How To Copy & Paste Text on a Kindle Fire

If you’re browsing social networks or writing on your Kindle Fire, being able to copy and paste text is essential. Here’s how to copy and paste on your new Amazon Kindle Fire.

On the Kindle Fire, launch your browser, app or document that contains text. Here I’m copying text from the groovyPost site.

Long press the first word of the text you want to copy.

Long press text

Then drag the markers to highlight the text you want to copy. Then tap it one time.

Kindle Fire Highlight Text to Copy

You’ll see a small message come up letting you know the text has been copied to the clipboard.

Kindle Fire Text Copied to Clipboard

To paste the text, long press a text field in an app or document on your Kindle Fire. Here I’m pasting the text I copied to an email. The Edit Text screen comes up. Tap Paste.

sshot-4

There you go. The text you copied is pasted into the field you selected.

sshot-5

, , ,

16 Responses to How To Copy & Paste Text on a Kindle Fire

1. Madoson December 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

How do you Copy & Paste an image?!

2. ShyAngel December 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

3. Richard January 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

When I attempt to highlight text the screen moves around and the select tab does not respond by moving over the text?

• Josie March 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

That happens to me bro!!!

4. Garnet Scarabin December 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Very helpful! Thank you! This method works very well when copying long URLs. Just press down on the first word of the URL until the “copy” window pops up, then press “copy.”

5. Calvin March 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

How to on fb

6. spleeb March 21, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

I like wanted to like be able to like copy like italian text and like paste it to like a translator and like try to like learn like something like New.

7. Yessey April 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

SOLUTION
    On the bottom left corner of your kindle fire keypad, there is a button that has “?123″ on it. If you were to hold that button, a bunch of buttons appear on the keypad that deal with copying, pasting, and cutting. So, now you can select all or highlight a large chunk of writing to copy and paste somewhere effortlessly. There is even a tab button and arrows to navigate through pages with if you’re tired of scrolling.

• fishy August 28, 2014 at 11:21 am #

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. I’ve been looking everywhere for a solution to paste long texts on the Kindle Fire HD. It’s been so bad that I thought about getting rid of the tablet, as I live to copy and paste when note-taking. Thank you so much for solving my problem!! :) Bless you!! :)

• tehuti88 October 21, 2014 at 12:04 am #

I’m guessing this doesn’t apply to the 1st-generation Fire…? Because when I hold that button down, it just switches to the numeric keypad. :/ (Also doesn’t work for selecting text on a webpage, as no keyboard appears.)

I was so hoping this was the solution, too. :(

8. Kaylah July 16, 2013 at 4:43 am #

How do you copy one status and paste it to your status box on Facebook?

9. Adam September 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

This doesn’t seem to work within an ebook. You can select, highlight or even post a selection to the Amazon social network, but I see no way to copy text to a clipboard and then paste into another application. Anyone know a trick for this?

• Mike March 1, 2014 at 8:57 am #

Did you ever figure out how to do this on an e-book?

• fishy August 28, 2014 at 11:26 am #

The only trick I’ve found that works with ebooks is to select the text you want, go to “search on the web” and then copy it from the search box there. You can even do this when offline, by copying the text from the search url, pasting it into Kingsoft Office, and then using find + replace to get rid of the pluses and things.

I don’t see any better solution, as the hd inexplicably doesn’t use clippings. :(

• Adam August 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Thank you, @fishy. That is certainly better than nothing, and I basically had given up trying. (I can appreciate that Amazon wants to guard against copying and pasting entire books into unauthorized documents, but not being able to copy and paste quotes is just silly. As far as I can tell, you can’t even select before or past the current page, anyway!)

10. Daniel Walker September 20, 2014 at 1:06 am #

None of the options presented on this page work for me. I need to just get over it and get a real tablet.