Recently I got a new laptop and no matter what I tried, I wasn’t able to connect to my Wireless Router running 802.11n. After playing around with the WPA settings I decided to check the wireless settings on my PC and sure enough, I found the issue. 802.11n had been disabled by default. Once I turned it on, tadaa… fixed. So, if you run into a similar problem connecting to your WiFi Access point, you might want to check the following.
Start by opening Network and Sharing Center. I did this by right-clicking the WiFi Meter on my toolbar.
Now right-click the WiFi adapter and Click Properties.
From the WiFi Properties page, just click Configure.
So far so good. This is the most complex part of the tip. Click the Advanced Tab then search for the Property 802.11n Mode as shown in my screenshot below. Enable it once you find it and click OK.
Now that you’re done, re-connect to your WiFi router and run a speed test. Hopefully your speeds are as fast as mine….
yeah, probably not. ;)