A few days ago I explained How-To Defer the Delivery of sent items/emails using GMAIL. This deferral process is particularly handy for those “OH NO I HIT SEND” moments where you wish you could take back an email almost the same instant you sent it. Personally, I’ll never forget an early period in my career when a VP of HR insisted I open my manager’s inbox and delete an email she had sent him by accident. I wish she had read a tip like this one before she sent that email seeing that her email almost ended my career.
Update 5/19/2010 – Outlook 2010 Users – Please see the latest update here: – How-to Delay or Schedule Email Delivery for Outlook 2010
Anyway, after I wrote the How-To for GMAIL, I almost instantly looked to see if I could defer/delay the delivery of emails using Outlook…??? Guess what; YOU CAN! The feature is available for both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007. Very groovy indeed. Being that it only took me 15 seconds to find the Outlook Rule I guess I’m a bit late to the party (sorry groovyReaders!) Either way, read on for the 15-second tip! You never know, this How-To might just save YOUR job (or perhaps your IT guy’s job.) ;)
How-To Defer Delivery of Sent Items/Email using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007
1. Open Outlook, Click Tools, Rules and Alerts
2. Click New Rule
3. Click Check Message after sending, Next
4. Click Next again
5. Click Yes
6. Check Box defer delivery by a number of minutes, then Click a number of to configure the number of minutes of delivery deferral time
7. Enter number of MINUTES you wish to defer the delivery of Sent email; Click OK when done
Note: Deferral time is MINUTES, not seconds. Personally, 3 minutes is plenty for me.
8. Click Finish to save rule
9. Click OK when told about client-only rule
Because we clicked Finish early, you didn’t get to name the rule. To correct that just Click the New Rule and give it a new name as shown in Step 10. Name it something like, SAVE MY JOB DELAY. ;)
10. Click the rule you just created, Click Change Rule, Rename Rule
Wow, ten steps for a 15-second tip! Questions? Comments? Stories? Would love to hear from you!