How to Add Spell Check to Notepad++

Notepad++ is our favorite text editor and a must have notepad replacement. Unfortunately although it comes with a spell check tool, it doesn’t always have the dictionary files needed for it to run. Let’s set them up.

Click the Plugins menu and select Spell-Checker >> How to use…*

spell check how to use

*If Spell Checker isn’t showing up on the list, open the Plugin Manager and check it from the Available tab and then click Install.

notepad++ plugin managerinstall spell check plugin for notepad++

Now follow the link in the “How to use Spell-Checker” window to http://aspell.net/win32/

aspell dictionary link

Here you’ll need two files. The first is the binary file for the library software.

latest gnu aspell

The second is a pre-compiled dictionary (word list) in the language you prefer.

latest dictionary aspell

Run the first binary installer first, it’s full name should be Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe and it should be 1,277KB in size. Installation is simple, just click Next a bunch of times.

install aspell

Next, install the dictionary file. It has the same type of setup; click next until it is done.

install aspell dictionary

Now all you have to do is exit and restart Notepad++.

restart notepad++

The Spell-Checker tool from the Plugins menu should have different options. Click the Spell-Checker one to start checking for spelling. you can also use Ctrl  + Alt + Shift + S as a shortcut for this.

launch spell checker

An open spellcheck dialog works much like the “find” feature, except that spellcheck is automatically hunting down words that don’t match its dictionary.

spell checker in notepad++

That’s all there is to setting up Spell Check in Notepad++. If you’re not a user of Notepad++, give it a whirl as a notepad.exe replacement using Ninite — the free app which easily installs the best freeware on the net.

14 Responses to How to Add Spell Check to Notepad++

1. ^^TnT^^ August 1, 2012 at 11:43 am #

I was thinking about this today…. and then i stumbled on this one when i was looking for something else.. Thank you very much

2. buythiscomputer November 4, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Hello , I need some help :-)

Do you know if it’s possible to add Spellcheck to Notepad++ on Windows 8 ?

Thanks.

3. Steve Krause November 4, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Good question. I’ll have to install an test it.

4. naveen pg January 16, 2013 at 4:49 am #

how to pre compile the list? cos i am trying
    it for my home language, pls reply asap. thanks

5. Jordy February 27, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Thanks for this. I’d gotten through installing the binary and wasn’t sure about the dictionary itself. I appreciate you posting these instructions.

6. Mike May 1, 2013 at 5:03 am #

I used Notepad++ forever. It’s really great. But, despite numerous attempts to install the spell checker, I was never able to install it, until when I found this article. It really helped. Following the clear instructions, I was able to install the spell checker successfully on the first shot.

Thank you very much!

• Fogey May 5, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Ditto Mike!!

7. S.C. May 7, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Verry useful.
    I attemped multiple times to install but alwalys failed.
    Untill now.

Thank U!

8. Bob June 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Unable to install dictionary. Instead of getting the Dictionary Installation Wizard I get , for lack of a better description, what I call a DOS screen

9. Bob June 16, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

I just answered my own question, I typed in ASPELL after rename, hit enter and the Wizard appeared. I now have the Dictionary

10. buythiscomputer August 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Why are you still using the ridiculous notepad++ spellcheck when an “As you type” spellchecker for notepad++ is available ?

11. joebl September 6, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Alas, the spell checker is not particularly useful for many of us since it seems to lack any option for North American English. Sorry, but no sale on the British English “corrections”, though I’ll take Canadian if they are available, eh :-P

12. Keith July 2, 2014 at 8:47 am #

To clarify, finally I hope. This is what worked for me on a 64 bit windows O/S

It didn’t like being installed in an x86 folder for some reason (64 bit windows 7 box), if the ASPELL installer (and you did remember to download the language for your country from the website as well didn’t you) placed itself into an c:\program files (x86)\aspell folder then copy this whole folder, subdirectories and all, to c:\program files\aspell and THAT is what you have to type into the Notepad++ screen where it talks about relative path to the aspell-15.dll when you launch the spell check plug in.

The whole path being..

c:\program files\aspell\bin

Don’t ask me any more, it just worked like that after half an hour of head scratching