Windows 10 Tip: Configure a Dual Monitor Setup

One of the improvements added to Windows 10 over Windows 8 is better support for multiple monitors. Windows 10 makes it easy to add a second monitor using familiar commands available in Windows 7. Let’s take a look at how to add and configure dual monitors on a Windows 10 PC.

Configure Dual Monitors with Windows 10

The first thing you need to do is connect the monitor to your HDMI, DVI, or VGA port on the PC.

Press Windows Key + P on your keyboard. This will bring up a menu with a list of options. In my case, I need some additional screen real estate so I will go with the Extend option. Extend will place a copy of the Windows desktop on the second monitor with its options separate from the main monitor.

Multi mon 1

In the example below my second monitor on the right.

Multi mon 3

Here’s an idea of what setting up a second monitor using a laptop looks like.

Configuring Settings

If you have unique requirements, you can adjust these using Display Settings. Right-click the desktop and select Display settings.

Multi mon 4

The Display Setting window will come up, and here you can make individual adjustments for each monitor. For example, the default screen resolution for monitor 2 is 1366 x 768, I can individually adjust settings for just that monitor without affecting the main one. You also have the option of changing the orientation of the monitor if supported, so if you read a lot of web pages, you can change from landscape to portrait.

Multi mon 5 a

To change the screen resolution, scroll down and select Additional display settings.

Related Article:  How to Disable All Unnecessary Animations in Windows 8

Multi mon 5 b

Click the Display you that you want to modify and then click in the Resolution drop-down menu and choose the resolution you want. Click Apply to confirm changes.

multi fix diplay

Changing Taskbar Options

One of the things you will notice by default, Windows 10 displays the Taskbar on both displays, but you can change this if you want. You’ll also get new options on the Taskbar properties when you enable Multiple Displays. Here, you can choose to have the option of displaying the Taskbar buttons only on the primary monitor or you keep the default and have it on both. I prefer to keep it on both screens for convenience. It allows quick access to applications or the Start menu.

If you do want to change it, just click on the Show taskbar button list box and select Main taskbar and taskbar where window is open. You can also customize how icons are displayed on the second monitor. Click Apply and OK and there you have it. You will notice this does not remove the Taskbar.

Main taskbar

Windows 10 also supports the new Snap Assist for multi-monitor setups. You can snap your favorite apps while interacting with others. Windows 10 makes being a power user a lot more fun and easy. Tasks like these used to be complex and required third party support in some cases. If you have not tried it, definitely check it out and let us know what you think.

19 Responses to Windows 10 Tip: Configure a Dual Monitor Setup

1. Les Willey November 28, 2015 at 11:33 am #

Running an HP laptop with an additional monitor. Worked fine with Windows 7, but after upgrade to Windows 10, it will not detect the second monitor. Without resolution, will go back to Windows 7.

• Barbara Thornton May 28, 2016 at 9:06 am #

I agree! 6 months later and Microsoft hasn’t fixed this problem! They hijacked my functioning windows 7 and left me with only one monitor and NO CLEAR EXPLANATION for how to reactivate the second. Bozos.

Barbara T

2. Anthony Benedetto November 29, 2015 at 10:52 am #

HI my desk top has 3 monitors and windows 10 pro when I updated it all 3 were still there in place with the options on all 3 and the main in the center like I had it worked perfect at lease one thing did.

• wkancyr February 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm #

are you saying that all three of your monitors worked with windows 10, not duplicating the screen but stretching the picture on all three, running a different program on each?

3. Les Willey November 29, 2015 at 2:45 pm #

Glad to hear multiple monitors can work with Windows 10. I made no changes to my hardware when upgrading to 10, but my second monitor is not detected. I was using only the second monitor with Windows 7. Sorry I upgraded.

4. wkancyr December 10, 2015 at 8:52 am #

getting the second monitor isn’t the problem, its the 3rd and forth, I have a sapphire, with 4 heads and with my windows 8 I could set up 4 monitors, I used 3 for my computer and one for media. With the windows 10 I can only get 2 monitors to work, sucks to be me who spent 350. on a video card and can’t get it all to work

5. Anthony Benedetto December 10, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

I have 2 GeForce GTX 550 TI cards and 3 monitors attached I never tryed to attach a fourth no room. They all worked in windows 7 and when I updated to Windows 10 they were just fine no problems But I have Windows 10 pro. on my laptop I have Windows 10 home can not get things working on it. I’m not sure but I think its windows 10 home that has all the problems.

6. A Miller February 15, 2016 at 10:47 am #

I would like to know which cable is best/correct to use for connection. HDMI to HDMI or VGA to HDMI?
    Thank you.

7. Anthony Benedetto February 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

i used HDMI to HDMI It was all new cards and monitors

• A Miller February 19, 2016 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks, got it hooked up and running. Works great.

8. Vivi March 8, 2016 at 9:00 am #

Window 10 PC purchased Video Card NVidia GT730 and my 2nd monitor is not working.

9. Anthony Benedetto March 8, 2016 at 2:25 pm #

What is not working? You have several chooses 2 monitor as one or 2 separate monitors which is the way I have my 3 Monitors. Its all in the way you set up NVidia software my problem was also getting the order of monitor in the order I wanted which was the center one as my main, after playing around with it it worked fine. But that was before Windows 10! when I updated to windows 10 every thing was OK!

10. MEM March 12, 2016 at 2:50 pm #

I just got updated to Windows 10 without my permission. Now it just won’t detect my 2nd Monitor. Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Lenha October 4, 2016 at 10:37 am #

My problem also. Running ASUS EX201.

11. Alex April 2, 2016 at 12:36 pm #

When I did all the steps my monitor was not detected. I used a hdmi to vga. I am using a laptop to power the monitor

12. Les Willey April 3, 2016 at 7:36 am #

I had exactly the same problem. I went back to Windows 7. I tried all the ways posted in this blog, no luck. My monitor was still not detected. Not sure what to do now.

13. Joshua Guthrie April 4, 2016 at 3:03 am #

My issue is when i connect any secondary display there seems to be a cutoff like the image displayed is too big by default, is there any way to make the image accommodate my screen more appropriately? (without sacrificing any resolution)

14. Greg June 16, 2016 at 9:16 am #

Does anyone know how to make the extend screen option the default. I unplug at work each night from my second monitor, re-attach each morning and need to switch from PC only to extend screen each day. Looking to save 11 secs of repetitive tasking. thx.

15. Jesper Friis June 21, 2016 at 12:31 pm #

Instead of buying Linked in fix this problem ….!