Today Microsoft released Data Protection Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 (Sp1.) It’s a big release which is why I thought it was worth a mention this morning.
Although I’m not using it on any of my Production systems yet, DPM is a VERY promising alternative to the standard Tape Backup solution for Exchange and SQL. Of course, as I get my hands dirty with DPM, you should expect the How-To articles to begin flying out here at groovyPost.com. Until then, if anyone has any comments or would like to contribute with a few How-To Tutorials of DPM, please let me know here, on my Contact Page or in the Forum.
DPM 2007 SP1 Download Links
DPM 2007 SP1 maintains DPM 2007 as the new standard for Windows backup and recovery by introducing new workload capabilities, performance enhancements, features and options.
New workload capabilities include host-level and guest-level protection for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and Microsoft Hyper-V Server. DPM SP1 also enables protection of SQL Server 2008, Windows SharePoint Services and SQL Server mirrored databases, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 indexes, and Exchange Standby Cluster Replication (SCR). DPM SP1 also enhances Windows SharePoint Services catalog backup performance.
DPM 2007 with SP1 can protect data across multiple Active Directory® forests (with two-way trust) as well as Hyper-V and file data stored locally on the DPM server. DPM SP1 also bundles features introduced in previous updates such as Windows Server 2008 System State and SQL Server 2008 protection, tape library sharing, and improved tape utilization.
Installing DPM SP1 adds functionality relevant to the new Data Protection Client Management License offering. This offering provides existing DPM Client protection at a preferred price.
With DPM SP1, DPM 2007 provides an integrated approach for backing up DPM data to the cloud. This new option is delivered in conjunction with a solution provider that provides a backup and recovery service in the cloud specifically designed to support DPM. To enable backup to the cloud, in DPM Administrator Console, go to “Manage online protection” in the Protection task area.
For release details for DPM SP1, please refer to Knowledge Base article KB959605: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=137147.
DPM SP1 Release Notes can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135756.
For detailed information on features available in SP1, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
Feature Bullet Summary:
New Workload Capabilities:
- Protection of Hyper-V™ virtualization platforms, including both Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V and the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008. Note: For more information about the list of required updates to protect a Hyper-V Server, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
- SQL Server 2008 protection and seamless mirrored DB protection for SQL Server 2005 and 2008 as well as capability for parallel database backups within a single instance of SQL Server and enabling data migration from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 index protection, catalog optimization, and support for mirrored content databases.
- Exchange Server 2007 Standby Cluster Replication (SCR) protection.
Other Capabilities Introduced:
- Local data source protection enables the DPM 2007 SP1 server to act as a branch office server offering self-protecting File Services and virtualization hosting within one platform.
- Cross-Forest protection with two-way trust enables flexibility in DPM deployments across multiple Active Directory® forests.
Included Capabilities from the DPM 2007 Feature Pack (KB949779):
- Protection of virtual machines on clustered Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 hosts
- Protection of tape libraries shared between multiple DPM servers.
- Improved utilization of tape capacity by collocating data from multiple protection groups with similar retention range.
- Windows Server 2008 System State protection.
- SQL Server 2008 protection.
New Options Available:
- Installing DPM 2007 SP1 adds functionality relevant to the new Data Protection Client Management License offering.
- Cloud (or Internet) based backup and recovery: DPM 2007 SP1 now provides an integrated approach for backing up DPM data to the cloud.