How To Add an Additional Mailbox in Outlook 2013

Adding an Additional Mailbox in Outlook 2013 is very similar to the process for Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007. I just installed Outlook 2013 and need to add another mailbox so I figure I’ll take some screenshots and show you the new process.

How to add an additional mailbox to Outlook 2013

Open Outlook 2013 and Click File.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click File

Click Info, Account Settings, Account Settings…

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Info Account Settings

Highlight your current email account and click Change

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Change

Server settings box should appear, click More Settings.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click More Settings

Click the Advanced Tab and Click Add

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Advanced, Add

Type in the name of the additional / second mailbox you want to add and click OK. In my example I’m adding a shared mailbox we use for RFP responses.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Type Mailbox Name Click OK

Confirm the new mailbox was resolved by the server and Click OK to save.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click OK to Save

Here we are back on the Server Settings screen. Click Next.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Next

Click Finish

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Finish

Click Close on the Accounts Settings page.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - Click Close

Your new additional mailbox should be listed under your main account or PST files if you have already added to your account.

Add Mailbox Outlook 2013 - New Additional Mailbox Listed

9 Responses to How To Add an Additional Mailbox in Outlook 2013

1. chris July 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

tried the above….did not work. MSFT “engineers” have NO CLUE on how to add one of my Hotmail accounts. What a joke!

2. Jason July 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Chris, that’s because you’re *probably* dealing with a different account, not a different mailbox. Unless you work at Hotmail, I highly doubt you have multiple mailboxes that a single account is designed to access on their server. You would have to add an account (at the step where you click “Change…” you would instead click “New…”) for each account you wished to access.

3. chris July 31, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

Hi Jason,

regardless of how I worded it, the MSFT employees were unable to assist me – I gave them access to go through the step by step process as they were watching!! I was hoping that someone would be able to help me as the MSFT webpage was not helpful either.

4. Jacqueline November 27, 2013 at 6:44 am #

I wanted to say thank you for your complete steps to add a mailbox in Outlook. I already knew how to do it but I needed to send a possible non technical person instructions via email. I appreciate very much the time you took and the full picture details.

5. surinder February 4, 2014 at 4:40 am #

Worked a treat! perfect!!!
    Thanks!

6. KMP February 6, 2014 at 4:58 am #

I was able add the folder I needed, but when I try to open it it says “Cannot expand the folder”.

7. Scott W April 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

What is the total amount of mailboxes that you can add?

• Scott W April 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Well I just added 15 additional mailboxes so the exceeds what I need anyways. I noticed in Office 2007 that you could not do more than 9.

8. Darlene June 4, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Thanks for the easy to follow steps. I actually had very simple instructions from a previous attempt, but didn’t trust them. Your detailed pictures made sense of my simple steps, which I have now expanded on so someone besides me can translate.
    Glad google led me here.