Windows 7: Install the Classic 3D Pinball Space Cadet Game

Let’s face it. Games in Windows 7 are pretty lame. But I remember playing 3D Pinball Space Cadet on Windows 2000 at work years ago – wasting plenty of time. If you miss this classic game, here’s how to get it for Windows 7.

First download the 3D Space Cadet executable file. You don’t need to extract it, just double click the WinRAR file and click Run.

Run Installer

Then install it to the default location so it shows up in Games like it did in legacy versions of Windows.
Install Pinball

That’s it. You’ll find it in Games of the Start menu.
Start menu

Launch it, and relive this Windows classic game. Just make sure to turn down the sound if playing it at work.

3D Pinball Space Cadet

3D Pinball Space Cadet works on both 32 & 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7. Have fun!

, , ,

62 Responses to Windows 7: Install the Classic 3D Pinball Space Cadet Game

1. Mat Lee November 26, 2011 at 9:16 am #

That was a classic. Countless hours of my life I will never get back trying to make sure no one ousted me as the top score.

• Brian Burgess November 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Oh yeah! Man, I used to waste soooo much time at work with this one! I loved it. And I don’t regret a second of the time I spent on it when I should of been working for the man.

• Ross May 23, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Good Lord, I really thought, being something of a Luddite, that I was probably the only one playing what I assumed everyone else thought was “the lame pinball game that Windows stuck in there as a selling point to non-gamers & parents”. Not having a pc at home, I too spent countless hours being paid on 3rd shift to get really good at Space Cadet.
        Some years ago, the head office made us all work on a crappy Citrix virtual desktop(w/almost all customizing features removed, ’cause, you know–we’re all children who’ll burn the place down if we’re allowed to pick our own color scheme; they even took away the clock in the taskbar, saying, “What do they need that for?”). Now, I’m still on that awful virtual desktop, but telecommuting from home. When I realized the W7 they made me use to do so no longer had the game, I was severely bummed. I spent years wondering if there was something like it, but not knowing where to look, etc. I was resigned to Free Cell as my only choice when I wanted to zone out for a bit.
        Now, I try a vague search on a whim, find this site, and it’s so easy(although I think I clicked the wrong thing–sorta–since I never got Step 2. It just went straight to Start, so I dragged it to Games. Looks like the same end result to me.
        Thanks, not only for putting this out there, but for making it so easy even a near-computer-illiterate like me can do it. You’re a mensch.

2. Rebecca February 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

I’ve missed this so much…you’re a God of the interwebs.

3. Sharon February 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Thank you SO MUCH for your helpful info. I searched bunches of sites looking for this classic game that I loved on my old XP computer. I found the download files on the weebly.com page, but wasn’t sure whether or not I could trust it or not. Your page made me feel confident that I could.

Thanks again!!

• Brian Burgess February 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

@Sharon: Glad to hear that! It definitely brings back nostalgic memories for me!

• Henrique April 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Heey champs, thanks :D’

4. Taylor Garcia March 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

after searching for a while. i finally found one that actually works and dosen’t make me do unecessary stuff :)

• Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Bingo! Thanks for the comment @260009b511e66e216ab3cdb1521d9b1b:disqus

5. tooltip86 March 27, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Thanks a lot, I didn’t know there was a pinball for win7, so I started using vmware with a xp virtual machine and needless to say its a pain in the butt.

6. Stefano from Italy April 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks a lot, Brian! The game is ok on my Windows 7 Professional but the help file is not available (part of XP guide, I think…). Is there a way to have it on Windows 7?

• Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Help File? Are you having issues with something?

7. Steve Krause July 13, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Great old game. Nothin like going old school. Game is still great after all these years.

8. Mike July 17, 2012 at 8:18 am #

The game works but there is no sound… I can listen to the music but not the noises when the ball hits off stuff.
    I just tried it with some headphones and the sound works. Perhaps it was my speakers. Hope someone finds this useful.

• Bradley Vahn Brewer August 28, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Hey man, I know this is a month late, but I was also having this problem. I found changing my default sound format from 24bit / 96,000Hz to 48,000Hz fixed it. You do this by right clicking your primary sound device and choosing properties. Next click the advanced tab and change the format there. I assumed since it was an older game it would not support the higher format and changed it. Worked for me. Cheers!

9. Steve September 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing this. The game literally popped into my head for some reason a week ago, and I’ve only just gotten round to looking it up today, and yours is the only one I’ve found without faffing about. Amazing game as I always remembered; I can’t thank you enough for this opportunity to revisit some nostalgic memories of Windows 95, almost 20 years ago. Thanks again :)

• Steve Krause September 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Honestly, it’s a great pinball game. I still play it. Hey, why mess with a good thing! :)

Wow… are we really that old! HA

10. kem September 11, 2012 at 11:31 am #

sitting in the airport and thought of this game. You rock!

11. Josh Weadick December 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

12. Marcus December 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Dude I love you for this!! Have a wonderful christmas!

13. Mlg D'Andre J January 5, 2013 at 9:42 am #

does this work with windows 8?

• Brian Burgess March 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Yes! I just installed it on Windows 8 and it works fine. You can also extract the RAR file to a USB flash drive and run it from that.

• Mario Castro April 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Hi!, are there some other pinball games as good as this one? have found several online but they’re in slow motion an not as good as Space Cadet, greetings!

14. John February 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks man – I’m looking to all the pinball games on iOS and Android – and they make me cry… This is the best pinbal game ever!

15. Weapon March 12, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Thanks heaps!!!

16. belzebuth March 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

many thanks for this game!

17. Daniel April 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks dude. I haven’t played this since I had my windows 2000, And now I have it on my Windows 7.

18. Jake April 17, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Thank you so, so much. I have really missed this game and every once in a while I could play this [months would the gap between the last time I play this] and now I play this almost whenever I want. Thank you so, so, so, VERY, Very, much.

19. Becky April 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Ok, Brian Burgess wins at the internet. Seriously, thank you so much! You’re supremely awesome! I haven’t played this game in years and I’ve been craving it. I used to play for hours when I was like 13. Thank you!!

20. Emma April 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Can anyone help me plzz. …I can’t get the “sound” to work on space cadet?????. …I’ve downloaded & deleted & downloaded again & again but the sound of the flippers won’t work, everything else works fine though. I’ve read all the above comments and tried to understand one comment about changing the sound format? but not sure how to do this, and not sure how to find my default sound device or format? Sorry but im thick as a brick. …can I plzz annoy anyone and ask for some help I don’t know what the heck im doing lol sorry

21. Emma April 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Sorry to bother you again but I’ve now got the sound working, though I don’t know how I fixed it????? lol. …..I mucked around with the sound device thingy. …didn’t know what the heck I was doing or have done, but now it’s working beautifully.
    Just wanted to say I don’t need any help now so you can scrub these msgs from the website if you like. It’s still a mystery how I got it to work but it is working and it’s gr8888888!!!!! I love it thanks for all the helpful advice and the great download link you put up. Woohooooo it’s working. Thankyou again.

22. waseem May 6, 2013 at 1:08 am #

let me play first

23. Jim May 13, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Download worked perfectly. Works great on Windows 7 Pro.
    The best Pinball Game ever.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

24. ron ron May 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Back in the saddle again

25. mocman May 19, 2013 at 8:00 am #

my high scores are 86,327,000 // 66,111,000 // 63,173,750 // 52,385,250. Game number 2 is 1,000,000,000. I tried the hidden test or something and could not get the original score back. Even though it is the highest points, it still shows as number two.

• Loxx June 10, 2013 at 2:21 am #

I think it is saved in the memory that the hidden test will come second

26. pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

is there a way to get it on windows 8 ???

• Brian Burgess June 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Yup. Just install it like normal on Windows 8. I have it running on my Windows 8 Pro system right now!

27. pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

yo i got mcafee virus protection … a hella good version and it stopped me from downloading it because it has a virus in that file i clicked up at thetop of the page …. everyone who has tried downloading it by clicking that link at the top of the page now has some bad ass virus or spyware!!!!!!!!!

28. pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

why is my computer teling me this ???

29. Brian Burgess June 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Well, that’s a false positive. I’ve been running it and before I even suggested the download link, I ran it through VirusToal which scans it with 46 different brands of antivirus utilities.

I would imagine because it’s an executable that will make changes to OS files is why Macaffee is flagging it.

One thing is certain, on this site we ALWAYS verify any files we link to are safe and malware free.

• pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

ALSO were did u originally get this file from anyways ???

30. pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

yea i tried downloading it again and my virus protection is saying its putting my computer at risk and that i need to remove it immidiately …. i guess it would be easy to put a virus in it without anyone noticing…. looks like only a handful of people downloaded so that means a handful of peoples info was probably stolen off there computer after they downloaded this file .!

31. pommer June 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

i really want this game so if it is legit and not full of viruses do u think u could send me a diff kind of link so i could try to download that ??? i cant get enough of the game !! i literally just leftwork an hour ago and i wanna play it some more ..

32. Brian Burgess June 13, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

I uploaded it to my Public SkyDrive. Here’s the link: http://sdrv.ms/1a9WIPT

The reason it’s being detected as malware is because when you install it, files are added to your root drive in Microsoft Games directory.

Commercial antivirus programs like McAfee and Norton are often overzealous with detection. They also take over your entire system, which is why we don’t recommend those types of antivirus software programs.

You should have a setting in McAfee that allows you to ignore the flag. Again, all I can do is assure you 100% that this is not a virus at all. I have installed it on all 6 of my Windows PCs and this is the first time I have heard of an antivirus program flagging it as a virus. It’s not.

• Jordan June 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I’m having no problem at all with the program – I’d just like to install it. I can’t find it though… Can you possibly give me some instructions on how to uninstall the program?

33. Jordan June 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Never mind on the last comment. I was looking in programs in my control panel instead of just plain files. Deleted successfully! Again, there was nothing wrong with the program. I just needed to uninstall it.

34. JonO July 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Thanks. Worked perfectly and your site didn’t try to cram a bunch of other software down my throat!

35. andrew July 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

on mine the ball flickers in and out and i can’t tell where the ball is… please help

36. Christine August 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I have missed this game like crazy. Thanks so much for giving us access to it!

37. Kieran September 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Hi, thanks for putting Pinball out there, really good game. Unfortunately there is one problem ,for some reason my computer is unable to play in full screen, despite playing in full screen yesterday, it just won’t work now.

My OS is Windows 7 computer and my screen resolution is 1280×1024

• Steve Krause September 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Try it again but first turn off Aero Mode. sometimes Aero can interfere with things like this on legacy games.

Let me know…

• Kieran September 19, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Hi, thanks for the response. I found the solution, for some reason Pinball wouldn’t play in the resolution I have my computer set to, so I changed it to 800×600 and it worked. Thanks for your help anyway!

38. Marcio September 29, 2013 at 3:39 am #

I installed it on Windows Vista but it’s not saving the high scores. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks alot!

39. C,Hodge March 13, 2014 at 5:35 am #

Awesome. I have looked and looked since XP was no longer available. Everybody I knew had upgraded to Vista or Windows 7. One fell in my lap one day so I thought I would copy the game to a flash drive. It worked also, but somehow got deleted and the flash drive got stolen with all my others. I had since upgraded that computer to Win 7. I tried to recover it from the old.win file which was unsuccessful. I did see the Pro Works flipper.cad file. That gave me the idea to search using that name. Pro Works Pinball. Here it is. Thank you so much for making it the easiest install ever!. I am a huge pinball fan anyway. They are ICONS now, basically a thing of the past unless you have a lot of money to buy one. I’m 56, a female and this is the only game I like to play other than Keno & Super 8 Keno. I can play these by myself, try to beat my own score. This was just a great experience. I hope this stays available to all those who want it and find it. Meanwhile. I’m going to copy the file to another flash drive just in case this page gets taken down. I don’t want to ever lose this game again. I’m saving the page to my favorites too. It is true that the Aero on Windows 7 can interfere with things, especially wallpaper and screen savers. My resolution is set at 1600×1200, 32bit. Good luck to everybody who loves this game. Also, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spy Bot. No flags for me.

40. Paul May 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Thank you very much, is it really that long ago…this will make my mum very happy too, can’t wait to surprise her with this. I’ve found a way to get her to sit at the PC again !

41. dina June 20, 2014 at 7:48 am #

thanks very much, sir! been craving to play this game again for days! i still remember me and my sisters used to have battles for this game and see who got the best score. thanks!

• Lawrie July 17, 2014 at 3:01 am #

Infuriating, but addictive game. Problem is (& if you’ve played for any length of time you may have noticed) the game has cheats written into it. Magnets at various points on the game switch on at certain times to screw up your play. The tiny grey button at the bottom between the flippers is 1, the wormhole above the mission ramp & the red button at the entrance to the Hyperspace bonus ramp.
      The magnet intensity varies from low to high & can deflect & affect the path of the ball. There is no way to get round this but the frequency of magnet activity can be moderated by; not holding the ball static on the flippers & regularly re-fuelling, use the ’tilt’ function sparingly.

Happy pinballing.

42. Christopher August 16, 2014 at 12:25 am #

I have a tablet; Visual Land model, Prestige 7G. Will Space Cadet pinball be able to load play on this tablet?

43. Steph October 28, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

I tried downloading your game the other day and I decided to delete it because the installation wasn’t working. Then today o noticed it popped up on my computer all installed. I was thrilled to play it again but as soon as I clicked it my computer crashed and now all my settings are messed up. I’m running a scan on my computer on safe mode and it says I’m at risk. I’m pretty sure your download has a virus on it. So be aware to anyone else you plans on downloading it.

44. Bill November 1, 2014 at 12:09 am #

I can’t tell you how much I have missed this game. Decided to give a search for it one more time, and ran into your site. Thanks a bunch for this…has REALLY made my day, week, month, and year…Yippee. Shows very small on my screen, and have to go to full screen to really see it good…will have to mess around with screen resolutions to see it better. Thanks again!!!!