How To Add Pictures to Contacts on your Android Mobile

Add photos to your android contacts

Hey groovy dudes,

I bought a new Android phone, and it is great, but I can’t read the screen. I’m terribly farsighted, and reading glasses give me a headache. I can’t read the numbers, so is there a way to just set a picture of who is calling me?

-Sincerely,

Joey

Hi, Joey,

I understand your problem and lucky for you; I know an easy way to solve your issue. My recommendation is to add pictures to the contacts so you can see them easier when you go to dial.

By default, Android puts a generic block letter for a person not established as a contact for their image. And, depending on who the person is, you might want to change the picture to something that makes them easier to identify when chiming in.

Note: For this article, I’m using stock Android 8.0 Oreo on a Nexus 6P. The steps may vary a bit depending on the version of Android and other software the handset manufacturer puts on your device for managing contacts.

Take a look at the groovyPost steps below and let me know if this works out for you!

Step 1

Launch the Phone app and find the contact you would like to change the picture for and tap it to open the contact card. Or, if you have multiple accounts linked on your phone it might be easier open the Contacts app and the account the person is linked to.

If you have multiple accounts linked on your phone it might be easier open the Contacts app and the account the person is linked to.

Android Contacts

Step 2

Once you select the contact, enter Edit Mode first. Otherwise, you might trigger a call by tapping their picture. In Oreo, tap the edit icon in the lower-right corner of the screen. Once in Edit Mode, tap the person’s image and then you should get the option to either take a picture or choose one.

Edit Android Contact

Step 3

Edit the picture to your liking and make sure to save the changes when finished.

Edit Contact Photo Android

Usually, I will just change a contact’s picture on-the-fly. I can open the Phone app to the recently called list, and tap the vertical ellipsis on the upper-right corner of the icon to go into Edit Mode and choose a different picture.

Recent Call List Android

Again, steps will vary depending on your device. Still, the idea is mostly the same on all versions. For example, everything looks completely different on my HTC One, but by knowing what to look for it’s easy to figure out.

If you have a different version of Android or software specific to the manufacturer, let us know what I might have left out in the comment section below.

Published 5/25/11. Updated 10/4/2017

13 Responses to How To Add Pictures to Contacts on your Android Mobile

1. Vadim May 25, 2011 at 11:03 am #

mrgroove the android!!!! I knew he was a robot!

• MrGroove May 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Indeed… I’ve been working out. 😉

2. Ahmed January 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

thanks….but what is the privacy??….if I use a picture for my Dad contact, and sync it with gmail…will my other friends be able to see that picture?

3. sm June 12, 2013 at 12:23 am #

this works when the contacts are saved on phone and does not work when they are stored on SD Card. Pl. clarify how to add pic to contacts stored on SD Card. I have a Samsung Galaxy Y SCH-i509 CDMA handset with Gingerbread 2.3.6

4. Lou October 18, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Sounds like you are more technically ahead of the game than I am so can you tell me how to transfer photo s from my p.c. to my android phone?

5. panks December 23, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

While adding contact picture it goes to Google+ instead of step to crop the picture. What is happening ? please help.

• dereklowe March 12, 2015 at 4:51 am #

dear sir i am having problems trying to add photo from phone to contact but with no success as i have tried to follow the instruction as stated on your web site as my phone is a galaxy s3 mini mode gt 1800n,or whether i have to go to my local Vodafone store for advice.
      Yours Faithfully
      Derek Lowe

6. bhawesh March 26, 2015 at 10:47 am #

After following the above process my phone is unable to do so and instead it shows that no picture on phone memory although Pictures are available.

7. Jane July 13, 2016 at 11:02 pm #

My Huawei Y625 does the opposite – when I select the picture then select “Add to contact”, it tells me I have no contacts, even though I have many … In the Contacts list, you can edit everything BUT the picture.

8. Ellie Scadden July 19, 2016 at 10:15 am #

My phone is a Hauwei Y635 which I got on my birthday some of the contacts I added then and now it wont ket me add a profile picture for them.

9. Anum tariq September 19, 2016 at 4:29 am #

How to add picture to a contact in QMobile Z9 ??? There is no option of photo in contact????

10. fatin batrisya December 16, 2016 at 9:16 pm #

I want this contact photo

11. Jim Shunamon October 5, 2017 at 1:06 pm #

Thanks for the great article Brian. 😀

I set all my Contacts photos directly from the Google Photos app.

Upload the photo to Google Photos (or set the app to automatically backup all photos on your device). Open Google Photos, select a picture then select the overflow menu (three dots in upper right corner of screen). You will see something in the list that says “Use as”. If you select this it will open up a list of choices and one of those choices is to use the photo as a Contact. Select that option and follow the steps your device provides for selecting the proper contact. Make sure to save the Contact again after you add the new photo.

This has worked for me in all versions of Android from Kit-Kat up through Nougat. I don’t have Oreo (yet) so I can’t say if it would be the same but many of you who are having troubles seem to have either older devices or versions of Android below Oreo so i hope that this advice might work as well for you as it has for me.