Run Any Application As Administrator In Windows 7 [How-To]

Windows 7 by default runs most applications with least privilege access (non-admin) in an attempt to keep both malicious virus code and inexperienced end users from damaging the system.  In most cases this is a VERY good thing however, more geeky groovyReaders may need an app to run as an Administrator for various reasons.

Although running Apps as an Admin can be accomplished using a simple right click, it’s also possible to set an app to ALWAYS run as Administrator thus saving a few clicks here and there!  Here, let me show you how!

How To Automatically Run Any Application An Administrator In Windows 7

1. Right-Click the Program Shortcut you would like to run as an administrator.  Click Properties from the context menu.

Note: In the case of Shortcuts pinned to the Taskbar you will need to Right-Click the Taskbar icon and then Right-Click the program name from the jump list.

how to get to the shortcut properties for pinned taskbar shorctuts in windows 7

2.  Once you are in the Properties menu, Click the Shortcut tab at the top.  Then Click the Advanced button.

the shortcut tab in the shortcut properties for windows 7 shortcuts

3.  Click the checkbox for Run as administrator, then Click OK to finish.

the advanced properties window to run as administrator for windows 7 shortcuts

Now your shortcut will automatically run your program in administrator mode without any extra steps or asking for special permission.  The only thing that can get in your way now is the Windows 7 UAC which is simple to .

, ,

8 Responses to Run Any Application As Administrator In Windows 7 [How-To]

1. ancjob August 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm #

great solution – worked perfect

2. Bill August 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

Hi, I am on Windows 7 and have a similiar problem. have to run outlook as an administrator to disable some old addins.
    I am signed in as an administrator user
    I do the above right click and go to short cut>>right click on properties>>click short cut>>click advance, but I CAn’t click run as administrator, it is there, but can’t click it.

Any idea would be great.. thanks

3. Bill August 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Found the solution to my previous post, when I right click on the icon>> goto properties>> goto Compatibility (instead of Shortcut)>>select run as administrator.

IT WORKED. Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction..
    Bill

• Jeff Weight November 27, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Thanks Bill! I’m in a corporate environment, and the solution provided in the original post did not work for me since the option was grayed out (probably due to group policy). Your solution worked, though, and I haven’t noticed any UAC issues (possibly due to the corporate environment, though).

4. Fady hadba November 19, 2010 at 1:38 am #

helo gys please can u help me about some thing
    i want to know how can i open program and features with an administrator privelage
    please can u help me and reply me faster

5. Ada January 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Is ther a way to programmatically make a batch file to always run as admin in Windows7?

6. Chris S. March 2, 2011 at 7:26 am #

Perfect! Fast and easy. Thank you!

7. Cromulent April 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Fail. I’ve done both what the writer recommended AND commenter Bill recommended and still get the UAC prompt.