OH, MY GOD! Outlook Auto Complete is SOOO SLOW! HELP ME!! <phew> got that out. The good news is I have the fix. Thanks to a bug with McAfee, Outlook 2007 (and possibly 2003) users will experience SEVERE lockups (3-10 seconds) and delays while typing in email addresses or deleting email addresses in Outlook. The larger your Outlook Auto Complete cache file (.nk2), the longer you will wait. Before I found this fix, I was ready to remove Outlook 2007 and go back to 2003……
Let’s get to the FIX:
The issue is a result of how the new McAfee Buffer Overflow Protection interacts with the Outlook automatic completion feature.
To fix the problem you need to tell McAfee to Exclude outlook.exe from the Buffer Overflow protection:
Add an exclusion locally for outlook.exe under Buffer Overflow Protection settings:.
- Click, Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
- Right-click on Buffer Overflow Protection and Select Properties.
- With the Buffer Overflow Protection tab selected Click Add.
- In the Process name field type the following: outlook.exe then click OK.
- Click Apply then OK to close the Buffer Overflow Exclusions window.
- Fixed! CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!
1. Please note, in my case, my notebook was installed with:
- Microsoft Vista Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 (errr… Office 2007)
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i
2. If your computer is attached to a company network, there is a chance that these settings will be grayed out. In these cases, your computer is probably managed by the McAfee’s enterprise management product (EPO) or, when McAfee VirusScan was installed, a password was used to lock the config. In either of these cases, you will need to contact your Systems Administrator or Helpdesk for assistance.
3. When I first ran into this problem, the first thing I did was delete my .nk2 file (Check HERE for instructions on where to find the .nk2 file) thinking that perhaps mine had become corrupt. Although this was a “temporary” fix, once the file grew I began having performance problems again with the auto-complete function. Just an FYI from MrGroove 🙂