Make Cortana Use Your Default Browser Instead of Edge in Windows 10

Whether you use the Hey Cortana feature or manually type in a search inquiry, it defaults to Microsoft Edge and Bing. If you’ve set your default browser to Chrome or something else, here’s a look at how to make Cortana use it.

We previously covered how to make Cortana search Google instead of Bing using the Chrometana extension. With the help of a light Open Source app called EdgeDeflector, you can redirect Cortana to use your default browser instead of Edge.

Assuming you don’t want to use Edge as the default web browser in Windows 10, the first thing to do is change it to something else like Chrome or Firefox. You can do that by heading to Settings > System > Default apps. For more on that read our article on how to change the default browser in Windows 10.

Windows 10 Default Apps

Make Cortana Use Your Default Browser

1. Download EdgeDeflector to your local drive and run it once. It’s very lightweight and you won’t get an install wizard, just a see the hourglass icon display for a second.

File Explorer

1. Now when you use Cortana for your next web search, you’ll get a dialog box asking how you want to open the results. Select EdgeDeflector and make sure the box is checked to use always use it.

EdgeDeflector

1. There you go! The search results will open up in whatever you have set as your default browser. In my case, it’s Google Chrome.

As the EdgeDeflector developer notes, you might need to take a couple of extra steps to get this to work. I installed this on a laptop running Windows 10 Creators Update and it worked without a hitch.

However, when I installed it on my main desktop production machine running Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607) I had to restart it for it to work. So, just keep in mind your mileage may vary.

Do you use Microsoft Edge as the default browser in Windows 10 or have you set something else as the default? Leave a comment below and let us know.

, ,

7 Responses to Make Cortana Use Your Default Browser Instead of Edge in Windows 10

1. Richard February 20, 2017 at 6:45 am #

Don’t use Edge as RoboForm, for passwords, does not work. Also, I find the MSN Homepage to be more informative and is easier to read.

2. Tony February 20, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Hi Brian,
    nice article, but form doesn’t work with me (Win10 + browser Chrome).
    Donwloaded to C:\Program Files and started with administrator privileges…
    Restarted several times without success.
    What to do to get rid of Bing in Cortana?
    Thanks a lot
    Tony

3. Andrew Robinson February 21, 2017 at 6:38 am #

I don’t necessarily dislike Edge; it’s just that when I bought my laptop w/Windows 10 Home, I got a message from my Norton Security Suite that Edge didn’t support their extensions. I went back to IE 11, and have been very happy wih that. I need virus protection more than I need the new features in Edge. Don’t know if that’s still true, maybe I need to check again.

4. Alan Hwang February 23, 2017 at 12:26 am #

I can not do a search on Edge since I updated the windows 10 anniversary update. My Edge browser says 
    “Hmm, we can’t reach this page.
    Try this
    Make sure you’ve got the right web address: https://twitter.com
    Refresh the page
    Search for what you want.”

However, my Firefox has no problem at all.

5. Vdmeulenz February 23, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

Why do you change default browser???!
    Come’ on! Give Edge is CHANGE!

Everybody thinks edge is ie its not!

6. John February 26, 2017 at 6:02 pm #

Edge is a perfectly fine browser, Or you can put up with all that comes with Chrome and Google’s privacy issues. Firefox is pretty good but falling behind, maybe 2017 we will see some really good Firefox improvements. IE is actually pretty decent yet, for much of today’s web it does what all the others do only a bit slower. Cortana is Microsoft’s answer to Google but I avoid all things Cortana because I don’t need all that data collection going to Microsoft. Also you have to sign in to Cortana with a Microsoft account. This is something I just don’t care to do.

7. David March 20, 2017 at 7:25 am #