How To Take Full Permissions Control To Edit Protected Registry Keys

How To Take Full Read And Write Control Of the Windows 7 Or Vista Registry To Enable Edits, Imports, and ExportsThe Windows registry is a hassle to edit under normal circumstances, but sometimes you’ll encounter keys that are protected by the system.  When you try to edit a protected registry key you’ll run into a few different errors, but they generally tell you that you lack permissions for making changes.  But, since it is just a permissions issue we can get around this by granting your user account in Windows the correct permissions!  Read on to learn how…

How do I know the registry key is protected?

When trying to create a new entry within a protected Key you’ll see the following error:

Error Creating Key

Cannot create key: You do not have the requisite permissions to create a new key under <registry key name>.

windows registry editing error, cannot create key you do not have permissions

When you try to edit a entry, you’ll see this error:

Error Editing Value:

Cannot edit <entryname>: Error writing the value’s new contents.

cannot create registry key value, error writing new contentsa windows .reg file cannot be used if key is protected

When you are working with a premade .reg file, it won’t work.  If you run a .reg file to import new registry entries, you’ll encounter the following error:

Registry Editor

Cannot import <folder\file.reg> Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

registry editor error, cannot import registry key because of permissions or the keys are open by the system

How To Take Ownership & Full Control Of The Registry

If you are encountering the above errors, without a doubt you’ve encountered a protected registry key.  Normally these keys are only open to modification by the System, but if you follow the steps below you’ll learn how to make your user account a poweful registry editing demi-god.  Open up regedit and let’s get started!

Step 1

In regedit (Registry Editor) Right-Click the protected key in question.  From the context menu that appears, Select Permissions

Tip: If you want, you could take control of the top tree of the registry.  In effect you would have full control of the entire registry, however this is not recommended for security purposes unless you plan on removing said permissions when you finish working.

access registry key permissions in windows 7 vista

Step 2

In the Permissions window that appears, Click Advanced.

advanced permissions window for registry in wnidows 7 vista

Step 3

Click the Owner tab and Select your username from the list.* Now Check the Replace owner box and Click Apply. (Yes! This is one of the few instances where the Apply button is actually useful!)

*If your username is not on this list Click Other users or groups… and manually add it.

change windows 7 or vista ownership of registry key

Step 4

Click the Permissions tab and then the Add… button.  In the Select User window Type your username into the white box and Press OK.

add a new user to the full permissions list in registry editor

Step 5

A new Permission Entry window should pop-up, just Check the Allow Full Control box and Click OK.

set your username to full control in registry editor for windows 7 or vista

Step 6

Back on the previous window your username should be on the list with Permissions set to Full Control.  Now all that is left to do is to save and exit all open windows by Clicking OK a couple times.

your user should appear on the list with full control, click ok to save changes to registry editor

Done!

You should now be able to edit any of the entries within the registry key that you just modified permissions for.  Don’t forget that if you want maintain proper security protocol, after you are done you can go back in and Remove your user from the list of names with Full Control.  Have a groovy time editing the registry without restriction!

, , , , ,

34 Responses to How To Take Full Permissions Control To Edit Protected Registry Keys

1. Koutheir Attouchi February 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Be careful what you’re doing! You are making Windows more and more vulnerable to attacks!

• Jorje Inglasies February 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Very true, this leaves protected registry files open to attack.

But then again, after you have finished editing them it is very easy to undo your permissions as stated at the bottom the article.

• Vadim Schmidt February 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Agreed. mrgroove should probably highlight that point so it sticks out a little more – Once you make the tweak you need, reverse the process to lock things back up again.

Probably is Microsoft locked it up, there’s a reason!

• Pawel November 15, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Besides it is not working.

I can not set any permissions – every time I have “Access denied”

And registry key stayed unchanged.

2. Koutheir Attouchi February 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

I recommend that, before editing the registry, one should start his computer in fail-safe mode, and make a restore point before starting edition of keys. This to allow for fault tolerance and to ensure minimal number of programs get started, and thus decrease vulnerabilities while doing critical tweeks…

• Vadim Schmidt February 2, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

I agree with the system restore point ANY TIME you make a tweak to the registry. I think the safe-mode is a bit overkill but a system restore point for sure.

3. Rod Seed February 7, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Please Mr Groove could you tell us novices which key it is?

Thanks
    Rod Seed

• goLfie February 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

This should work for any registry key.

4. adel August 8, 2011 at 5:02 am #

thank you so much Mr. Groove for the article

but I want some details about how to do it using Command prompt

I need it bu commands ot like batch file;

Adel

5. jordan November 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

how do i do this on windows 8 i tried but got this https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387845_268296639887067_100001201980648_801238_55568552_n.jpg

6. Maniatico January 28, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Thank you brother for you again I have not formatted my pc

7. irvan February 22, 2012 at 1:16 am #

i got message when i click apply button..

“Unable to set new owner on usbstor Access is Denied”

8. Jacob Harris March 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I tried taking full control and this came up, “unable to save permission changes on internet settings. Access is denied.” What do I do?

9. Jerimiah March 29, 2012 at 10:39 am #

I did this exactly as you indicated but the same error message appears. I am trying to change a services “Start” value from 2 to 3. However, even after changing the owner (including replacing owner on subcontainers and objects) and setting permissions, the error message is
    Cannot edit Start: Error writing the value’s new contents.

For what it’s worth, I am trying to change the service startup type for LEMSS Agent. I receive similar access denied error when trying to change the startup type through services.msc and even by attempting to disable through msconfig.

Also, I am a local administrator to this Windows XP machine. I’ve tried logging off and back on and can see that the permissions are still saved, but I also still receive the same error message.

Any thoughts?

10. ben tumakaka June 28, 2012 at 5:13 am #

it’s an old fashion, but still i keep try it when ever I read on some blog about it, hopefully it’ll work out for me. but it didn’t work.
    it’s always returned: unable to save..etc.. Access denied. Even though I’m logged in using super admin account. you know, the one that you can enable it from cmd?

11. ted mosby August 8, 2012 at 9:43 am #

i got an access denied when i tried to replace owner

12. ted mosby August 8, 2012 at 9:44 am #

*i got an access denied when i tried to “replace owner” in step 3

• Austin Krause August 8, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Are you logged into Windows with an Administrator account? If not, you may need to run regedit as an administrator.

13. John Zucker October 21, 2012 at 4:49 am #

This does not seem to be a working recipe, unfortunately.

Step 3 states exactly what I wish to achieve. I select my username in the Owner tab for Advanced Security Settings for DesktopProtection. I use this account under the ‘Change owner to:’ pane. Having selected my name as the new owner of the item, I click ‘Apply’. This gives me a popup ‘Unable to set new owner on DesktopProtection. Access is denied.’

There are very many articles, such as the current one, online about how to change protected registry keys. Unfortunately at this point I have not yet found one which genuinely works.

14. Phil Lock December 29, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Thanks a million for that! I had the vbscript message after removing mcafee and even though I found the key I couldn’t change it – until I came here.

Lifesaver :-D !!!

15. Windows 7 HP Mini 110 User February 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

It worked. Thank you!

16. Dave March 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Step 3 – access denied!
    YES I ran as administrator.
    ACCESS DENIED for everything I try to do.

17. Simon March 7, 2013 at 3:36 am #

I have the same issue with a small number of registry keys (all MS Office 2010 related). First noticed it when Office tried to install an update and kept failing with a 1406 error. When I manually checked the keys involved (running regedit as Admin) I could not get access using the method described above, or any other. I’m thinking some sort of hive corruption somewhere, but cannot identify where or how to fix it.

18. Ramesh March 20, 2013 at 4:17 am #

Thanks for u r tips..Its very helpful…..

19. Ucupduyeh April 15, 2013 at 10:37 am #

tks dude

20. asnowfall May 5, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Thanks this worked in Win7 Ultimate

21. Hans August 3, 2013 at 8:37 am #

I want to delete the following : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{73C9DFA0-750D-11E1-B0C4-0800200C9A66
    My name is on the permission list.
    However when trying to delete that entry, I get the message : error when deleting that key.
    what is wrong ?
    thanks for help

22. Abhinav October 8, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

please tell how to do this on windows 8

23. Mr V-Guard January 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

You need to start asking yourselves who’s computer is it !

I am in regedit as administrator and cannot take ownership of a key node so that i can remove Microsoft spying on every thing I do and that includes in depth details about every device you have ever plugged in to your USB port.

I tried to get around this “We won’t let you do it” by using some C# code after backing up the registry and as soon as the code hit the break-point I had set windows threw up an error message outside the visual studio debugger and soon after that the computer went bang and windows would not let me import my saved copy of the registry so I took a day rebuilding the darn machine.

Microsoft is doing all it can to hide details about the registry and often uses keys ten levels deep to stop anyone spotting just how much privacy is being broken but I have written code that audits all the changes to the registry using SHA1 on value/data and then saving the results in an XML file and I can tell you now that windows seven even on a rebuild has over 400,000 keys and holds something like 3,000,000 bits of data.

Nope I don’t trust Microsoft and its dirty tactics and was they to spend half as much time fixing windows as they do at auditing our every move for the NSA then windows would not keep blowing up as it does now.

24. Carmen May 30, 2014 at 5:26 am #

Thank you, this allowed me to change a third-party software key that for some stupid reason kept reverting back to its original value!!!!

25. Jay Reaper June 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Gotta admit, I find it pretty amusing when people say that Groove is making Windows less safe. If Microsoft would get their crap together and allow users to fix problems on their PC without compromising their security (something that Microsoft, since it’s founding, still gets a giant ‘F’ grade on), then people wouldn’t have to post helpful and, sometimes, necessary information that may also be harmful when used inappropriately.

Ah Microsoft…one day you’ll be decent.

26. Harry June 10, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

That “thanks for visiting my site” ad for subscription is most annoying. :-)

At the end of the day no one solved the access denied issue that several people complained about even when running as a local administrator.