How to Remove the Annoying Paste Bar From Word 2010

Remove Paste Options window from Word 2010 Copying and pasting items in Microsoft Office works great, but it also makes a Paste Options pop-up appear.  This pop-up menu has a few useful options, but it also gets in the way and likes to linger around longer than necessary.  Are you fed up with the Paste Options pop-up?  Let’s get rid of it!

Step 1

Click the File ribbon and then Select Options.

File options menu in word 2010

Step 2

Click the Advanced tab and then Scroll down the right-pane window.  Under the heading “Cut, copy, and paste” Uncheck the box labeled Show Paste Options button when content is pasted.

Once you’ve unchecked it, Click OK to exit and save changes.

microsoft office options show do not show paste options button upon pasting

Done!

Now when you paste items into our Word documents you will no longer be plagued by the paste bar.  Albeit, the paste bar can be useful, but the majority of the time it just gets in your way.

38 Responses to How to Remove the Annoying Paste Bar From Word 2010

1. groovinJackman May 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Nice – this was a lot less cumbersome than removing the mini-toolbar:

2. Laurie May 12, 2011 at 8:59 am #

Thank you for this one. I find myself “plagued” all the time. I’m so glad there is someone like groovy post figuring out all this stuff for me! I look forward to the daily emails and save them for future reference.

• MrGroove May 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Hi Laurie! All of us here at groovyPost thank you for the great feedback! We work hard to put something out everyday so thanks for taking the time to drop a note. We read EVERY comment. Also, feel free to comment on articles you love so we know what you groovyReaders want us to write about. Were geeks so we love to write about anything Tech. Might as well be what you guys are interested in!

-Steve

3. Cliff June 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

4. Erica October 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

thank god! This is SO ANNOYING! It got in my way ALL THE TIME. Thanks!

5. Yukes November 30, 2011 at 2:49 am #

Thank you thank you!!

6. Happy Editor January 4, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This was REALLY annoying!!!!

7. Lois January 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

8. FountainpenLady January 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

One person’s godsend is another person’s pox. WORD does try to be so much. So cool and for that its dedicated teams have my gratitude, especially now that the references function, e.g. citations, etc., is growing up in Office 2010. The software has a long way to go, however, before providing scholar-friendly word-processing with the tools of a Nota Bene. But nine out of 10 receiving institutions only take WORD .docs formats. So, like a fly in the room, there are constant pop-ups and flashes of margin readings, etc. Thanks for swatting at least one down.
    Here’s a tough question. How does one get the references’ master list to print out or even copy?
    Thanks very much.

9. heidisierra March 26, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Thank you!!

10. Tony Thomas March 27, 2012 at 11:39 am #

When i copy and paste i want the original format of the internet with the hyperlink but my word document only shows keep text only format and checked.
    (File/options/advanced/cut,copy and paste) it is all set on (Keep source formatting(Default)). and still i see only the keep text only format on the paste option.

11. Chris April 3, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Thank you so much, I get really tired of Microsoft doing all this unnecessary crap that just annoys you more than being helpful. All this extra stuff and clutter should be disabled by default in my opinion.

12. Robert April 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

I usually use Notepad++. but occasionally have to use Word. Word sure seems bloated and distracting. Thanks for helping me quiet Word down a little.

Thank you!

13. Cathy July 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I did this and it STILL SHOWS UP! Grrrrrrrr.

14. JoJo August 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Thank you so much!!! Very helpful.

• Steve Krause August 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

You bet! Glad it helped you out. Thanks for the comment.

Sent from my Mobile

15. Bruce August 13, 2012 at 10:11 am #

It stops the paste options from showing up when you alt v but when right clicking and selecting paste, the option bar still shows up. Any idea on how to remove the paste option when right clicking to paste?

16. Janis Jocklin September 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

THANK YOU!!!

• Steve Krause September 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

heheh you bet Janis! Welcome to groovyPost, thanks for the feedback!

17. Ferd September 16, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Yes, very irritating thing, that paste bar. The thing that fascinates me the most is that this paste bar is implemented like this. That it lingers on to do more pastes i can understand, but after 2 or 3 seconds it should be clear the user wants to move on. Probably it is simply forgotten to program a time limit.

18. Daniel October 1, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Thank you. This was getting to be a new Clippy….

19. Mark October 18, 2012 at 2:05 am #

From Belgium thanks too, what a annoying thingie from MS, it must be in their way too when they design it? Whatever, I can go back to work again without this annoying menu in my screen. Have a nice day

20. Wojtek Sokolowski February 6, 2013 at 6:59 am #

Thanks a lot. This was helpful. The “nanny corporation” approach that Micro$oft et al. take is really annoying. Why don’t they turn all their “options” off by default and let the user decide which one he or she needs?

21. Gary March 14, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Thank you!

22. amy April 26, 2013 at 10:17 am #

Thank you!

23. Paul May 3, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Thank you!

24. Matt June 28, 2013 at 4:19 am #

Thanks for the tip.

I find the Paste Bar useful at times and don’t want it to go away permanently. When it does get in my way, I find that pressing the escape key will make it go away.

• Kailasa August 2, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Thanks Matt!
      I didn’t want to completely disable this function as this article describes…just wanted to get rid of the icon once I didn’t need it. (In older versions of Word it would disappear after the next text entry/selection/etc.
      Thank you for solving my problem!!!

25. Michael July 2, 2013 at 3:16 am #

been getting in the way for years and just today i bothered to look up how to do something about it.

26. Nancy July 5, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Yes, thank you, thank you!!

27. Michael July 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

i just wonder if you can help me with similar topic,”how to disable paste option in access 2010″? because there is no advanced option…..thank you.

28. RJ September 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Thank you so much! That icon was driving me nuts!

29. Adrian October 1, 2013 at 5:48 am #

Thank you so much for this. I finally took care of this after having been annoyed by it for so long. I can’t understand why they would put that feature.
    Anyways, thank you so much!!

30. Phil April 1, 2014 at 6:57 am #

Thanks so much for posting this. Helped me out considerably.

• sharon paddock June 25, 2014 at 6:03 am #

Cannot thank you enough! : )

31. Sandra de Roos July 25, 2014 at 1:06 am #

Thanks for making this annoying thing go away so quickly!

32. PersembeBaligi October 20, 2014 at 12:13 am #

Thank you so much. I cannot describe the relieve that I’m in right now…

33. Catherine November 18, 2014 at 7:48 am #

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can’t even imagine how delighted I am now that I found how to remove this stupid pop-up that lingers forever right where I want to edit my text.
    God bless!