How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive

Windows 10 has more ways than ever to recover and back up your system, as well as more advanced startup options (similar to ones in Windows 8.1). But just like other versions of Windows, there may come a time when you’re unable to boot if something goes awry.

Creating a recovery drive allows you to boot from the USB drive and access the advanced startup options. Then you can use those tools to help boot and troubleshoot the issue.

Windows 10 Recovery Drive

Creating a Recovery Drive for Windows 10 is much like creating one for Windows 8.1. For best results, grab a flash drive that’s at least 16 GB and plug it into your PC. Then type: recovery drive into the search field and hit Enter. Or select the option to create on from the results at the top.

That will launch the wizard to create a recovery drive. Make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is checked and click Next.

Now select the flash drive you want to use for your recovery and click Next.

Windows 10 recovery drive

On the next screen click Create to start the process of creating your recovery drive…it should just take a few minutes or complete. Keep in mind that the all of the data on the drive will be deleted.

Keep in mind that the all of the data on the drive will be deleted.

That’s it! Now make sure to put the drive in a safe place so you can use it in the future if needed.

Advanced Boot Options

If you’re unable to boot into Windows 10 for any reason, you can boot from the recovery drive and will get a menu of advanced options to help troubleshoot the problem and get your system up and running.

Related Article:  Microsoft Releases Update to Permanently Remove Get Windows 10

advanced boot options

For more on Microsoft’s new operating system, make sure to check out our complete archive of Windows 10 articles. Also, for more help with getting your system up and running, and Windows 10 discussion in general, join the Windows 10 Forums.

30 Responses to How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive

1. Ziggy July 21, 2015 at 5:57 am #

This will be the first thing I do when I get my FREE Win 10. Thanks for the info Brian!

2. Richard Kwartenf July 21, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

Hi there,
    Does windows 10 allowed two backups? One on a flash drive and one on compat Disk? And is it possible to install windows 10 and 8.1 on the same machine? For duo boot.

• RonM July 26, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Yes you can duo boot Windows 8.1 and 10. I have a system with Windows 7 and Windows 10 duo boot and a system with Windows 10 and Linux Mint duo boot.

3. Ziggy July 21, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

This will be the first thing I do after having installed Win 10. Thanks Brian!

4. RonM July 26, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

When I attempt to create a USB recovery drive, the system asks for a USB with 8 GB. I have tried an 8 GB and a 16 GB jump drive but the system does not see either drive. I have tried it by first plugging in the jump drive before starting the process and also by waiting until it asks me to plug a drive in. I all cases the option to select the drive never appears. Both drives are good and are empty.

• RoBo September 1, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

Hi, do you use a SanDisk, by any chance? There is a known issue with those, there is also a workaround. In my case the SanDisk shows up in File Explorer, files can be added/deleted etc., but the Win 10 installation routine does not see the drive. Other bits of Win 10 software might have a similar problem. Not sure if drives from other manufacturers create the same problem.

• Jack M. December 25, 2015 at 8:45 am #

Did you ever figure out why your Win10 computer didn’t recognize your USB drives when trying to create a recovery drive.

I have the same problem and it’s really baffling me. I don’t know if it has to do with Admin. privileges of what?

• Kim January 7, 2016 at 2:54 pm #

This is a strange conundrum as I have a year old computer i7 quadcore quite fast, initially it was 8.1 and I was given the option to upgrade to W10 which I did. I didn’t even think about any possible problems that could arise from backing something up. I found a couple of years old USB flash stick that I used for a previous mobile. It’s 8GB which is what the backup restore said it should be minimum. Stuck it in my USB drive, initiated the backup restore and directed it to the USB flash drive stick (drive\:) and it did so no problem – the USB is “SanDisk”. I must be lucky because I don’t consider myself computer savvy and the only reason why I’m on this site is because I’m looking to see it my backup restore is how it should look as what I now have on the USB drive is:- boot, efi, sources, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, reagent. So if anyone can tell me that this looks fine for a backup restore I’d appreciate it and best of luck with backing up.

5. PJ August 7, 2015 at 6:49 pm #

Hi, there.
    I have exactly the same problem as RonM – no drive I use is recognised by the ‘Create Recovery Drive’ utility but is perfectly visible elsewhere.

I have tried a couple of different 16Gb drives, one of which I bought brand new.
    I have tried with FAT32 and NTFS formatting.
    I have tried with and wiithout the ‘Backup System Files’ box checked.
    I have tried with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

My system is a Dell XPS14z with 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, Intel i7 and of course Windows 10.

Grateful for any assistance.

6. J. Swinkels August 13, 2015 at 9:25 am #

Why are all the data from the drive deleted ? You donot nean the USB stick ?

7. jxoho August 16, 2015 at 2:16 pm #

I tried your way to create a USB recovery drive. In the end it says ” Everything in your PC’s recovery partition has been copied to your recovery drive. …” I think in the recovery partition, it contains the original installed version of the Windows — in my case, Windows 8.1 not Windows 10. So if I use the recovery drive, I will restore the original Windows 8.1?

8. John Galt August 20, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

First, you say a stick of at least 512 mb, but the recovery page says at least 16 gb. More importantly, I have followed these instructions a number of times on a new (2 wks) Dell w/ win 10 installed–no upgrade, and have yet to get beyond “Insert a usb drive” (must be at least 16 gb). There is no “select drive”, and the next button is greyed out. There is considerable discussion on the microsoft site about this problem. If you have any suggestions about how to overcome this obvious glitch, please let me know. A great many people would appreciate the help.

• Brian Burgess August 20, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

@John Galt: You’re right, that was a type-o on our part and has been corrected.

Some systems tell you to have an 8 GB drive while others will say 16 GB.

As for options being grayed out are you sure you’re running your computer as administrator?

• John Galt August 21, 2015 at 4:39 pm #

Apps*windows system*right click drive recovery*click run as admin*enter. It creates a recovery point/ next screen says insert usb drive (must be 16 gb/ I use 32). Then next button is greyed out. Really appreciate your quick response but still no joy.

9. John Galt September 2, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

A couple of things: Recently I got as far as the fifth screen shot “Creating recovery drive”. I’m not sure if a Windows update helped in that regard. Unfortunately, about half way through the process (12-15 minutes) I got the message that there was a problem and creation of the recovery drive had failed. I used a PNY drive–32 gb. I don’t think most 16 gb drives will be accepted, as their usable space is less than the 16 gb that is required. If anyone has a further suggestion, it would be appreciated.

10. Sammy-Dan September 17, 2015 at 11:49 pm #

Please I need help, when I select the back up system files to the recovery drive, it gives me the error that we can’t create the recovery drive. Please help me resolve the problem

11. Graham September 28, 2015 at 11:43 am #

Is it possible to create a recovery drive and then install it on a different computer? I already have a laptop running windows 10 but I’m going to build a PC and would like to avoid paying another $100 for an operating system.

12. daniel1212 October 28, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

In Windows 10 Pro, it neither saw any 8gb USB drives, and failed at creating a repair disk in an internal (Dell 780) optical drive. I used a cheap cable adapter to hook up an old Sony pata DVD-rw drive which worked. Thank God for such resources!

13. paulo November 11, 2015 at 4:15 am #

I need help. I created a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive but a few days later my machine broke (a lot of sectors in hard disk corrupted in the laptop).
    I intend to buy a new machine (laptop) with W10.
    Can I use my Windows 10 USB Recovery drive on that?

14. jeremy January 9, 2016 at 12:20 pm #

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again? Not joking, I had the same problem with the fbrand new flash drive not being recognised. Chugging away nicely now.

Who is John Galt?

15. Barton Talbot January 31, 2016 at 6:30 pm #

Nice to see that a couple of you folks have read “Atlas Shrugged.”

16. John Galt February 1, 2016 at 5:16 pm #

Unfortunately, John Galt is presently the guy who still hasn’t had success making the recovery drive (it fails about half way through). I’ve been hoping one of these Win 10 updates will do the trick. Failing that, I’ve been waiting for something to go south w/ my Dell (thus far it has been working very well) at which point I will bring this up w/ tech support there when I call them. Until then, best of luck to all w/ the same problem.

17. Don March 11, 2016 at 10:39 am #

I have followed these instructions, but when I check the drive after creation, it only uses 1/2 GB of space, does not seem to be everything in that small an area. I’m using a 32 GB Sandisk. Just don’t seem right.

• Don March 11, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

I see that it is installing the utilities, but is not backing up system files to the recovery drive. I just did my wife’s computer, and everything went fine. The two computers are basically the same.

18. Tab May 19, 2016 at 9:16 am #

I keep trying to create a recovery disk,using an external harddrive, but just as it starts, it says it ‘encountered a problem’ with no info or reason given. What do I do now? My son’s pc (a similar model and a year older than this one) all of a sudden stopped connecting to the internet (ip not binding or something). I have tried everything to fix it and even the hp diagnostic tool can’t fix it. I downloaded new drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled, etc… and same thing. So thought I would try creating a recovery from this pc (didn’t realize his recovery/backup options weren’t on until I tried to do a system restore on it), but like I said, it won’t create one. I’m at a loss…

19. Tab May 24, 2016 at 11:26 am #

UPDATE – I finally managed to create a system recovery disk from another similar pc and used it in the problematic device and, knock on wood, it’s working now. I backed up all his files before hand so just reinstalled them, however, some of his programs needed to be re-downloaded in order to work correctly.

20. holdum333 June 21, 2016 at 6:08 pm #

The problem is with the sandisk USB. For some unknown reason MS does not recognize it to create a Media Creation Tool (MCT) or a Rescue Drive. You can use a 16 GB PNY USB and it will work just fine!!
    Other brands might work also. O know PNY will get the job done for you.
    Good luck Mate!

21. Jane August 6, 2016 at 12:51 pm #

When I tried to create a usb backup on a Windows 10 pro, it told me that I needed to format the Maxtor OneTouch III that i was using. When I said ‘format’, it said it couldn’t do it. Then it proceeded to create the backup on the Maxtor. Is the backup reliable?

22. dan September 3, 2016 at 10:05 pm #

If my BIOS does not offer to boot from a USB, can anything be done to do so?

23. Pritam shiv October 26, 2016 at 5:10 am #

How many of size usb i needed? 16gb or 32 gb ? because . I think in 16gb usb as their usable space is less than the 16 gb that is required. If anyone has a further suggestion, it would be appreciated.