great after all these years.

8. Mike July 17, 2012 at 8:18 am #

The game works but there is no sound… I can listen to the music but not the noises when the ball hits off stuff.
    I just tried it with some headphones and the sound works. Perhaps it was my speakers. Hope someone finds this useful.

• Bradley Vahn Brewer August 28, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Hey man, I know this is a month late, but I was also having this problem. I found changing my default sound format from 24bit / 96,000Hz to 48,000Hz fixed it. You do this by right clicking your primary sound device and choosing properties. Next click the advanced tab and change the format there. I assumed since it was an older game it would not support the higher format and changed it. Worked for me. Cheers!

9. Steve September 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing this. The game literally popped into my head for some reason a week ago, and I’ve only just gotten round to looking it up today, and yours is the only one I’ve found without faffing about. Amazing game as I always remembered; I can’t thank you enough for this opportunity to revisit some nostalgic memories of Windows 95, almost 20 years ago. Thanks again 🙂

• Steve Krause September 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Honestly, it’s a great pinball game. I still play it. Hey, why mess with a good thing! 🙂

Wow… are we really that old! HA

10. kem September 11, 2012 at 11:31 am #

sitting in the airport and thought of this game. You rock!

11. Josh Weadick December 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

12. Marcus December 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Dude I love you for this!! Have a wonderful christmas!

13. Mlg D'Andre J January 5, 2013 at 9:42 am #

does this work with windows 8?

• Brian Burgess March 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Yes! I just installed it on Windows 8 and it works fine. You can also extract the RAR file to a USB flash drive and run it from that.

• Mario Castro April 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Hi!, are there some other pinball games as good as this one? have found several online but they’re in slow motion an not as good as Space Cadet, greetings!

14. John February 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks man – I’m looking to all the pinball games on iOS and Android – and they make me cry… This is the best pinbal game ever!

15. Weapon March 12, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Thanks heaps!!!

16. belzebuth March 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

many thanks for this game!

17. Daniel April 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks dude. I haven’t played this since I had my windows 2000, And now I have it on my Windows 7.

18. Jake April 17, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Thank you so, so much. I have really missed this game and every once in a while I could play this [months would the gap between the last time I play this] and now I play this almost whenever I want. Thank you so, so, so, VERY, Very, much.

19. Becky April 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Ok, Brian Burgess wins at the internet. Seriously, thank you so much! You’re supremely awesome! I haven’t played this game in years and I’ve been craving it. I used to play for hours when I was like 13. Thank you!!

20. Emma April 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Can anyone help me plzz. …I can’t get the “sound” to work on space cadet?????. …I’ve downloaded & deleted & downloaded again & again but the sound of the flippers won’t work, everything else works fine though. I’ve read all the above comments and tried to understand one comment about changing the sound format? but not sure how to do this, and not sure how to find my default sound device or format? Sorry but im thick as a brick. …can I plzz annoy anyone and ask for some help I don’t know what the heck im doing lol sorry

21. Emma April 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Sorry to bother you again but I’ve now got the sound working, though I don’t know how I fixed it????? lol. …..I mucked around with the sound device thingy. …didn’t know what the heck I was doing or have done, but now it’s working beautifully.
    Just wanted to say I don’t need any help now so you can scrub these msgs from the website if you like. It’s still a mystery how I got it to work but it is working and it’s gr8888888!!!!! I love it thanks for all the helpful advice and the great download link you put up. Woohooooo it’s working. Thankyou again.

22. waseem May 6, 2013 at 1:08 am #

let me play first

23. Jim May 13, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Download worked perfectly. Works great on Windows 7 Pro.
    The best Pinball Game ever.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

24. ron ron May 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Back in the saddle again

25. mocman May 19, 2013 at 8:00 am #

my high scores are 86,327,000 // 66,111,000 // 63,173,750 // 52,385,250. Game number 2 is 1,000,000,000. I tried the hidden test or something and could not get the original score back. Even though it is the highest points, it still shows as number two.

• Loxx June 10, 2013 at 2:21 am #

I think it is saved in the memory that the hidden test will come second