How to Upgrade Windows 10 Using the Easy Upgrade Feature

Windows 10 UpdateWindows 10 is available in a variety of editions that target different markets and user needs. The three most popular editions are Windows 10 Home, Pro, and Enterprise. Most people who purchase a new PC will often get Windows 10 Home preinstalled on it. But if you’re a business or power user and need the unique capabilities of the Pro edition such as Remote Desktop, business networking, Group Policy, and more. Here’s a look at using the Easy Upgrade feature which lets you upgrade to a higher edition of Windows 10.

With the launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has made it known Windows 10 will be free to every PC or device running a genuine version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Your system will be upgraded to the logical edition. For example, Windows 7 Home Basic or Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. But you might want or need some of the richer capabilities available in the Pro version. For this, you will need to purchase the Windows 10 Pro Pack which will include a product key so you can unlock the Pro edition.

There’s also good news for users who have Home Use rights through an employer’s volume license program. Volume license is a convenient way for large businesses to purchase Windows licenses in bulk and deploy it to many computers an organization. Volume license also includes flexible options that allows an organization’s employees to upgrade their personal devices to the organization’s licensed edition of Windows.

So for example, if your company is running Windows 10 Enterprise edition and you are running Windows 10 Home on your personal laptop, you can easily upgrade. This is important for ease of use, management and support rights that guarantees all systems are standardized and are protected using the benefits that are available with that particular edition.

For the purposes of this article, I will be upgrading Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise. Of course, the same procedures apply if you want to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using either a retail Windows 10 Pro license or Pro Pack key.

Purchase Windows 10 Pro Pack upgrade from within Windows 10 Home

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Store  $99.00 USD.

Please note, Easy Upgrade will preserve your personal files, applications and settings, it simply unlocks the edition, the process is quite similar to the Windows Anytime Upgrade in Windows 7.

Once you have your Windows 10 key ready select System.

Settings

Select About then Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows.

About

Click Yes if User Account Control comes up.

UAC

Enter your product key for the edition you are upgrading to, whether it is Pro or Enterprise and wait while the product key verified.

Enter password

Click all open applications are closed and your work is saved and start the upgrade. Wait while the upgrade process kicks off, and  computer will be restarted several times throughout this process.

Upgrade Wiz 2

The amount of time the upgrade takes will vary between systems. But in my experience, it only took 5 to 10 minutes.

Upgrade Wiz 5

That’s it! Close out of the upgrade complete verification screen and start using your new edition of Windows.

Complete

10 Responses to How to Upgrade Windows 10 Using the Easy Upgrade Feature

1. Learjet September 9, 2015 at 9:31 am #

$99? Uh, NO.

• VMCI September 15, 2015 at 11:18 am #

$99? Uh, YES! I followed the above directions to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. It was fast, easy, and did only cost $99. Horray for something easy in the computer world!

Thanks for the great instructions!

2. bob March 5, 2016 at 7:28 am #

Learjet, keep in mind that is $99 USD and is for an upgrade. The full version of Pro and the upgrade are different prices. Don’t buy the full when you only want an upgrade!

3. joais April 29, 2016 at 3:40 am #

to expensive i will go with the crack lol

4. jeremy June 4, 2016 at 5:27 am #

I’ve tried this twice yesterday and it was stuck on getting your pc ready for several hours. I got tired of that and just cut the pc off.

• randyre June 19, 2016 at 10:05 am #

Same here. Stuck at preparing 100% What now?

5. Angela June 25, 2016 at 10:03 am #

Same here…nothing when trying to upgrade. No notification on error codes or anything. Erghhhh!! Just trying to upgrade to Home edition of 10.

6. Moody July 21, 2016 at 6:36 am #

I tried upgrading form w10 home to w10 pro. Process stuck on preparing upgrade 88% for over 9(nine) hours. What can I do next? Is my $99.00 lost?

• Eric August 2, 2016 at 7:49 am #

No its not lost, you can reinstall the whole OS from USB. When you start the process, click “I don’t have a license key” when it asks you, then select Windows 10 Professional.

If it doesn’t auto activate after installing (It should), call Microsoft to have the activation forced through. Be sure to have the purchase confirmation email that you received during the upgrade process available.

7. Sean Dougall October 15, 2016 at 4:15 pm #

Hi, I hope someone can help me out please.

My PC originally came with Windows 8.1, I upgraded to 10 Home last year and I have decided to upgrade to 10 Pro. I’ve bought the License from a third party (reputable) vendor and started the download.

After the files had arrived, I started the installation and it got to about 70% when a blue screen came up asking me to enter my home country, language, keyboard layout and time zone.

I did that, clicked ‘next’ and got a blue screen with ‘Use Express Settings’ on it. I selected this, my PC rebooted only to return to the blue screen asking me to enter my location details etc.

It is now stuck in this cycle. I don’t know what to do now, any advice would be appreciated.