How-To Remove Or Add Words To The Office 2010 Dictionary

Groovy Microsoft Office 2010 How-to, news, tips, and downloadsHave you ever been working in Microsoft Word and “Oops, I didn’t mean to add that word to the dictionary!”?  If you’ve ever accidentally added a word to the Office dictionary then you aren’t alone.  With Office 2010, this can become very problematic because now every Office 2010 application shares the same dictionary.  If you want to perfect your spell-checker then this groovy guide will show you how to add or remove words from the custom word list.

How To Edit The Office 2010 Custom Word Dictionary

1. In any Office application (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint…etc) Click File > Options.

go into Microsft Office options

2. In the Options menu Click the Proofing tab, and then Click the Custom Dictionaries… button.

in the proofin tab of office 2010 click custom dictionaries

3. The Custom Dictionaries list should appear.  Click Edit Word List…

edit the office 2010 word list

4. In the custom.dic dialog you can Type in Word(s) and then Add them to the dictionary.  Or if you need to remove a word just Click the word from the Dictionary list and then Click Delete.  When you are done be sure to Click OK to save changes.add or remove words from the office 2010 custom dictionary file

Alternatively you can edit the Office dictionary custom words list using Notepad.

5. The Dictionary can also be edited from it’s .dic text file located at:

%AppData%\Microsoft\UProof\Custom.dic

real location of the custom.dic file of office 2010

6. Just open up custom.dic and start typing in the words that you want to add to the custom dictionary.  Keep it to one word per line and remember that words are case sensitive when being spell-checked later.  Once you’ve finished, Save and exit notepad.

manage the office 2010 custom dictionary from notepad

Any words you’ve added to the custom.dic file will no longer be flagged by the Office 2010 spellchecker, so be wary of typos too.

, , , , ,

29 Responses to How-To Remove Or Add Words To The Office 2010 Dictionary

1. Al August 25, 2011 at 3:52 am #

The CUSTOM.DIC file doesn’t seem to exist in my computer. I have fully installed 0ffice 2010. When I enter
    %AppData%MicrosoftUProofCustom.dic
    I am informed that windows can’t find C:users … etc.
    Any idea why?

• Jessica September 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Ah, the article is missing the backslashes you need for the file path. Just copy the “location” from the article into My Computer, but before you hit Enter, add a “\” between:

%AppData%
      Microsoft
      UProof
      Custom.dic

So it should look exactly like this:

%AppData%\Microsoft\UProof\Custom.dic

Now go ahead and pres Enter, and the file will pop right up. (It might ask you which program to open it with – Notepad works great, and be sure to save when you’re done.)

This article is great, by the way; I just installed a fresh version of Office, and I’m very grateful that I don’t have to right-click/Add every single word that was in my custom dictionary – I can add them all at once!

• MrGroove September 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Hi Jessica! Not sure what happened to my blog! It lost its formatting and all the ” \ ” between the path!

Thanks to you, I went ahead and updated the post to show the proper path! Thank you very much!

2. Kerrie Gesmondi September 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

I enjoy you taking the time to publish this post It continues to be quite helpful to me certainly Value it

3. Carol September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Dear Groovy,

I want to remove the variant spellings “enrol” and “enrolment.” They don’t appear in the custom dictionary, but the spell checker doesn’t mark them as misspelled.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Carol

• David July 19, 2013 at 1:36 am #

I could not find one a reply to the email from Carol below.

I similarly wish to remove a word that is not in the custom dictionary and which does not get picked up in Outlook when I spell check it, The word is “fopr” the other word os “provision” so I just don’t know why they sais through the spellchecker. The words are not in my custom dictionary.

Is there any solution to this? tks.

Carol September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Dear Groovy,

What am I missing?

Thanks

4. Karen February 11, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Thanks! Easy to follow instructions. I appreciate the help.

5. shane tout March 20, 2012 at 6:42 am #

You might want to mention there is a difference if going through Outlook. The Proofing option is not available UNLESS you open a message first. Then go to Mail, then Spelling and Autocorrect… and so forth.
    Easier to change from Word or PowerPoint then it is changed in all applications.

• madscientest August 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

you can tell these applications are build from diff people/departments who have no idea how to communicate with each other. and the evidence is found is stuff like this.

• Brian Burgess August 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

@madscientest — That is why we are here! AND with all the new software and services coming from Microsoft, we’ll be here to help you learn all of that too!

• Paul October 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I found that in Outlook, while I had a Calendar entry open, I didn’t see the Proofing option either. In Outlook Options I selected Mail, then under Compose Messages there was a Spelling and Autocorrect button. Selected Spelling and Autocorrect, and a Editor Options dialog opened and it had a Proofing link that when selected showed me the Custom Dictionaries button that is discussed in the tutorial.

6. R Mills March 26, 2012 at 2:16 am #

Dear Mr Krause

As a fairly incompetent computer user I just wanted to thank you for such a clear and easy to use website.

You made my day today.

With kindest regards

Rosie Mills.

7. jmosso April 10, 2012 at 8:16 am #

TYVM!

8. Hubert April 19, 2012 at 7:26 am #

This is needed. Thanks

9. Hubert April 19, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Thanks very helpful

10. Philip May 28, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Would be nice if I had a proofing option in my version of Outlook 2010.

• madscientest August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

no kidding! another shortcoming in the world of micro$oft.

• Brian Burgess August 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Yep, that is why we’re here. And with all of the new products and services on the way…we’ll be here to help everyone with those too.

11. Jose July 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Extremely helpful article! I also was confused about the proofing tab in Outlook, but just went to Excel and changed it there.

• Steve Krause July 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Excellent! Glad it made sense and helped @Jose

Welcome to groovyPost!

-S

12. MaineMom July 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

These are awesome directions, and I will surely use them, but this doesn’t describe something else I need to be able to do. As a copy editor, I have very specific rules I have to follow, and the dictionary in Word does not always spell things the way that I need them spelled, so it thinks a word is correct when it is actually wrong for me. How do I change these words that are pre-loaded in Word so they get marked as incorrect?

• Gary H August 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

I am having the same problem. Let me know if you ever learn how to remove a word from the main dictionary. It is very frustrating.

• Kevin Weinrich February 25, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Yes, I would like to delete an odd word like “finial” from the built-in dictionary.

13. Teresa Hessler January 4, 2013 at 2:30 am #

Thank you SO much!

14. Gary H August 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I do a lot of specialized typing. In the main spell check dictionary are words that “I” want to remove. These are words that Microsoft has added, but I don’t use them. I need to remove them to make spell check easier to use. I already know how to use the custom dictionary, but I NEED to remove words from the main dictionary. Can you help?

Thank you and could you e-mail me with a response?

Thanks again and I love all your hints, except I’ve never seen this one.

15. BobRobin August 7, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I looking for reply (to this post, Gary H August 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm) I need to remove a word from the MS Word 2010 Main Dictionary.

Thanks in anticipation…
    Bob

16. GBentrim September 5, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I use a lot of Information Technology related words in my work – most don’t make much sense as they are acronyms and such. However, I have found that my SpellChecker will identify a word that is missing a capital letter within the word (i.e. RedHat or SharePoint) but it will not identify a word that has a captial letter within the word that should NOT be captalized (i.e. VMWare – incorrect, no capital W…VMware – small case w correct).
    Any suggestions…

17. Anthony Farag January 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Spot on! Very helpful, I always wondered about this issue.
    Thank you.

18. MidiMagic March 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

My problem is that a specific word is flagged for capitalization, and there is no “Add to dictionary” entry in the shortcut menu and no Add to dictionary button in the spellchecker, but only when this word is flagged. “Add to dictionary” appears for other misspellings.

The word is “del”. In many proper names, “del” must be lowercase, but Word demands that it be capitalized.

I manually added it to the custom dictionary by editing the dictionary in the Options window and using the add button to add the word. But Word ignores it. Word still marks “del” for capitalization. But the custom dictionary still works for other words.

I posted this earlier, but discovered a typo in the email address after posting it.

Apparently Word has a list of words that must ALWAYS be capitalized that the custom dictionary can’t override.

How do I get rid of this annoying error.