Install Windows 7 Games Hearts, Solitaire and More On Windows 10

When Microsoft released Windows 8 a lot of users were disappointed with the lack of built-in games. The company did release a collection of modern Xbox card games based on the classic Microsoft Solitaire and Freecell. However, a lot of people weren’t impressed with the deep integration with Xbox and the online gameplay. The Microsoft Solitaire Collection stills exist in Windows 10, and it looks like this is the future of these popular leisure pleasures. I don’t like them either, and they seem to be buggy and can come across a bit confusing.

For users who yearn for the classic old school card games and others like Minesweeper, Mahjong Titans, and Purble Place, there is one unofficial third-party solution for you. The folks over at have hosted a link with a packaged setup file so you can reinstall your favorites.

Install Classic Windows 7 Games on Windows 10

Download Windows 7 Games for Windows 10, extract the zip file and launch Win7GamesForWin10-Setup.exe to start the install wizard.

Choose from the list of games you would like to install on your system.

games 4

After installation is complete, click Start and then navigate to All Apps > Games to find what you just installed.

games 6

Now you can resume your favorite past time just the way you like it.

games 7

By the way, we tested this out on the latest Windows 10 November Update, and it works on Windows 8, too.

Also, if you miss the classic Pinball game that was included in older versions of Windows, (I wasted a lot of time with it at work on Windows 2000), read our guide: How to Install Space Cadet Pinball on Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10.

Related Article:  Microsoft’s Project Spartan Features Visual Tour

17 Responses to Install Windows 7 Games Hearts, Solitaire and More On Windows 10

1. Stuart Wines January 18, 2016 at 10:24 am #

Just downloaded Window 10 Insider Pro Build 11099. As usual following W10 uodates re-installed the Windows 7 Games from your installation .exe file, but they will not start..

• martin ison May 1, 2016 at 5:21 am #

i cannot get my updates to give me back desktop solitaire.
      AND my c.d player will not work .

PLEASE help but speak in simple language that the computer unwashed can understand

• Michael Martin June 23, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

open the device manager (go to this PC and right click, if you don’t see properties click more then click Properties) find Device Manager and open it. Find DVD/CD-ROM drives, click it and it will show a listing of any DVD or CD drives on your system highlight (select) the one that is not working. Click Action then click uninstall. next click action again and click “Scan for hardware changes. test the CD/DVD if it still doesn’t work reboot and it should.

2. BobK January 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm #

I have been re-loading the Windows 7 games after each new insider build wiped them out (even with Windows saying on start-up that EVERYTHING is where you left it. 11099 kills the games completely. They instantly exit when you start them.

3. Jim March 27, 2016 at 9:01 am #

Thanks, but after 20 hrs of the microsoft techs trying to fix problems created by Windows 10, they rolled it bak to windows 7 Ultimate that I had before.

There are still problems that they can’t fix. It totally ruined my AutoCAD program and corrupted many of my directories. Thankfully I had backed everything up to an external hard drive and disconnected it before Microsoft forced Windows 10 on me. I didn’t lose much.

My brother is also fighting problems created when he “updraded” (HA!) to Windows 10.

4. martin ison April 18, 2016 at 3:14 am #

give us back our old solitaire and cd use.
    as a novice with visual impairment PLEASE use simple language for the technically unwashed.

• martin ison May 1, 2016 at 5:22 am #

please answer.

5. StuartW April 19, 2016 at 9:11 am #

Although the games still work in the current public build of Windows 10, it has not, as stated by Bobk above, not worked in any of the recent Insider Preview builds. Has anyone any idea if this can be resolved before the next big public build, which I believe is due in June?

• Andre Da Costa May 26, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

I need to test this out. Microsoft must be “intentionally” blocking it.

• Michael Martin June 23, 2016 at 2:40 pm #

to borrow a term from android the games seem to close as they are opening or instantly “force stop” the internet games seem to work.

6. Ken August 4, 2016 at 4:05 pm #

Just downloaded the new “Anniversary Update 2016”. It wiped out the games. I reinstalled but they will not run at all. Seems they are being intentionally blocked!

7. Niklas August 11, 2016 at 12:22 pm #

I noticed the same! 🙁

8. Bill August 12, 2016 at 1:41 pm #

me too, I hope someone finds a solution

• Niklas August 13, 2016 at 1:57 am #

The solution is to simply download the installer again and re-install it. The version from April 2016 works with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

• Bill August 13, 2016 at 11:41 am #

Thanks Nikias, that worked for me my Surface 4 with the win 10 anniversary now lets me play FreeCell.

9. Deb September 7, 2016 at 9:54 pm #

I had a clean install of Win10 by a computer repair shop (I find out later my Toshiba was not considered compatible, by Toshiba, with Win10). That said, I tried installing the Win7 games per the above and they will not extract from 7-Zip file manager. I was able to install the 3D Pinball and that worked!!! Thanks! But I’d like my Win7 games back. Don’t have a lot of computer experience so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

10. Jim October 4, 2016 at 5:49 am #

This is totally unacceptable, and we are at the mercy of those that desire to manipulate us with changes that aren’t needed.
    My O.S. went from a useful, enjoyable tool for me to a bunch of APPS and junk I totally have no use for.
    I upgraded in good faith to 10 from 7, along with many others, and I can see I’m not the only dissatisfied user.
    I really enjoyed the old windows 7 games, solitaire and hearts were my favorites, but maybe this is a good thing, it will force me away from the computer to read a good book or do something more useful of my time.
    All this extra “fancy crap” on the new 10 is rubbish for me, they took a good O.S. (7) and ruined it instead of making it better, WHY????????
    Maybe $$$$$$$$$ at our expense.