How To Install YouTube on Kindle Fire HD

YouTube for Android isn’t included or available for the Kindle Fire HD. The lack of common apps in the Amazon App Store one is one of its biggest disadvantages for users who want a “serious” Android tablet. Here’s how to install the Android YouTube on the Kindle Fire HD – no rooting involved.

The omission of the YouTube app on a media consumption tablet doesn’t make much sense. Obviously Amazon wants you to use its services, but it doesn’t have anything like YouTube, so why isn’t it there?

First make sure you have it set so you can sideload apps. Swipe down on the home screen and tap More then Device. Then turn on Allow Installation of Applications.

Allow Installation of Applications

Now download the youtube.apk file to your PC.

youtube apk

After you’ve downloaded the file, connect your Kindle Fire HD tablet to you computer if it isn’t already. When AutoPlay comes up click Open Device to View Files, or open it in Computer.

Open Device to View Files AutoPlay

Go to the Download Folder and copy the APK file to it.

Download Folder

Next, install ES File Explorer on the Fire if it isn’t already  and open the Download folder.

ES File Explorer Download

Tap the YouTube icon and follow the on screen instructions to install it.

YouTube

The cool thing about installing YouTube is it will display an icon in Apps, unlike the hidden Camera app.

Apps

There you go! You can now enjoy your favorite YouTube videos on the Kindle Fire HD.

YouTube Kindle Fire HD

Another app not included in the App Store is Dropbox. Check out this article on how to install Dropbox on the Kindle Fire. Installing it on the new Fire HD is essentially the same process.

, ,

18 Responses to How To Install YouTube on Kindle Fire HD

1. R. Carlson October 20, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Wonderful! After searching other websites for help in correcting this glaring omission by Amazon for the Fire HD, I come across your clear instructions here and Presto! Problem solved! Thank you!

2. me November 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

It isn’t there because Adobe doesn’t support Flash for mobile devices anymore. It’s not an oversight by Amazon.

• Austin Krause November 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Hi umm “you” , or “me”, I’m not sure what your name is, but that’s an interesting comment.

The YouTube Android App doesn’t use Flash to play videos, so Flash isn’t needed on an Android device except in the case where you are web surfing. In fact, Adobe officially stopped supporting Flash on Android as of version 4.1 (jellybean)

Thanks for the comment!

3. GeorgeZ December 11, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Does this mean I have to manually update the YouTube app then and re-download it from somewhere when a new version becoames availabel?

4. Rick December 17, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Followed all of the instructions and the Youtube installed but it does not have an icon in the Apps. I can search for Youtube in the apps and it finds it and I can start it but I have no Icon.

• Tom January 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

You must move the App to the /system/app Directory.

5. Tyler January 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

can I install from my kindle if I don’t currently have access to my computer?

• Brian Burgess January 3, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

You might be able to download the APK file through the Silk Browser and move it to the Download Folder in ES Explorer. I am not sure as I no longer have a Kindle Fire. But if that works, definitely let us know!

6. becca January 18, 2013 at 11:25 am #

It won’t let me sign into my youtube account. the box flashes really quickly. Is there a way to fix this?

7. Stephy January 23, 2013 at 1:15 am #

After loading youtube , I’m not able to sign into you tube. The pop up to do so disappears to quickly to click. Is there a fix for this? Also not able to subscribe to any channels. Same issue.

8. mike April 25, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Can’t sign in to YouTube. No good.

9. ripuree October 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks to everyone for comment. I thought I wasn’t getting through because I am a novice.

10. DAVID DICKINSON December 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I have just downloaded and installed the files but I have to launch the apps, then select E S File explorer then in that download and install youtube from there when it has finished installing I have to open it (again) then it will work.Also there is no icon for Dolphin Browser on my kindle fire’s carousel. I am at a loss.

11. travis vanderwoude January 15, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

thank you …it worked for me!!…do it word for word and it works!