Although we normally focus on Technology, I love practical DIY tricks so I thought I’d share this little adventure I had a few days ago.
Recently I moved into an older home and found the mailbox key had issues opening the lock. After a few weeks, the mailbox key refused to even open it. Great! No matter what I tried (graphite powder and spray included), after a few days of not being able to get my mail, I knew it was time to replace the lock.
I started the adventure by calling my local post office which was a waste of time. They suggested a local locksmith and actually hung up on me. Yelp pointed me at a local locksmith who quoted me $250 for an onsite replacement plus an additional $150 an hour after 30 minutes.
So yeah, you can guess the path we’re gonna take on this one! Time to get medieval on the mailbox lock!
Thankfully I have a cordless drill so I grabbed a bit that fit nicely into the key hold of the lock. The main goal here is not damaging the housing holding the lock so don’t use a lot of pressure when drilling into the lock. Just drill straight and apply consistent pressure.
Note: If you’re not the adventurer / handy type or if you don’t have a drill, simply wait for you mail carrier. They will have access to the back of the mailbox and you can perform the steps below from inside the box. It’s not nearly as fun but… that is another option.
Once you drill through the entire lock mechanism, the mailbox door should open easily.
Slide off the lock bar and metal clip holding the lock mechanism against the door. In some cases the lock nut may still be attached to the lock. Use a wrench to take off the nut (although in my case, the drill took care of that for me).
Without the clip holding the lock in place, popup the entire mechanism and bring it to a local locksmith. In my case, although the lock was 15 year old he had an exact match that cost me just $12. Not too bad.
Once you have the new lock, slide it into the lock housing the reattach it in a locked configuration (lock bar out).
Screw on the nut and you’re done!
The new lock I purchased was a bit sticky. I solved this with a little Graphite Powder. Amazon has it listed for ~$5 however I found it at a local HW store for under $2 the next day.
In all, the entire job took no longer than 5 minutes (not counting the trip to the locksmith). Not bad considering the quote from the locksmith $250. I’ve always enjoyed DIY projects especially the ones with a drill involved… It’s a great bonding opportunity with my son and great way to show with a little work, almost any job is possible with a little time and patience.