Create a Local Account In Windows 10 (Updated)

Editor Update: 8/21/2015: We wrote this article while Windows 10 was still in its Preview stage. We’ve updated it to reflect the changes that are now in the final release. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be able to add a user with a Local account.

If you have upgraded to Windows 10 and logged in with your Microsoft account, you agree to share a lot of info with Microsoft. There are benefits to using your Microsoft account as your login. It allows you to sync personalized settings, files in OneDrive, Windows Store apps, and more between Windows 10 devices.

However, you might want to create a local account instead. Maybe you need to create an account for someone in your household, or a small business who doesn’t have or need a Microsoft account. Whatever the case, here’s a look at setting one up.

Create a Local Windows 10 Account

There are a few ways to do this, but I will share the way I prefer to do it. First, you will need to login to your Windows 10 PC or device as Administrator.

Then right-click the Start menu to access the hidden power user menu, and select Run.

Power User menu

Alternately you can use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box. Once you have it open, type: control userpasswords2 and hit Enter or click OK.

run

The User Account screen will open; Click the Add button.

User Accounts Windows 10

The next screen will ask how this person will sign in. At the bottom of this screen select: ‘Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)’ and click Next.

The next screen will describe the differences between a Microsoft account and a Local account. Select the Local account button at the bottom.

explain accounts

Now you can enter the user’s name, password, and password hint. Click Next.

Enter User Info

That’s it! Click Finish to add the user.

sshot-1

When creating a new user account, they will be a Standard user by default, which is better for security, but you can change it to Administrator if you’re creating the local account for yourself.

To do that, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. From there click on the new user account you just created and then Change account type.

sshot-2

Next just change the account type from Standard User to Administrator and click OK. Note that you can remove the account from here as well.

sshot-3

There are several reasons why you’d want to create a Local account, but, again, keep in mind, this user won’t be able to sync their setting across computers – that includes Mail, Groove Music, or data stored in OneDrive.

, ,

47 Responses to Create a Local Account In Windows 10 (Updated)

1. John March 30, 2015 at 5:48 am #

Or maybe you’re a business and don’t need or want your users using a Microsoft Account.

2. skull August 7, 2015 at 3:37 am #

i don’t have an “other users” tab on my settings>account, all i have there are Your account, sign in options, work access, family and other users, sync your settings.

when i go to family and other users, i click on other users> add someone else to this PC, and then i don’t have the option to select Local account, just “the person i want to add doesn’t have an email address” and when i click it, the form even has country, birthday, email. what to do?

• Anon August 7, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Once you are in “The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address” section at the very bottom it says “Add a user without a microsoft account”

3. Irfan August 9, 2015 at 6:28 am #

I am using windws 10 Pro and i have no such option

4. steve August 21, 2015 at 7:22 am #

This process has changed significantly since official release. I suggest you update this article, because Microsoft has since made it so users are pushed to use Microsoft accounts more heavily and figuring out how to add a local account has become more difficult.

• Brian Burgess August 21, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

Thanks for bringing this up Steve. We’ve updated this article to reflect the changes.

• davewl November 14, 2015 at 7:50 am #

My Windows 10 PRO offers no such option for other users that are not registered microsoft. It seems to need a highspeed internet connection to add a user. The options are Add a family member or Add someone else. Both options just hang there like they are trying to find something…..and then flash the message SOMETHING WENT WRONG try again or cancel. Try again never works and cancel is a CRAP option.
        Now that CLEAR wireless has been snuffed out I can’t afford highspeed and I don’t know why microsoft would need my kids info to use MY computer.

• Cathy June 9, 2016 at 5:20 am #

I’ve been trying to set my son up as a local user (no Microsoft account) and I create the account but when I click to log him in, it says error couldn’t load the user account. It appears I can create the account, but it won’t let the account log in.

• Mohit Bhardwaj September 22, 2015 at 7:53 am #

exactly

5. Rob Orchard August 22, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Thanks for the helpful instructions. After creating local accounts for the kids, how would I go about enabling the child safety features on their accounts?

6. badbigben August 25, 2015 at 5:56 am #

or simply install without an ethernet cable attached…
    WinX will then not even ask about signing into a MS Account…

7. txs August 27, 2015 at 10:11 am #

ThanksI just did this and everything worked.

8. Ashley August 28, 2015 at 11:43 pm #

I don not require any of the options that come with having a Microsoft Account so this sounds like a great idea. All I need is access to the internet, and to know that my files are safe from Microsoft’s snooping/Policing and deleting policy. Will having a local account keep our personal files safe? Has anyone worked or tested this out yet?

9. Phil September 2, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

Worked well just as you had it. Went into advance and set up as administrator. Easy

10. Mark September 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm #

Two questions, if I may:

1. Is there a problem with using the Sign in with a local account instead option in Settings -> Accounts?

2. Will I lose access to my programs, desktop configuration/personalization, etc. when I do this?

I’ve been running under my Microsoft account since I upgraded to W10. What will I lose (or have hidden), if anything, if I switch to using a local account?

I remember correctly under W7, if you switched users you lost access to everything in the first user’s account.

Since I’ve been using the MS account for a good month now, I’m concerned what will change if I go with the local account.

Thanks for any thoughts.

11. Dan Liston September 9, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

Have you considered a somewhat familiar process using lusrmgr.msc?

Right click start, click Run (windows key +R) – Type “lusrmgr.msc” “Enter” (OK)
    Right click “Users” in the left panel, click “New User” in the drop down menu.
    Fill in the blanks, modify check boxes, click “Create”.

Now that the user shows up in the middle panel, you can right click on the user to change properties.
    Here you can use the “Member Of” tab to add them to the “Administrators” group.

• Gerard ONeill December 19, 2015 at 9:52 am #

You are a very beautiful person. Thank you for being you.

12. Pedro September 10, 2015 at 7:57 am #

When I upgraded from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 all the existing accounts were migrated as other users, as usual, everyone has its own desk and applications, now in Windows 8.1, I can control the duration of using the PC for each user, now this feature in Windows 10 can be done just for child account under family accounts. How could I do if I don’t want to delete all the accounts and create them again?, they are going to lost all their setting and applications.
    Thanks…

13. Mohit Bhardwaj September 22, 2015 at 7:52 am #

Woww
    Thanks a lot man
    seriously i was not able to add a local account though user account in control panel or in settings .
    man how do you know all this. on my own i don’t think i would have ever figured that out

14. Martin Mortensen September 23, 2015 at 2:11 pm #

Brian –

Thanks I was literally stuck on the “Something went wrong” when trying to add a new user window. Try again did not help nothing worked in my attempt to get my Daughters PC to work with the Windows 10 Upgrade, done today the 23rd of September with all available updates from MSFT. Every single process you described above just worked flawlessly. I had no issue with another system I did earlier – so I am baffled as to why this happens. I had a hunch that something was going at the user profile level and so I linked that with the “sorry..” and google found your article in 10 ms. So, again thanks for this VERY informative article on a topic I quite frankly think is embarrassing, when you think what Microsoft’s intention are with tying user accounts to “live- accounts”, and then your can’t even get to create an account on freshly updated system?!

I really appreciate your effort!

Martin Mortensen, New York.

15. Charles September 30, 2015 at 2:55 am #

Thanks a lot. I didn’t even see the “sign in without a Microsoft account” part

16. Raphael October 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Brian. Thanks for all guidance.
    I could install the local account but when trying to login, it is running and then sign out.
    Please help.

17. smt October 10, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

THANK YOU for this! I was able to create a new local account after continually getting “Something Went Wrong” while attempting it from the Settings menu. Many thanks, again!

18. Nick de Takacsy October 18, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Thank you – I would never have guessed it.

19. Tom October 20, 2015 at 9:39 am #

How can I “add” back the same local account that I was using before upgrading to Win 10? When I try to save files to my original local account folders I am told by Win 10 that I don’t have permission to save there, even though my current Microsoft Account is an admin account on my computer.

Also, when I try to add a new local account with the same name, Win 10 changes the name to “[username]_2” and will not sync with the currently existing folder structure from my pre-upgrade local admin account.

If this makes any sense I would be greatly appreciative of any assistance that you might provide.

Thanks!
    Tom

• Frank October 27, 2015 at 9:13 am #

I have just been round this very loop. I would love to know how to get it working the way my wife was happy with. I also tried creating an local account with the same name as the previous W7 one and found it had created a second_2 account with no access to the original folders. The main account is now pretty similar to pre W10 but you have to log in with my MS Account username and password. Very frustrating.

• Scott November 6, 2015 at 7:43 am #

I’ve been getting the same message (I’m signed in as admin)

“When I try to save files to my original local account folders I am told by Win 10 that I don’t have permission to save there, even though my current Microsoft Account is an admin account on my computer”

You would think as admin you would have permission to do everything.

20. greg October 21, 2015 at 7:15 am #

Similar question as Pedro on 9/10 – after the upgrade to Windows 10 all non-admin accounts were created as other users. How do I convert an other user account to a family account without losing all their apps, files, settings, etc.?

21. Jared Stone October 25, 2015 at 12:39 pm #

Very useful information. Thank you very much for this article!

22. Raja Ramesh Chandra November 4, 2015 at 10:48 am #

Hi Admin, I like this post but I am unable to uninstall and program or press ok after typing on run command “control userpasswords2”, and currently my account in windows 10 has become standard account instead or admin. So I am unable to do any changes please help me. Please ping me so that we can connect over Teamviewer if ok for you to help me out.

23. Purple Boy November 10, 2015 at 11:42 pm #

I tried the ”lusrmgr.msc” and a screen appeared with a red ”X”.That is a bad news bear if you ask me and it is .. a message reads, ”You cannot use this feature in this version of Windows 10” Thank you for taking the time to help.

24. David Cooper November 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm #

Thanks – a good tip and helped me out. However, like many Microsoft features, they should just work in the first place!

25. BSpudd November 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm #

Thank you Mr. Brian Burgess! I was about ready to pull what’s left of my hair out trying to figure this one out.

26. Ramael December 11, 2015 at 4:32 am #

This worked for me! Thank you sir!

27. Art Echo December 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks. This helped a lot. I couldn’t find it in the Microsoft help page.

28. Carla December 31, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

Thank you so much!!! Ditto to what others said. I just got this as a Christmas gift. I needed to add a “guest” local user.

29. Dash January 3, 2016 at 6:35 pm #

What I find to be offensive to the bitter edges of belief. I *Must* have a MS Email address to use W10?

This is a very unfortunate way for MS to have a membership and force you to use more of their product? Must register with them. Okay, I’ll bite as administrator. But everyone in my family?

Yeah, nope. IF they want Yahoo, Gmail or anything, that is their call. I am not going to force them to have an MS account. W10 will not allow anyone be even a standard user without an MS email.

So, instead of denying them an account, I am denying W10 70% of hard drive real estate and using an alternative operating system that is more secure, does not require everyone to have a special email with a single company.

30. Wally February 4, 2016 at 3:54 pm #

After searching row dozen sites in two evenings, you solved my problem. Thanks!

31. Robin February 18, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

I tried two different way to create a couple of other accounts, but every time it didn’t work. I get an error message when I type in the password, which I know is right for two reasons.

One, because I just used it to sign into an email address before creating the account and two I was the one who created the password for other email addresses. Three I tried other passwords, just in case, and I get an error message about wrong password.

Here’s the error message I get when trying to sign into other accounts.

The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.
    User Profile cannot be loaded.

32. LG February 24, 2016 at 5:00 pm #

Excelent

• Robin February 24, 2016 at 7:54 pm #

I guess you’re not talking to me.

33. mjp March 7, 2016 at 8:11 am #

Just fire up an Administrator console and type the following:

net user /add user_name user_password

Example lets create a user named. JohnDoe and it’s password as “I hate Windows spyware”

Example: C:\> net user /add JohnDoe “I hate Windows spyware”

That’s all 😉

Cheers, mjp

• Robin March 12, 2016 at 1:10 pm #

Administrative console?

34. Meri July 2, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

Help Please!!! I did all that, the account was created, but when I tried to switch user, it showed me the startup page (image of a cliff and time and date) and when I clicked on it, it kicked me back out to the login page! Have tried creating a local account as well as microsoft account and every time I get kicked out. I am administrator without a password. I’ve restarting after creating as well. Would really appreciate any help!!

35. Justin August 16, 2016 at 5:23 pm #

Perfect, thanks for the tip! This worked flawlessly and I was finally able to get this Surface Pro 3 running and connected to the Internet (Edge won’t launch under the default admin account). Thank goodness I have Apple devices so I could Google how to make the Microsoft device work 🙂

36. Ja Le August 30, 2016 at 9:36 pm #

Thank you! All other methods found on the net didn’t work but this one does.

37. Petar November 30, 2016 at 12:13 am #