Windows 10 Tip: Make Edge Browser Open to Multiple Web Pages

Windows 10 has a new browser called Microsoft Edge, and it’s clean, fast, and more intuitive than Internet Explorer ever was. The Edge browser isn’t totally complete yet – more features like adding plugins will be added in the coming months.

Still, it’s a refreshing change for Windows, and there are different settings you can tweak to make it work how you want. One thing it can do, like in other web browsers, is open to multiple home pages. Here’s how to set that up.

Open Edge Browser to Multiple Webpages

Launch Edge and click the More Actions button in the upper right corner. Then from the menu select Settings.

Edge Browser Settings

Scroll down a bit and find the Open with section and select A specific page or pages. Then click the dropdown menu and select Custom.

Then add the sites you want to have Edge open with…in this example I added three different sites.

Add Sites

Now when you open Edge, each of the sites you added will open up in different tabs. The last site you add will be the one that is displayed when you first launch Edge.

That’s all there is to it. What are your thoughts on the Microsoft Edge browser so far? Let us know in the comment section below.

, ,

16 Responses to Windows 10 Tip: Make Edge Browser Open to Multiple Web Pages

1. RonM August 4, 2015 at 7:05 pm #

I don’t like the lack of extensions nor the fact that Microsoft pushes Bing as the search engine. Or maybe I do not like Bing because of the fact that Microsoft pushes it on me.

• BBrown December 21, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

Likewise Microsoft/ Bing is worse than the federal government, no all governments federal, state, county, etc. etc. etc.

2. DWD August 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks for the tip.

3. Don August 12, 2015 at 9:58 am #

How do I open multiple windows in edge? When I click edge and try and open a new window, it deletes the previous window. I typically have 10 or 20 windows open in explorer. Do I need to go back to explorer?

• Karen August 13, 2015 at 6:08 pm #

I was trying to figure out the same thing. I used to just right click on the explorer icon and I could open it up over and over, but that doesn’t work with edge. Then I clicked on the three dots in the upper right corner ” . . .” which shows “more actions” and the drop down states “new window.” Click on “new window” and you should be able to open it up multiple times.

• Susan August 16, 2015 at 7:27 pm #

Just installed W 10 and discovered I couldn’t open multiple windows. However, found this site and your tip about going to the 3 . . . and choosing more actions and then new window, worked for me. Sure was easier when just right clicking! Thanks for the tip!

• Chris August 31, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

ctrl+N. Even works when the only window you have open us a pop up window so there are no 3 dots.

• Gary November 30, 2015 at 12:14 pm #

Go to the top right corner you see 3 dots (more actions) click on that and at the top
      of the list click on New window. that’s it.

• Ray June 11, 2016 at 6:23 am #

To open a new window and keep the previous, right click on a favorite or favorite bar item and then click on “Open In New Tab”. This creates a new window but does not open it. You then can click on the new window. I still am looking for a way to open the new window all at once.

• David October 19, 2016 at 11:17 am #

I hate Edge, can only have one site open at a time. This is a major thing for me, I always use to listen to Pandora or Sirius when on line. I also hate having a program forced on me and not being able to choose my downloads. Yes I know therte are work around ways to solve, but do nopt have the savy to do it.

4. SoonerArrow August 26, 2015 at 5:52 am #

I love the new Edge browser however; when I use multiple virtual desktops and click on the Edge icon in the taskbar, it takes me to the original virtual desktop where Edge was initially launched. I would have though that with the introduction of virtual desktops, Microsoft would have allowed for multiple instances of Edge to ran without having to jump through the “Move Window” menu option when you are viewing all of your virtual desktops (WinKey+Tab).

I haven’t found how to get around this. Has anyone else?

• PammieWammie August 30, 2015 at 12:24 pm #

Try opening two tabs in Edge and then clicking on one of them to drag it away from the other tab. You will now have two separate Edge browsers. Next click on the virtual desktops icon and drag one of the Edge browsers to the other desktop. A bit of a faff but is a workaround until Microsoft fix it.

5. Karen September 13, 2015 at 6:40 am #

How do I go back more than one page on Edge?

6. JRelyea November 7, 2015 at 6:22 am #

Opening multiple Edge windows is not the same as opening multiple Edge browsers. Look at Task Manager- there’s only 1. MS built in a “single launch” limit… sucks too. I typically right click the task bar, click the app name and a 2nd executable (or at least a 2nd window with Office apps) are opened. That is sorely missed. I’ve started getting used to Chrome. IE is slow. Chrome & Edge are snappy for hitting web pages but there are too many steps to open up multiple Edge windows.

That’s my 2 cents.

• JRelyeaw December 21, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

About 2 weeks ago, MS released a new Edge browser (version 25.10586.0.0) and it launches multiple Edge windows now. I suspect it’s still a single executable that launches because when 1 crashes (often does) all of the windows close with it.

7. RS September 3, 2016 at 8:18 am #

I have found that Windows 10 makes many routine tasks more difficult than they were with some of the previous versions of Windows. It is less intuitive and actions that previously could be performed with one action now take multiple actions in order to accomplish them.