How to Permanently Delete Your LinkedIn Account

When it comes to social networks and privacy controls, LinkedIn is one of the best. But, despite good policies and user controls, they still know a good amount about you. If you decide you don’t want LinkedIn harvesting your data, you can delete your account.

However, when you delete a LinkedIn account, it doesn’t mean that all your data is immediately wiped from its backup drives. According to the Linkedin privacy policy:

LinkedIn will retain your information for so long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, except in the case of our professional plugin impression data, which we de-identify after 12 months. If you wish to close your account, you may do so here. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce this Agreement.

Thankfully, LinkedIn seems to care more about your privacy than other networks. So if you don’t want to wait for LinkedIn’s automated removal process:

You may request deletion of your information at any time by contacting LinkedIn customer service. We will respond to your request within 30 days. Please note, however that information you have shared with others, or that other Users have copied, may also remain visible even if you request its deletion.

Log in to your account, and then click the Privacy & Settings from your account menu at the top right of any LinkedIn page.

LinkedIn Settings

Click the Account tab. Scroll down and click Change under Closing your LinkedIn account menu.

linkedin-close-account

The first account deletion page will ask you why you want to delete. You can list whichever reason you want. Click Continue to confirm the deletion.

linkedin account reason deletion

LinkedIn will ask you to confirm you are closing the correct account.

verify account deletion

In case the last two pages weren’t enough, LinkedIn will ask you one more time to confirm closing your account. This is the point of no return. Once you click close on this page, your account will be logged out and public profile erased within 24 hours.

close account confirmation, again

The last thing you’ll see is a page confirming the account was closed. From here on, your account will be logged out and no longer accessible. Within 24 hours the email you had associated with it will be usable to open a new account if you wish.

close account confirmation

That’s all there is to delete a LinkedIn account. As far as social networks go, it’s a vastly improved experience over removing a Twitter or Facebook account.

, ,

19 Responses to How to Permanently Delete Your LinkedIn Account

1. Jen Marsh June 6, 2013 at 7:28 am #

I just deleted my LinkedIn account. Will people I have viewed (not connections) be able to see that I have viewed them, stalker-style?
    I read online that the view will now be registered but by “Anonymous”. Is that correct?
    Thanks.

• Joanna November 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm #

Is this true?

2. BillyBob August 8, 2013 at 6:46 am #

I deleted my account as above months ago and when someone tried to add me, LinkedIn STILL sends me an email about it.

Social networking sucks!

• Dean October 1, 2014 at 11:55 am #

This happens to me all the time and its my number-one reason for hating linked in

• Peter September 28, 2015 at 8:55 pm #

Hi Billy & Dean,

I so called deleted my LinkedIn account years ago and I still get invites to connect… when I go back to log into Linked in, it’s magically all still there!

Would be happy to join them if one had control, but its good to be reminded and not slip into illusion when it comes to all things online.

They are liars, plain and simple.

3. christa May 8, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

Please just take my name of Linkedin someonelse added me in here and I don’t want each and every person to invite me on this app or whatever you call this as I can’t see any privacy connected to Linkedin!!!

4. sagar paithankar August 29, 2015 at 5:32 am #

Hey,

Thank you for sharing nice information but I could not found delete option on linkedin. I thought linkedin changed in delete account section, user only edit & update account.

5. Ranjita November 5, 2015 at 1:05 am #

My emails are coming to other person’s email id . How to change it to my email id?.

6. Ranjita November 5, 2015 at 1:07 am #

Plz help. My emails/notifications are coming to my father’s email id. How to change it to my email id. Plz suggest. Urgent.

7. Lynn Rhodes November 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm #

One less headache. Thank you

8. Sojat Seepoom June 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

May one delete a restricted linkedin account? If so, what is the procedure?

9. Kobus Uys October 6, 2016 at 11:25 am #

Please delete my account since I join Linked my email stop working Delete please

10. Mohan December 14, 2016 at 10:42 pm #

I’m getting the following message:

We can’t close your account yet
    It looks like something needs to be resolved before we can close your account. Once you’ve resolved the issue, please retry closing your account from your settings page.

What to do for this ?

11. Eva P. Scott February 2, 2017 at 12:43 pm #

Yeah, right. I tried deleting my account and they said that I had violated their policies and restricted my account instead of deleting it. Ha!

12. Shirleen March 16, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

I closed my account back on 8/20/14. Since then I have continued to receive invites and job offers. I don’t know the people who are sending me these invitations and I’m retired. Tried to go in and see what was going on and old address and password no longer work. Help me stop the nonsense.

13. Eva Scott March 17, 2017 at 1:51 pm #

Not too long after I posted this they sent me an email stating my account had been closed. Maybe they monitor comments people make online. They are – from my understanding – a Microsoft-owned company now. I’ll leave it at that.

14. Jen March 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm #

We have ignored a recent pending invite that was once a connection. We then closed and reactivated our account within 24 hours . Why when the account was reactivated was the person a contact when we removed them over 1.5 years ago?

15. Laura OBannon April 26, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

It has been a nightmare trying to close my linked in account. linked in was hacked and my information was found on the”dark web” as stated by security companies looking at that info that was gotten. Specifically stated the dark web got info from from linked in. It took sooo many phone calls and sites that sent me in a circle. HOURS of wasted time. Finally got linked in to say that they would close it. But then! 6 months later, had a friend say they saw my linked in account and try to connect with me. Really linked in. You need people on your site that not only got hacked because of you but are begging to be taken of your site and you just can’t do it. I’m trying again and the circular route that keeps taking me to the start of my request is driving me crazy. Phones are no better. Maybe I should try a local television station. Finney on my side seems to do well.

16. EL May 4, 2017 at 4:45 am #

I’ve been helping my bf to close and delete the Linkedin account 1 month ago,but until today his Linkedin info is still appear at the search engine.
    I’ve been sending Linkedin emails and write feedback on their website and try to call the no which I search in Google,all seems to be useless and nothing has been done by them.
    Call to the number,no live person attend to me and I can’t raise my problem at all.

I really frustrated and helpless. I really need help here.

Thanks!