How to Disable the Office 2013 Smooth Typing Animation

In an attempt to make typing appear smoother in Office 2013, the Microsoft dev team included a default typing animation. If you’re a slow typist, then you probably won’t notice it. However if you type at a rapid pace in the upwards of 80+ Words per minute, then the animation can be really distracting. Instead of smoothing typing at a rapid pace, the animation causes the cursor to lag behind letters as they are typed. Check out this video below for an example.

To disable the typing animation in Office 2013, it requires a registry fix. You can apply the pre-made fix in the download below, or manually create your own.

The quick way

Download the pre-made disable registry fix, extract it, and apply it. Restart all of Office 2013 for changes to take effect. Some users may have to restart their PC to see changes.

To re-enable the animation, apply this pre-made enable registry fix.

The manual way

On the computer you have Office 2013 installed on, open registry editor. In Windows 7 or 8 this is done by searching for regedit in the Start Menu.

imageimage

Browse to the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common

Right-click on the Common directory and then select New >> Key.
Name the new key: Graphics

imageimage

Select the key Graphics directory and then right-click it or the blank area to the right and select New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value.

image

Name the new DWORD: DisableAnimations

And then double-click it and set its value to 1, hexadecimal.

imageimage

Once you have that set you wan exit out of registry editor. You may have to restart Office 2013 and/or your computer to see the changes take effect. If you want to re-enable the animation later on just change the value of the DisableAnimation DWORD to 0.

, ,

34 Responses to How to Disable the Office 2013 Smooth Typing Animation

1. Steve Krause August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Austin, you just need to buy a faster computer! I love the animation in Office 2013. One of my fav features!

• Austin Krause August 14, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Hey, it’s not just me. I’ll admit Microsoft has improved it in a recent update, but I still notice it. My computer is plenty fast too!

Here’s another person experiencing the laggy cursor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9Puso8crQ&feature=player_embedded#!

• Steve Krause August 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Yeah yeah yeah…. :)

I refuse to watch the propaganda from Youtube! (just kidding).

-S

• Sachin Doshi November 15, 2012 at 3:04 am #

Any word on whether this is fixed in RTM, anyone? I’m finding it a lot faster in the most recent preview (right before RTM) but maybe I’m just not typing fast enough to see it. In addition, in my preview the File menu lags on opening every time…on a quad core i7 x64 machine. Is that fixed in RTM as well?

• Revup May 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

No idea what RTM means.

• Austin Krause May 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

RTM = Release To Manufacturer

Manufacturer = Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc..

It’s the first version released to the public on a massive pre-deployed scale.

• Kelvin Zhang February 17, 2013 at 4:56 am #

I type 100+wpm and when I type my usual essays, this becomes a very annoying part of life. I don’t want to disable the animations, though. I guess I’ll just live with the lag.

• Steve Krause February 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

HI @Kelvin — are you finding it to really slow you down with the animations?

• Life2Death April 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Still notice it and my computer almost hits the wall on WEI.
      8-Core and dual GPU :)

• Alverant December 2, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Well whoop-di-do for you. Some of us don’t like the animation period and want it gone. MS should not be making these decisions for us.

• John July 19, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Yeah, and MS shouldn’t be making any decisions for you. You should decide all the features that they implement in any software that you use, before they make them.

Imagine you had to make all the decisions for any advanced tool you wanted to use. First of all, you would have to start from scratch as no other human decisions are allowed to be made prior – which would mean you start with a cave and a stick, and then go on from there. Good luck mate.

You got no fucking respect for the hard work of others. Just a righteous bullshit attitude. Go it alone mate, see how you get on.

(and before you start, I’m no fanboy of anything, I just hate it when people take shit for granted)

• Anders December 13, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Austin –>

What if you got a 64 bit version of Win 8.1. and the latest Office 2013?

Isn’t it supposed to be QWORD (64-bit) Value instead of the DWORD (32-bit) Value key you gotta add???

2. David M. October 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Just tried Word 2013. I tried typing randomly as fast as I could, and the cursor kept up just fine…

I actually really like this new animation feature.

• Steve Krause October 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

So do I :)

One of my favorite feature of Office 2013 so far hehehe

3. thwap October 27, 2012 at 10:58 am #

you’re KIDDING, it has to be a registry fix? oh well, at least it’s fixable, sheesh!

@mrgroove:disqus – I am using this on a maxxed out retina macbok pro with 16GB ram and top i7 cpu and windows 8 x64 and office x64. i noticed it immedietaly. the cursor while typing is not too bad (though i still don’t like it), but it’s the cursor jumping when arrowing up and down through lines that gets me. especially if the cursor jumps from beginning of line in one line, to somewhere else in the other line (like 10 characters in). it REALLY lags and makes it seem slower! maybe it actually is slower. i’ve ALWAYS (in the end) hated fancy windows animations and always turned them off. i just want to get stuff done in windows (or anywhere), i get more pleasure from it instantly popping up rather than going ‘wee, shadow/transparency effect/computer animation’ ;)

anyway thanks for the great article and fix.

• Steve Krause October 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Yeah you bet. Those new MB Pro’s are a sweet system. Why you running Windows on it?

I’ve got a MB Air and I personally only run Windows on it (via Citrix) in order to get the Windows Version of Office on it. Just cant stand Office 2011 for MAC. Can’t wait until the Office team brings feature parity to both platforms.

• thwap October 29, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Well all my life I’ve been a windows junkie (you know, the lifehacker tweaks-craving, registry-modifying, windows explorer-organizing, taskbar ui-hacking type), and a heavy user of much specialized windows-only software, in certain fields, so I’m still attached to it and used to it, but recently weaned myself off outlook and moved to all-google apps for my email and calender/tasks life (since having upgraded to android from windows mobile, the convenience of synced gmail is just too good and it’s now powerful enough for me if you enable all those lab features), and I might consider going to the mac eventually (which is saying a lot for someone like me), but might wait to see what MS do with Windows 9 first. And yes word is my main word processor, and I really like word, so I’ll just have to see in time what is most superior for me when I weigh up the pros and cons :).

4. Bernd Kilga October 30, 2012 at 5:41 am #

Note: In Office 2013 RTM the key needs to be “DisableAnimations” (plural)

5. Jonathan January 31, 2013 at 9:01 am #

You need to change the registry DWORD key to be “DisableAnimations” NOT “DisableAnimation”

• Matthew B April 17, 2013 at 2:04 am #

Thanks, Jonathan. I’d wondered why it made no difference the first time around!

I’m so pleased to get rid of the typing animation. I touch type, and so watching the cursor so out of sync with my typing was actually making me feel ill and headachy. OK, so maybe I’m an oversensitive soul, but I don’t want my work to make me ill.

6. MadD March 16, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks. Just one of the many annoyances that destroy usability in Windows 8 and Office 2013. When I first noticed this animation I got the urge to bang my head against a wall. I might be great for the average slow user, but I find it extremely distracting when the program can’t keep up with my typing. What was Microsoft even thinking?

7. Tuan March 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Thank you a God lot!

8. Victor-Philipp Negoescu April 16, 2013 at 7:50 am #

You don’t need to hack the registry:

9. Revup April 22, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Great fix, thanks!
    I am a freelance editor paid by the word. This was costing me MONEY.

I do not understand how the animation could be such a tax on my system though (ntel i7, 12 Gb ram, Sli-linked video cards for gaming). No other programs show any performance problems.

Thanks again.

10. Sam May 1, 2013 at 2:16 am #

Thanks!

I couldn’t believe this when I installed 2013! …. Totally nuts

11. Revup May 31, 2013 at 3:47 am #

UPDATE!

Removing office animation fixed the delay, however other issues appeared over the coming weeks, until I finally lost all video. After replacing one of the 4-year-old video cards, the computer was like new again. I re-enabled animation in office, and the problem was no longer present.

My system is an i7 with 16 Gb RAM and SLI linked video cards – I assumed it was perfect and blamed Microsoft for all my woes.

12. Ybsteg May 31, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thank you very much!
    I simply can’t understand the mysterious ways of the designers of Office 2007, 2010, 2013… They put some good stuff (quite a small amount of it) in every new version, and crap the usual “normal” user experience.
    Why are they changing/disabling good things?!
    I’ve spent half an hour searching for the setting to turn off the animation feedback – to no avail. Grrrr!
    For something that was just one check box click in previous versions, now we must edit Registry.

13. xtian September 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Thank you!!!

14. Ben October 21, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Thank you for this info. This “cursor animation” is useless, annoying, stupid, cosmetic crap! It’s like they had some junior developer with nothing to do and told him/her, “Here, play with the cursor and make it do something different.” Unbelieveable.

• Steve Krause October 22, 2013 at 11:50 am #

WHAT! I love the new cursor animation :) no seriously I do. Kinda makes it fun to type…. but yeah, I know i’m in the minority on this one.

15. Someone October 27, 2013 at 4:20 am #

My computer is fast and i had no lags with smooth typing, but i dont really like that, so thank you for letting me know how to disable it

16. Kathy December 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Thank you, Austin! I type over 100 wpm and this was so very annoying, like the words could not keep up with me. So glad I found your fix. Thanks for making it so easy.

17. Diego March 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thank you!! This was just what I needed!!

18. Henry July 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

How do you fix for mac (not running windows)?