Get Price Drop Refunds with Credit Card Price Protection – Including Amazon!

For the past several years, we’ve all been enjoying an informal purchase protection policy at Amazon.com, which would refund you if the price dropped 7 – 30 days after the purchase date. This is especially important during the annual Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals week when prices can drop 10-50% in a matter of days. Recently, Amazon changed its policy and despite an outcry from its customers across the internet, price change refunds from Amazon continues to be hit-and-miss.

amazon money

Like many of you, I was extremely disappointed by this turn of events. That is until I discovered a solution which provides Purchase Price Protection for not just Amazon, but everywhere I shop. Retail and online included!

Credit Card Purchase Price Protection

Early 2016, Costco announced it would be dumping American Express and moving over to Citibank. Reading over the detailed terms and conditions (I know, it’s a bad habit of mine…) for my new Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi, I came across a groovy benefit I never realized existed — Credit Card Price Protection or Citi Price Rewind as Citi calls it. Although I first stumbled across the benefit with my new Citi card, after doing 10 minutes of research, it turns out, all my credit cards including Chase, Captial One, WellsFargo and CITI have the same benefit called Price Protection.

What is Price Protection and How do I use it?

If you buy something online or in a store and the price drops within the covered period (60-90 days), your Credit Cards Price Protection benefit will refund you the difference. The benefit various between banks, however, overall, the rules for the reimbursement are relatively standard across the different brands. For example, although most will allow refunds on items bought online, none provide protection for auction items. In other words, it’s important to read the fine print!

Using the benefit is pretty simple. As long as the purchase is covered (sorry, farm animals not included), keep an eye on whatever you bought and if you see a price drop, anywhere… submit a claim to your bank and get paid. The requirements vary from bank to bank however most require original receipts and proof that the exact item did, in fact, drop in price. Citi is the only exception, kinda. If you register your purchase with Citi Price Rewind, they will monitor the purchase for you against a few hundred sites.

Granted, you should still keep an eye on price drops but, well done Citi… Just one more reason I’m happy Costco gave the boot to Amex. I buy a lot of stuff from Costco!

Credit Card Price Protection Comparison Chart

Below I’ve created a quick comparison between the larger Credit Card Banks/Brands along with a high-level review of the benefit details.

CITI
90 Days
90 Days
60 Days
60 Days
Maximum Benefit
$500 per claim, $2500 per year
$500 per claim, $2500 per year. Cash only, cloud-out, liquidation and going-out-of-business sales, $50 per item, $150 max per year.
$500 per claim, $2500 per year
$250 per claim, $1000 per year
$250 per claim, four claims per cardholder account per 12 month period
How to start the claim process
Call 866-918-4670 or register product and CITI monitors automatically or Online Claim or Manual PDF Submission Form.
Call 888-320-9656
Call 1-800-347-2683
Call 800-553-7520 or Visa Online Claim Form
Call 800-627-8372 or Mastercard Online Claim Form
Internet Ads Covered?
Yes, excluding  Internet Auction Sites
Yes, excluding  Internet Auction Sites
Yes, excluding  Internet Auction Sites
Yes, excluding  Internet Auction Sites
Source
CITI Key Terms Guide
Chase Freedom Benefit Guide, Chase Sapphire Visa Signature
Discover BenefitCenter Terms of Service & Discover card benefits guide (requires login)
Wellsfargo Benefits Page & WellsFargo Visa PDF
Benefits Site & Mastercard Guide to Benefits PDF

*Mastercard price protection benefits may vary depending on the card issuer. To get confirmation on exact coverage, I recommend you give your bank a call and get the specifics of coverage.

If you don’t see your particular card listed in the table above, just give your bank a call or do a few searches on the net. There’s just too many out there for me to list. For example, I did a quick search on my Capital One Mastercard and found my Guide to Benefits agreement. Sure enough, Price Protection is included on all my purchases baby!

The Price Protection benefit is an excellent example of why it’s so important to read the fine print when it comes to your financials. Did you know, Price Protection is just one of many amazing benefits you receive when using your credit card? Benefits like Extended Warranty coverage, Identify Fraud Expense Reimbursement, Rental Insurance and Roadside Assistance just to name a few. Granted, each Credit Card is different, but I think you get my point. Spending just a few minutes reviewing your existing coverage could save you thousands.

I really enjoyed writing up this article, and would love to hear from everyone on their price protection refund adventures! Positive or negative, if you’ve had any luck getting cash from your Credit Card company, please leave a comment below and tell us how it went. Also, if you end up doing a little research on your specific Credit Card, drop the details and links in the comments, I’ll add it to the article!

, , ,

20 Responses to Get Price Drop Refunds with Credit Card Price Protection – Including Amazon!

1. AlienTech June 19, 2016 at 9:29 am #

Great article. Although those not in the US wont benefit from this. Which was why amazon itself was great. We pay 25-50% on shipping because we know amazon service is great, it is a huge hassle to do much of anything via online between countries. So serice is a priority, I think amazon will find that they lost a lot of international customer due to this change. There are still local amazon stores but they do not carry the range of products and usually cost more. When my TV failed, I got a replacement in a few days and they picked up the old one as well. I paid more to get a TV from amazon and I did it that way because of the horror stories from others. I do order a lot of other things locally from other sites, one of them offering a cannon 3670 printer for just slightly more than the price of the carts, now if that breaks it is not a big concern.. But even there I got the product the next day, unheard of here.. Things like this are setup in the US in the last 15 years but others are just catching up. But service is still a decade or more like 50 years behind. The concept of customer service was developed even in the US very recently due to marketing. If you make it easy on people to buy and get them to buy it now by any means you generate a lot of cash flow. The service cost is not much compared to the turn over generated. Amazon will learn this too.. They became so big because they used this same service policies before.. Now they think they can create profits this way on the back of lower cash flow. Most likely to get stock price up. But when cash flow starts to hit the bottom line the board is going to question why even though profits are up. Although I dont think more than a small percentage actually go for this price adjustment. I know I did not do this before unless i was really bored. Who has the time? Most people I know did not have the time either and we were the majority of professional who ordered online or bought at the store.

2. Chinghiss Khan June 19, 2016 at 8:41 pm #

I live in Mongolia and these shitty banks here have nothing to protect me, no back-charges, no fraud protection, nothing at all.

3. Tammera June 20, 2016 at 7:39 am #

Hi Steve – I’ve had credit cards my entire life and never had any clue about this benefit. I personally have a Chase card and as it turns out, I do get price protection. I buy EVERYTHING with it so I’m currently going through some of my larger purchases now.

Thanks again! Love the site!

• Steve Krause June 20, 2016 at 7:44 am #

Awesome feedback Tammera. Thanks you. The Chase card does appear to be one of the better ones regarding different benefits. Please do keep us updated as you file a claim. Would love to hear how that process goes for you.

Thanks again!

-S

4. cooper June 20, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Steve- That was a super article! Even more super was that you really enjoyed doing this for your readers. You are a great “Team Captain!”

• Steve Krause June 28, 2016 at 7:43 am #

Thx Cooper! Glad you enjoyed the article. Keep us updated if you are able to use the feature.

5. Alex Leopold June 25, 2016 at 8:30 am #

Bought something on Amazon. Price dropped $38 so I just submitted my first claim. I’m using a Capital One MasterCard.

Will see how long it takes and post back the details.

• Steve Krause July 4, 2016 at 10:58 am #

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Waiting to hear back 😉

6. Bill Bauman June 27, 2016 at 8:04 am #

If one uses their Costco Visa card to purchase an item and the price drops in 30 days, why is it necessary to provide proof submitting a copy of the receipt? Don’t they already have that? Doesn’t use of the card verify this? So one needs to set up a very intricate file system to list and cross index every item they purchase, except for food, in order to be able to retrieve the original receipt? Or is it easier to register every single item purchased? Seems like a really safe benefit for the banks to offer since a claim from a customer is going to be a rare event and only on large ticket items. I am not seeing any reason to jump for joy here. “Claim denied, original receipt not submitted.”

• Steve Krause June 28, 2016 at 7:47 am #

Well, that’s another article I have in my queue. 😉

Costco, as well as many other retailers, will just give you a refund if the price drops X Days after purchase. For Costco, it’s 30 days, no questions asked. Just call Customer Service and they can pull up your purchase. The time-frame will vary depending on the retailer however 30 days is what I’ve been able to find online. Planning to call them today to get solid confirmation from them.

Now, after 30 days….. your best bet is the credit card Price Protection. Is it a hassle? Sure. But then again, these companies are in the money lending business, not helping you get the lowest price at all times. I think that’s reasonable.

7. Sarah C. July 7, 2016 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks for the great article. I’m an Amazon Prime member and, maybe twice in the distant past, spoke to Amazon’s customer service about price difference refunds. No problems. However, I have heard of this new policy. If I make a purchase using my Amazon Prime Credit Card, do you know if the price protection policy is included? Since I’d use it on an Amazon purchase, I have doubts they’d include a price protection policy on their own card. Yes, I do intend to track down all the fine print, but just wondered if you already knew. Thanks so much for your time and for sharing the info:-)

• Steve Krause July 10, 2016 at 11:07 am #

Hi Sarah

It really depends on which Amazon Credit Card it is. From what I can tell, There’s an Amazon Prime Card which is issued by some odd Gift card company and another Amazon Prime Visa which is issued from Chase.

I don’t have either card so I can’t get the nitty-gritty specifics on the cards but here’s what I’ve dug up.

List of all Amazon Cards available

Amazon Visa (By Chase)

Looking over the rewards for the Amazon Chase card, it doesn’t look like they offer Price Protection. They do however offer many of the other great benefits standard with other Credit Cards including:

* Purchase Protection — Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.

*Extended Warranty Protection — Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.

* Travel Accident Insurance and Lost Luggage Reimbursement — Just what it sounds like. 😉

Hope this helps. Looks like you also get a “Cash Back” reward on this stuff. Personally, I think a Citi Card would be better. You get Cash Back PLUS price drop protection.

8. Sarah C. July 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm #

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply! What I have is an Amazon Prime Store Card from Synchrony Credit (they offer 5% back or 0% financing for a given time, depending on how much you purchase). I tried to find info about price protection, but didn’t see anything. I figure I’ll just call customer service if I notice any price drops in the future. It’s only happened twice in the distant past when they still gave a refund on the price difference.

I want to thank you so much for your time in looking into this, for gathering info and supplying links – that’s truly awesome of you!!

Peace and Best Regards,

Sarah

• Steve Krause July 14, 2016 at 5:57 pm #

You bet Sarah!

WOw,5% back, that’s pretty good. I guess you’re ahead of the game as long as the drop isn’t over 5%. 😉

Glad you enjoy the site. Hope to see you around more!

-Steve

9. JohnnyNight September 17, 2016 at 6:28 am #

Hi Steve, Yeah great article, thanks much…

Wondering as a prime member or anyone I guess, if there is a big drop in an item can’t you just return it for a legitimate reason, like the product doesn’t live up to the performance level you expected, which is subjective or any other reason for that matter..

Bought a tv at Amazon about a year ago and darn if it didn’t drop $100 the next week, got the refund on that one no problem..

Doesn’t this give amazon a return problem if people want to do that..?

Thanks

• Steve Krause September 17, 2016 at 7:51 pm #

Heya Johnny, welcome to my blog! Thanks for the comments.

To answer your question — yes. If you take a read here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/request-amazon-price-change-refund/, many in the comments are talking about the REP actually mentioning, “although I can’t give you a refund, you can return the item and re-buy it…”.

So, I guess if you’re OK with the hassle, yes. That’s a viable option. Then again, before you go down that long path of boxing something up and shipping it off…. I would first escalate up through customer service and try to get a price drop refund first.

10. JohnnyNight September 17, 2016 at 6:56 am #

Hi Steve, Back again..

So just doing a little search around found info saying Amazon started the new policy a couple days after two new start ups, Earny and Paribus starting offering auto updates on Amazon price drops..

So looks like Amazon was willing to give the refunds as long as it was to a limited number of people who kept checking back the site for price changes..

Also though it appears the refund policy still is in effect for tvs…

The credit card deal though you told us about is nice..

Thanks

11. Lo S. November 25, 2016 at 2:44 am #

I request a return on item and buy it at new price, neglecting to refund the item within 30days of purchase just causes a burden on more people.

12. pricerewind November 25, 2016 at 12:31 pm #

legally could you make a claim if you saw the lower price BEFORE ahead of time of the purchase date? for example I bought the item today for $20 but I searched and found an ad 2 days ago that shows $10. Can I still price rewind it?

13. Laura December 5, 2016 at 12:12 pm #

Hi, how do you file a claim, can you give a step by step explanation?thank you!