How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config

Windows 7 Logo A few weeks back I explained Configuration using a .VHD file as the Windows 7 System Drive.  A few days later I explained .  Now after receiving about 20 emails the topic from readers, I guess it’s time to explain how to undo or delete the Windows 7 Dual Boot configuration.  My guess is the testing is done and they are going to wait for the Gold bits for Windows 7.

So, let’s get right to it!  For your convenience, I’ve included not only the Step-By-Step How-To but also a Step-By-Step How-To groovy Video!

How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config Screencast Video

How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config [Step-by-Step]

1.   Boot into the NON Windows 7 OS (original OS before you installed Windows 7 as a dual-boot).  For most people this would mean booting into your Vista install however I’m going to guess there might be a few who setup a Dual-Boot config with Windows 2008 also (me for instance).

2.   Click Windows Start button and Type msconfig and Press Enter (or click it with mouse)

Launch MSConfig on Windows 7 System

2.   Click Boot Tab, Click the OS you want to keep and Click Set as default

Delete Windows 7 Boot options from MSConfig Set Defualt OS in Dual-Boot MSCOnfig options

3.   Click Windows 7 OS and Click Delete.  Click OK

Delete Windows 7 Boot options from MSConfig

What you just did was remove Windows 7 from the Windows Boot manager so now it will no longer show up when you boot the computer.  Essentially, the computer is no longer a Dual-Boot System (2 Windows Versions installed).

The next steps is to just simply delete the Windows 7 .VHD file.

Delete Windows 7 .VHD file

Once you delete the Windows 7 .VHD file all remnants of Windows 7 will be GONE.  Hopefully this is how you .  If not, you will need to go to the System drive you installed Windows 7 and manually delete all the files and folders there.  Be careful not to remove anything needed by the current/original OS you want to keep.  If you didn’t install Windows 7 in a .VHD file, hopefully you installed it on it’s own Drive so you can just format it..??

Tags: , , , , , ,

, , , ,

20 Responses to How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config

1. Ledon Johnson February 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

How do you do this in XP?

• MrGroove February 19, 2010 at 9:47 am #

@Ledon – Hey there… I actually don’t have a Windows XP box anymore but I’ll look for a VM image and dig into it this weekend.

2. Gerdo February 19, 2010 at 7:54 am #

Hi,
    Thanks for this information, but when I start MSConfig again after a reboot, it says on the general tab ‘boot selectively’.
    When I change this back to ‘Normal’, there will be a boot menu and Windows 7 is set as default again.
    So, these does not seem to be a permanent solution.
    Is there a permanent solution?

• MrGroove February 19, 2010 at 9:46 am #

@Gerdo – Before you start on Step 2, goto the General Tab and make sure Normal Startup is selected. Then on the Boot tab set the OS you want as default then try checking the box on the bottom right (Make all boot settings permanent).

Let me know

3. Harvey D August 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

Hi, thanks for guide. What about if you want to keep Windows 7 but erase original OS I.e. XP, but not have Windows 7 on a virtual drive? Do you have to reinstall windows 7 fresh or is there a guide/way to convert the VHD to just primary drive. ??

4. Rudy November 19, 2010 at 5:35 am #

Boy you Guys do things complicated
    here is my way
    control Panel
    System
    Advanced
    system startup settings
    delite or just type “rem” timeout=30
    File
    save as boot ,yes replace it

5. bernard January 30, 2011 at 1:18 am #

ellow i hope someone could help me i have a big problem on my netbook
    i install ubuntu on my netbook but i has already a window 7 so i run a unetboot to do the dualbooting i successfully do the dualbooting but when i shutdown my netbook and restart it wont boot to any of the window and on the screen appear something like this

no module name found aborted
    operating system not found

huhu this thing suckss me..can anyone tell me what to do?
    do i need it to repormate my netboook
    i have so many files and document that havent save… plsss am begging you guyzzz pls help me…

6. swathy June 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

i have multiboot system but when i check for it in system configure ,it shows only a single os

• MrGroove June 7, 2011 at 7:37 am #

@Swathy – What are the 2 OS’s you have on Dual boot?

7. Thomas June 17, 2011 at 5:51 am #

@mrGroove I have installed windows server 2008 on c: and later Redhat 5 on d:
    The problem is that redhat did not create a dual boot and i can only boot from redhat.
    How do I force it to create a dual boot to include server 2008

8. loverboy23 August 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

hello to all…is their someone who can help me about my problem? my problem is this… i have a laptop with a VISTA OS and i was make it to dual boot(i install WINDOW 7) But, a few days after i notice that it was run slow, so i decide to delete a WINDOW 7. but, when i restart my computer, the system will still asking which OS do i use..

QUESTION: what will i do to stop the system asking about to choose the OS “””i mean, to run the system continue without asking? because the other WINDOW is already exist..””in short–to run the system originally””””like what they did before, when it was a single OS, like a new Buy….
    i hope you get/understand clearly……………..
    “looking forward”

9. shruthi December 17, 2011 at 11:34 am #

hi i too have 2 os ie windows 7 and vista but wen i msconfig i can see only one…plz reply

10. Ankit Agarwal January 19, 2012 at 1:31 am #

I have Windows XP(D:) and Windows 7(C:)& on my PC. I need to remove Win 7. But if I format C: my boot config file will be deleted and XP wont work. What to do ?

11. satish February 25, 2012 at 3:07 am #

Hi guys. My pc is a dual boot device. I have windows vista and linux. i just wanna format windows OS, without having any effect on linux. The reason for format is every time when i try to install any thing in windows it prompts for admin password.
    my cousin forgot it. can u guys please suggest me to over come this?

12. Bannu April 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

hi i had two xp os and two win 7 os’s i want just one xp and one win 7. how can i have them???????

• lt_hauhnar7 April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am #

A tha khawp mai! (A very good post!!)

13. hegde April 11, 2012 at 3:49 am #

i have installed xp and sabayon linux, my primary os is sabayon.how do i remove sabayon linux os without effectin xp?

14. Jannis April 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Hi !! I have a Vista – Win 7 dual boot configuration in two different hard drives. in my boot manager win 7 is my default OS !? (had vista installed first). Win 7 is on drive C and Vista on drive E, (this because i installed win 7 over Xp) so now I want to remove Vista from my system keeping only one OS. Question is ! If I follow your instructions but erase Vista instead of Win 7, will it work ? or do I get a broken boot menu ? Cause if I just disconnect the E drive and boot I get an error message that says something like: can not find operating system. So if anyone can help ? Thanks in advance !

15. sundeep December 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

thanks man :) it works

16. Rose Susen April 17, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Is this possible with windows 7 and windows 8 ? I want to delete windows 7..