How To Forward Calls With Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and At&t

call forwarding on any phoneYesterday Mrgroove posted a tutorial on how to forward calls on an iPhone, so I figured that on my shiny new Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S) that the process would be somewhat similar.  After some testing, it turns out that there isn’t a native way to do it on Android, or at least not my device.  That leaves us with little choice but to use the fail-proof method.

Set up Call Forwarding by mobile carrier code

This method should work on any phone, not just Androids.  It involves punching in a code on your phone’s dial pad.  The code and steps vary for each carrier, so I’ve listed them for the 4 largest carriers in the U.S.

For T-mobile & Verizon

T-mobile has a detailed instruction page, but here are the basics.  Verizon’s is here.

• On the keypad, Dial *72 followed by the number you would like your mobile phone to forward calls to.

Example: *72-425-456-5432 (of course on the handset you wouldn’t include the dash marks)

• To Disable call forwarding, dial *73

For Sprint

• To Disable call forwarding, dial *720

For AT&T

AT&T detailed instructions here.

• Dial #73 on your keypad, then wait for a dial tone.  Once you hear it, Dial the number you want to forward your calls to.  You may have to repeat this process in order to set up call forwarding if the physical phone you are forwarding to is not available.

Conclusion

Phone forwarding is easy to set up on any phone, even if you don’t have built-in support for your device.  With just a couple steps I was able to set up mine, and after testing it (on Sprint) it works excellent.  My cell phone didn’t even ring, all of my calls just went straight to, well, whatever number I want!

, , , ,

9 Responses to How To Forward Calls With Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and At&t

1. Frank K October 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

I just did this the other day on my HTC Hero and used
    *28 + Area Code + 7-Digit-Number to activate
    and it’s *38 to de-activate . Works great except that you can’t foward text messages.

• MrGroove October 22, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Great tip Frank. And yeah, I’ve not found a way yet to forward TXT messages. That’s the only downside to throwing my phone into my cabinet every night. ;)

• Animis October 22, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Google Voice forwards text messages, sorta. It can’t do media texts, no pictures or videos, but it can do sounds.

Only problem with Google Voice is that you have to give everyone your Google Voice number for it to work. Usually they already have your regular number. Of course, you could just tell everyone that your number changed and have them call your GVoice.

• Trish October 14, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Is there a way I forward my calls to my home from my iPhone (already enabled) remotely? I live in the hills and have NO cell service. I have to drive 7 – 9 miles before I get a signal – poor me – I know. I only drive into “town” a few times a week. I never remember to forward calls before heading up. I want to call in on my land line #2, use my passcode, and forward the calls to Line #1 here at home? Cannot get to the app from here…. Or maybe from my computer? Any ideas? I think it is set up this way so that stalkers cannot forward my calls to their house in the hills….any ideas other than tie a ribbon around my finger with an alarm that hits me in the head while driving – or post a sign on the public road at the bottom that says: Don’t forget to forward calls! – Trish

• Steve Krause October 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Hmm… There might be a way from your PC on the AT&T website but after looking, I don’t see it.

Another option would be to use Google Voice to control the forwarding. You would just setup a Google Voice account then control where the number sends the calls. You can have it send calls to home home phone or mobile based on the time of day or even the phone #. Take a look here — http://www.groovypost.com/tags/google-voice/ where we’ve written about it quite a lot.

2. Shockersh October 23, 2010 at 1:13 am #

@animis what do u mean ? Sorry I don’t follow u on the google voice forwarding…

• Animis November 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

@Shockersh
      Well, if you receive all of your calls via your Google Voice number – yeah it is pretty simple to forward them from to any phone you want since that is the only way to receive Google Voice calls.

And, Google Voice will foward all text messages to your phone unless you turn off that feature on the google.com/voice page.

3. alanna September 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Hi there. I have a Samsung galaxy.on a Fido plan. I am needing to call forward to my home. But cannot. Any ideals.

4. Merribeth July 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I can’t find and wondered if there is a way to forward my calls to my other cell phone?