How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10

Previously we looked at Wake-on-LAN (Local Area Network) in Windows 8, which we touched on in depth here, discussing the scenarios this nifty function can be handy for. In this article, we cover the same steps for Windows 10 users.

Just to give you a quick overview why you would find this useful:

• On-demand access to files and resources on a network – you don’t have to keep a computer turned all the while.
  • Energy efficiency, you will see a reduction in your utility bills since you don’t have to keep your system on all the time.
  • Great for remotely managing a computer, so you can access a computer that might be across the room or upstairs.

How does it work?

With wake-on-LAN enabled, your computer will “listen” for a “magic packet” containing its MAC address while it is in sleep mode. The computer can be woken up by sending it a magic packet from another device on the network. Again, you can find out more about the feature here.

What are the requirements?

Your computer might not have all the requirements for this feature that will include the following:

• Ethernet connection.
  • A peer to peer network between two or more computers.
  • The computer must be in either Sleep or Hibernation mode for this to work.

Enabling Wake on LAN in Windows 10

Press Windows key + X to bring up the hidden quick access menu, and select Device Manager.

Device Manager

Expand Network adapters in the device tree, select your Ethernet adapter, right-click it and then select Properties.

Network Adapter

Then select the Power Management tab and check off all three boxes shown below.

Related Article:  Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers Gets a ‘Critical’ November Update

Power Management

Next select the Advanced tab, scroll down in the Property box and select Wake on Magic Packet and ensure that it is enabled in the Value list box then click OK.

Magic Packet

How to Configure Wake on LAN

To make things easy, I found this easy to use utility — simply called WakeonLAN which you can download here for free.

This handy utility requires minimal setup and is easy to configure.

Have the MAC address ready for the remote computer that you would like to wake up. To find the MAC address, make sure the PC is connected to your router via a wired Ethernet connection. Disconnect any wireless connections you may have been using.

Open the Network and Sharing Center from the Settings menu. In the upper-right pane, click on the Ethernet connection. In the Ethernet Status window, click Details, and then you’ll see the physical MAC address.

Physical MAC address Windows 10

After downloading and installing WakeOnLAN, launch the utility and select File > New Host.

Wake on LAN 1

Under the Display Properties tab, enter the name of the machine and a group name if you wish.

Wake on LAN 2

Select Wake Up tab and enter the following information:

• MAC Address of the remote machine
  • Select Broadcast IP
  • For broadcast leave the default.
  • Enter the machine host name for FQDN/IP – you can find this information for the remote machine under Windows key + X > System > Computer name:
  • Click in the IPv4 list box and select your physical Ethernet adapter
  • Click OK

Wake on LAN 3

How to wake up a computer:

In the Wake on LAN utility, right-click the computer and select Wake Up.

Related Article:  Microsoft Makes it Easy to Decline Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Wake on LAN app

That’s it! If you’re having problems getting this to work, check out some of the troubleshooting tips below.

Troubleshooting Wake-on-LAN

If the computer is not waking up, there might be a couple of reasons.

WakeOnLAN needs to be enabled in the computer BIOS or Firmware. To do that, you will need to consult your computer’s documentation about how to load your BIOS.

BIOS shot

Fast Startup which is a hybrid state first introduced in Windows 8 can interfere with Wake On LAN. To disable it, press Windows key + X then Power Options.

Click Choose what the power buttons do then click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Troubleshoot wake 1

Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) then click Save changes.

Troubleshoot wake 2

If you like using this feature and have anything to add, or voice your thoughts on the WakeonLAN utility, leave a comment below. If things still aren’t working for you, head to our Windows 10 Forums for additional support.

, ,

19 Responses to How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10

1. Brenda B Bottoms August 29, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

Can you please tell me which are the instructions for the “host” and which are for the “remote”?I have a home lan and am installing PVN for a remote site. I think these instructions are all for the host, but wanted to check it before I proceeded.

• Andre Da Costa August 31, 2015 at 10:49 am #

Actually this is for the Remote computer.

• Ian August 23, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

I think the confusion is around which machine you are running the Aquila WakeonLAN program on.

Your instructional reads like this program needs to be on the remote computer being turned on by Wake on LAN, but the program itself looks like it’s for the local terminal in front of you.

I’m guessing there was an assumed swap of machine mid way through your article?

2. Brenda B Bottoms August 30, 2015 at 10:02 am #

I am running an ASUS Rampage V Extreme, and the Ethernet that is built in the Motherboard is an Intel 1218-V, and in the Properties the list does not contain a “wake on magic packet”. Do you have a work around?

• Andre Da Costa August 31, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Hi Brenda,

Unfortunately, not all systems support this feature. Did you check the BIOS to see if it is available there? If its not, then that further confirms your motherboard does not support it.

• karab44 September 20, 2015 at 7:54 am #

To enable WOL settings you have to install Intel LAN drivers from the ASUS R V Extreme Support website. Good luck!

• The Nerd February 9, 2016 at 5:27 pm #

Brenda, the ASUS Rampage V Extreme does not have that option. The built in NIC is on the PCIe bus you have to enable wake on via PCIe in the BIOS on the motherboard.

• The Nerd February 9, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

Oh yeah and you need to enable ERP ready as well.
        Wake on Lan is only supported in the S4 or S5 shutdown mode.

• The Nerd February 9, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

Sorry for the three pronged reply but you also need to turn off Fast Startup in Windows 10. And I also disable Allow the system to turn the device off to save power check box, on the NIC. This is not necessary as your hardware does not rely on your OS.

• The Nerd February 9, 2016 at 8:00 pm #

Actually no need to enable ERP… my bad.

3. Niels November 20, 2015 at 9:47 am #

Andre, Wake-on-lan is also possible from Shutdown (S5), not just Sleep (S1-S3) or Hibernate (S4). From your screenshot of the Bios, it is even supported and enabled (‘S5 wake on lan’ is enabled) on your PC.

The problem with waking from S5, is that Windows (some drivers) disables the network card or puts it in a low power mode before shutdown. Thus, even if the motherboard supplies the standby power, the network card is off and do not react on the magic packet.

For some network cards it is a solution to disable the option ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’. However, after disabling this, you can’t enable ‘Allow this device to wake the computer’. (Really stupid design). Thus, make sure to enable ‘Allow this device to wake the computer’ first. Click ok. Then go back to power management settings and disable ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’. This worked for me with an Intel Pro/1000 MT PCI netwotk card.

Wake-on-lan is notoriously problematic since many options have to be just right. I have worked with it many times and still find networks cards which refuses to wake from S5 no matter what I do. However, usually the problem is not the card, but the driver. This can be proved by plugging in the card while the computer is in S5. The standby voltage powers the card and the LEDs illuminate when a network cable is attached. Wake-on-lan works from S5 in this situation with most network cards. However, if the PC is shutdown from windows, the driver may put the card in a low power state and wake-on-lan stops functioning.

I recently worked with an Intel 82574L under windows 10. The default loaded drivers from windows turned off the network card when the PC was shut down. The work-around above did not solve the issue for this card, and I was unable to find other drivers which worked. For this card I didn’t manage to get it working from S5.

4. Duncan December 13, 2015 at 5:02 pm #

I have wake on Lan working properly. However I have an issue with the setting “Turn on fast startup (recommended)”. If that setting is off WOL works perfectly but when I shut down my PC it reboots automatically after 3 seconds…On the flip side if that setting is on my PC shuts down normally but WOL doesn’t work.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

• Mathan Tenney January 6, 2016 at 5:58 am #

Do you have “Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer” enabled as per the instructions above? It might be waking with any LAN activity instead of a specific wake command.

• The Nerd February 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm #

Try disabling the allow the operating system to save power to this device, might also want to try disabling the other two check boxes as well. This is not necessary, as the WOL happens via your Hardware and not Software layer such as the OS. So technically the only is needed to enable WOL is turning of fast start up. Also update your BIOS if you can.

5. Limbia March 5, 2016 at 9:38 am #

TRENDnet’s 10-Port Gigabit Online Intelligent PoE+ Switch , design TPE-1020WS , supplies a twenty Gbps switching ability with 8 PoE+ Gigabit slots as well as 2 Gigabit Ethernet uplink slots given to a couple SFP slots . This IPv6 set switch distributed excellent leads maintenance, troubleshooting, protection , less power usage GREENnet , as well as surveillance options at a more affordable rate .

6. steve w May 11, 2016 at 11:29 am #

I keep getting access denied for my network machine. How do I resolve this ?

7. Alex June 10, 2016 at 8:09 am #

Can you do WOWLAN (Wake On Wireless Lan) with Windows 10? Can you do a tutorial please?

Can I wake up my home PC that is shut down using WOL or WOWLAN ? (my PC is conected by wifi to my router at home. I use a USB Wifi external device. Shall I use an internal wifi card rather??) It seems that my USB devices are still receiving electricity even when my PC is off…

• Matt August 4, 2016 at 6:14 am #

I too would like to hear about Wake solutions that do not require ethernet.

8. Anthony Mcnamara August 18, 2016 at 1:43 pm #

So from few articles I’ve read it’ll only work through Ethernet connection to router rather than wireless