If you’re shopping for a new job, used car, microwave or… whatever, Craigslist combined with Google Reader (or any RSS reader) can be a powerful combo due to a little thing called RSS! It’s a huge time saver AND, helps me get exactly the data I need in 1 centralized place.
How To Make Planned a Purchases On Craigslist Without The Craigslist Hassle
1. On craigslist when performing a search, enter into the category for whatever your looking for and perform the search and normal.
- Always enter a minimum price, this will keep junk from showing up. And help you avoid “too-good-to-be-true” scams.
- Check the only search titles box. Many sellers like to keyword bomb their ads, this check keeps out unrelated spam.
- If you’re a budget, enter a max price but keep in mind you can usually negotiate with a seller to work out a lower price.
2. Once you’ve performed a search, Right-Click the RSS icon at the very bottom of the page and Select Copy Link Location for Firefox or Copy Shortcut for Internet Explorer.
2.B. Optionally you can just Click the RSS icon at the bottom of the page or in the toolbar of your browser. You’ll then be taken to the feed page where you can easily subscribe with your RSS reader or Copy the URL from the URL Toolbar.
3. If your using Google reader Click Add a subscription and then Paste the RSS Url into the box and Click Add. In other RSS readers the process should be very similar.
4. By default the reader is likely in Expanded view, this makes it difficult to reader so lets switch it to List view.
Done! Now you can see all of the ads from your craigslist search right in your RSS reader and as new ads show-up, they will appear in your reader. Ahhh.. That’s a lot faster and easier than browsing the craigslist website and re-typing all the search information in several times a day!
Personally, when I’m looking to buy something I like to subscribe to several different RSS searches from craigslist and stick them in my Google Reader. Saves me a lot of time and, I can save the data in my RSS reader if I ever want to go back and a listing from the past.
Do you have a nice trick, hack or tool for craigslist? Would love to hear about it in the comments!