Do you want to have a remote Netflix viewing party with friends? You can use Discord to do it. Here’s how.
Have you ever wanted to have a remote streaming party with your friends watching Netflix? It’s now possible to do it using Discord. The process is generally straightforward, but there are a few things you’ll need to get started.
Unfortunately, even after getting started with your Netflix stream on a server, getting a black screen is a likely possibility. Luckily, we have some troubleshooting steps you can take to get rid of the black screen and have a quality streaming experience.
If you want to get started, here’s how to stream Netflix on Discord.
How to Stream Netflix on Discord on Windows and Mac
The process of Streaming Netflix on Discord is straightforward. While these steps have been written with Windows in mind, it should work with Mac, too.
There are a few things you need to get started—an internet connection, a Netflix subscription, a Discord account, and access to a Discord Server. If you have these, you’re ready to get started.
To stream Netflix on Discord:
- Open a web browser on your computer and load the Netflix website.
- Next, open Discord and join a server. If you aren’t part of a server yet, create your own server.
- Next, click Settings (the gear icon) in the lower-left corner near your account name.
- When Settings opens, scroll down and select Activity Status from the left sidebar.
- Under the No game detected message, click the Add it link.
- Select your browser from the dropdown menu.
- After selecting your browser running Netflix, click the Add Game button.
- From the main page, you’ll see that Netflix is playing. Click the Esc button on the top-right of the screen.
Go Live on Discord
Now that you have Netflix ready to stream, you’ll want to share your screen.
To share your screen on Discord, do the following:
- Select the Go Live icon next to the Netflix option near the bottom of the main screen—it looks like a small monitor icon.
- After clicking the Go Live button, a new menu will come up.
- Select your browser, choose the frame rate, channel, and resolution, and click Go Live.
- A preview screen should pop up displaying your Netflix shared screen.
- Now, anyone with access to your channel will be able to view the Netflix stream you created.
The Go Live feature ensures the audio shares along with the videos stream. If you only use the Share Screen feature, it won’t share audio with the video.
How to Stream Netflix on iPhone or Android
To stream Netflix on your phone, ensure you have the Netflix app and the Discord app installed on your phone. After that, use the following steps:
- Open Netflix and Discord and sign into each if you aren’t already
- With Discord open, select the server and choose one of the voice channels.
- When the following message pops up, tap the Join Voice button.
- Tap the Screen Share icon near the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Start Broadcast option.
- Switch back to your Netflix app and begin playing a video. Anyone with access to your channel should be able to view it. If you want to stop it, tap the Stop sharing button.
How to Stream Netflix on Discord Without a Black Screen
One of the most annoying problems when you’re streaming Netflix on Discord is a black screen. Here is a look at some common fixes for black screen when you stream Netflix on Discord.
Run Discord as Admin
- Make sure to run Discord on your desktop with admin rights.
- Open the Start menu and type discord.
- Click Run as Administrator from the Start menu.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
Hardware acceleration is a feature that’s supposed to improve graphics. However, it can be more trouble than worth, especially on older systems.
To turn off hardware acceleration in Discord, use the following steps:
- Launch the Discord desktop app and open Settings (gear icon).
- When the Settings screen opens, click Advanced from the column on the left.
- Under the Advanced section, toggle off the Hardware Acceleration switch.
- When the verification screen appears, click the red Okay button. Note that Discord will restart after clicking the Okay button.
Disable Acceleration in the Browser
Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser you use can fix the issue. Here we’ll show how to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox. However, each browser varies, but the idea is the same.
To disable hardware acceleration, use the following steps:
- Launch Firefox and click the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- Now, under the General section, scroll down and uncheck both options under the Performance section.
Watching Netflix on Discord
Using the steps above should allow you to stream Netflix on Discord. It’s a way to start a streaming party with your Discord friends. If you get a black screen, using one of the troubleshooting steps should get you up and running.
When you learn how to stream Netflix on Discord, it’s just one of the exciting things you can do. For example, you might be interested in sharing videos on Discord. If you’re new to Discord, you’ll want to learn how to get started.