How To Jailbreak Your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch

You can get some killer new features by jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Here’s a clear, step by step guide on how to jailbreak your iDevice.

Note: I’m using an iPod touch (4th Gen) with iOS 5.1.1 which is the most current version of iOS at the time of this writing. I am also using the Windows version of iTunes on Windows 7. But you can jailbreak it with your Mac too. Keep in mind that if you update your iDevice to a new version – iOS 6 for example, you’ll need to jailbreak it again.

iPhone Version

Backup Your iDevice

Before doing anything, you’ll want to create a backup of your device first. Plug it into your computer and launch iTunes. Right click the device when it appears and select Back Up.

Backup

Then wait for the back up process to complete.

Backup In Progress

Erase Your iDevice

Now you’ll need to erase your device. Navigate to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Erase All Content and Settings.

Erase All Content

Enter in your Passcode if you have one set up.

Passcode

Then tap Erase iPod and again when it asks to verify the Erasure.

Erase iPodConfirm Erase

Your device will reboot and when it comes back, you’ll need to go through the initial configuration steps you did when you upgraded to iOS 5.

The most vital selection to make during this is when you get to the Set Up iPod touch screen, select Set Up as New iPod touch (or whichever iDevice you’re setting up).

Set upSet up as new

, , , , ,

11 Responses to How To Jailbreak Your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch

1. laj June 28, 2012 at 4:07 am #

Please Brian,

I would like you to help me in bypassing by Mac air password as i have forgotten the right password.

Now i can’t log in to my mac.

2. hammad June 29, 2012 at 5:51 am #

Hey Brian,

is this jailbreak tethered or untethered?

3. Mechman June 30, 2012 at 12:07 am #

great tutorial Brian, you explained everything clearly except the reason to jailbreak my phone. What “cool features” am I missing out on?

4. Dimitrios July 12, 2012 at 10:16 am #

I brought my iPhone 4 from Peru and went to T-Mobile to get it connected but they tell me that it is blocked, I paid full price for it and it is legally mine, how can I liberate it, I have 5.1.1 version and I read your note about Jaibrake for the latest version but will it work to get it connect here in Miami Fl ?.
    I’m an ignorant old man in these matters, but since I read your post every day like I read a newspaper I even teach my children and grandchildren about the latest in smart phones and computers, you should get a prize for what you do,

• Brian Burgess July 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Well, I wrote the article using the 5.1.1 version. So, it’s going to matter what time you arrive in FL. iOS 6 could break out at any time, so you would need to jailbreak again…provided you upgrade to the new version.

• Steve Krause July 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

and provided there is a new jailbreak process that works for iOS6. Apple has a way of locking down phones to stop jailbreaking however it’s only a matter of time before a new hack is found to jailbreak most versions of ios.

• Hammad October 17, 2012 at 2:30 am #

iOS 6 jailbreak on iPhone 4S/5 is not yet released (as far as i know). But you can jailbreak iPHone 4 running iOS 6.