Pair A Bluetooth Device With Windows 7 [How-To]

Groovy How-To Articles, Bluetooth help, Answers, Tutorials, Questions, Responses, Tips, Tricks, and CommunityBluetooth has pretty much become the wireless technology staple for nearly all portable devices wouldn’t you agree?  What happens though when you have a Bluetooth headset or some other device that you want to connect to your Windows 7 computer?

Most smart phones have an easy to configure interface and you’ll have no problem finding it, but it’s not so obvious with Windows 7.  There are also times where things appear to connect to Windows 7 but it just won’t work…  This is what recently plagued me so I figured if it happened to me, it’s probably happening to more people..  With that being the case, what can you do?  Let’s take a look.

Before we get started, for this to work your computer will need:

• Option A: Built-in Bluetooth functionality
  • Option B: A compatible Bluetooth dongle that plugs into one of your USB slots.

How To Connect A Bluetooth Device To Your Windows 7 System

1. Click the Start Menu Orb and then Type devicepairingwizard and Press Enter.

Windows 7 Bluetooth Screenshot - device pairing wizard

2. Make your device discoverable, sometimes also referred to as visible.  This has to be done on your Bluetooth device and not your computer (unless your computer IS the “Bluetooth device”).  On most portable Bluetooth peripherals this is done by holding down the power button for 5-15 seconds and then the power light will start to flash one or multiple colors.  You may need to refer to your manual for the independent device for exact instructions.

make your bluetooth device discoverable

3. Select your device an then Click Next to begin pairing.

click your bluetooth device from the Windows 7 add a device wizard and click next

4. Even once you’ve connected, with MOST devices you’ll need to wait for Windows to install the device drivers for your Bluetooth peripheral.  By default Windows will only use it’s built-in device drivers so you’ll want to either enable automatic windows update device driver installation or manually grab the latest driver from your device manufacturer.  If you skip that you’ll probably end up with an outdated driver and might not have full functionality of your Bluetooth device.

Related Article:  How To Close Windows 8 Style Apps

wait for windows 7 to finish installin your bluetooth device drivers

Now your device should be good to go, congrats and enjoy your slick new Bluetooth connection!

you've done it!  the bluetooth device has been added to windows 7

Of course, being that were dealing with an unlimited number of device manufacturers (unlike apple) things might not connect connect flawlessly…  Fortunately there’s something we can try to resolve the issue once your device connects but still not work…

How-To Troubleshoot Bluetooth Connection Issues

5. Click the Start Menu Orb and Click Devices and Printers.

open up the windows 7 devices and printers window

6. Right-Click the device you’re having trouble with.  Usually it’ll be easy to spot because of a golden exclamation triangle (which is known as the Troubleshoot icon).

right-click your bluetooth device and click troubleshoot, notice the troubleshoot icon which is represented by a orange exclamation mark

9 out of 10 times the problem is because of a missing or outdated driver, but if there is another cause, it may or may not pop-up under the troubleshooter.

windows will search for a solution and if it is able to come up with one it will present youa  bluetooth connection fix

Hopefully that fixed your problem!

Unfortunately there will be times that some Bluetooth devices just won’t connect to your computer.  This happens to be the case with my iPhone 3GS (or iPod Touch) shown in the screenshot below.  The device can connect via Bluetooth but there is just no functionality over the connection simply because a compatible driver doesn’t exist.  <bummer>  Would have been nice if I could transfer files to is with Bluetooth vs. USB cable but oh well… Looks like one more thing I’ll need to play with. 🙂

there will be some bluetooth devices that just wont connect to windows 7 properly, such as an iPod touch or iPhone

13 Responses to Pair A Bluetooth Device With Windows 7 [How-To]

1. shockersh February 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

I really hate Bluetooth phones and computers. They REALLY need to spend more time on writing quality drivers so I can do more via bluetooth and my phone. Right now all windows 7 is good for (bluetooth related) is a mouse and keyboard. HELLO!!! Let’s up the game a little folks.

• Johan E. Bengtsson February 5, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Fiver years later, it has not improved…Bluetooth is a TERRIBLE example how a standard can fall short of actually ensuring interoperability. One could also mention the omission of a standard way for pairing+connecting devices by mandating support for a single blue button to be pushed on both devices…

As things stand now, I half-expect any Bluetooth device NOT to work, or at least that some idiosyncrasies need to be overcome even for basic use. Indded I a having abslutely no luck with Windows 7 for using Bluetooth headsets. Bluetooth mice work well though.

2. DivineInterv March 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

Nice little tutorial.
    I have been using my SE K810i with windows 7 since RC1. MyPhoneExplorer is a great little app if you keep ur phone connected to your PC 24×7.

The Only problem i cannot find a solution to is:
    after restarting the computer, the pairing disappears. Going thru the process everytime the PC restarted beats the very reason for using wireless devices – Ease of use!

(Will be watching this post. Srry, too lazy to register & post in the forum. :|)

• grooveDexter March 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

Very true, I’ve noticed that as well with some devices. However it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. Some devices will automatically reconnect without a need to pair them again after restart, however some are like you said and won’t pair.

A good example is my Wireless bluetooth headset, it reconnects no problem every single time I load Windows. On the other hand I have a intellipoint bluetooth mouse MADE BY Microsoft that won’t reconnect every time without putting the device in discovery mode.

3. MzKitti February 22, 2012 at 9:35 am #

wow i was so excited to find a post mentioning 3Gs AND the dongle…what a let down at the end…im new to the dongle thing and have an Acer Apire 5517. I guess ill keep looking unless you see this post and can give me some insight on the peripheral issue NO DRIVER FOUND…UGH!

4. john April 28, 2013 at 4:29 am #

your post, specifically step 2, was the key to resolve my bluetooth connection issue. it seems you must hold down the power button on the device not just until the device is on, but until i goes into the discovery mode with the flashing multicolor led indication.

that simple fact is not mentioned on windows 7 help or bluetooth wizard, microsoft online help or online bluetooth troubleshooting wizard.

apparently, you are smarter than all of the engineers at microsoft. thank you.

5. Camman3000 January 6, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

I have the same problem but the driver for the device isn’t on Windows Update or in the computer or even on the manufacture’s website so I’m at a loss of what to do. I even e-mailed the support crew for the headset, which is the Kinivo team, and i haven’t been given an answer to my complaints. Please help!!!!!!

• Camman3000 January 6, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

I have a downgraded windows 8 to windows 7 computer and have all the other proper drivers and everything else but the device doesn’t work

• Steve Krause January 7, 2015 at 10:46 am #

I had a lot of issues with Bluetooth on Windows 8. Didn’t get things fixed until I upgraded to 8.1. Just an FYI.

6. Sandeep K Arora December 1, 2015 at 5:12 am #

Does anyone knows where to download the drivers??

7. Prottoy Nirob January 7, 2016 at 4:50 am #

My favarite drive

8. Gerry June 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

I have a Dell lap top, running Microfoft it’s a windows 7, I am trying to pair a H.P. Bluetooth mouse. Just wont Pair. Any suggestions. ???

9. Noam June 30, 2016 at 9:56 am #

Download driver per your operating system here:
    Worked perfectly for me.