Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Microsoft still includes product activation in Windows 10 to prevent piracy. Windows 10 includes a new convenient chat option for product activation. If you upgrade from an activated Windows 7 or from Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will automatically activate. If you’re transferring a Windows 10 license to a new computer and have an Internet connection, you can use chat support to activate it.

Activate Windows 10 Using Chat Support

After installing Windows 10, press Windows key + R then type: slui.exe 4 then hit Enter on your keyboard.

activate phone 1

This will launch the activation wizard, select your country or region and click Next.

Then at the Installation ID screen, you will be prompted to call the number listed on the screen. If you have an active Internet connection, you can use the new chat option.

phone activation 3

Click the Start button and head to All Apps > Contact Support.

Start Contact Support

Click Services & Apps then click Windows.

reactivate 1 reactivate 2

Click Setting up then click Chat online with a Microsoft Answer Tech.

reactivate 3 reactivate 4

Wait while you are connected to a Microsoft Answer Tech.

reactivate 6

After you are greeted by the call agent, explain your issue. For this particular case, I want to reactivate Windows 10. You might be asked to provide your Windows 10 product key.

reactivate 7 reactivate 8

If you are reactivating a Windows 10 license, make sure to clarify to the agent you want a license reactivated. Provide the Installation ID generated earlier in the activation wizard. Once your Installation ID is verified, you will be given your Confirmation ID.

reactivate 11 - Copy reactivate 13 - Copy

Proceed to enter the Confirmation ID then click Activate Windows. And you should be good to go!

phone activate 4

You can let the agent know the issue is resolved, then close the chat window.

reactivate 13 reactivate 15

Chat support can also be used to resolve other issues you might be experiencing in Windows 10. I was skeptical about using this; the experience was a pleasant surprise.

15 Responses to Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

1. Barryjt February 5, 2016 at 2:38 am #

I used the live chat service when I had problems with email on Office 2010 after installing Windows 10. I was also pleasantly surprised. The operator spent about 30 mins with me and resolved my problem.

2. Boris March 22, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

Please help me with the following:
    When I go to Start, then Settings> Update and Security> Activation
    under the heading Activation of Windows appears to me the following
    License for Windows expire July 27, 2016, year. To obtain a product key, contact your system administrator. Error code 0xC004F074
    I do not understand what it was, so I ask for help

After that, I got an answer and entered the following key products
    Enter the correct product key based on the edition of Windows 10 you have installed:
    Win 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

According to the key you sent me the following occurs:
    Activation failed because the device does not contain digital rights is not a product key.
    Error code 0x803F7001

On the computer I 29.1.2016. changed the motherboard, so I think that’s the main reason why we Windows10 is not active

We kindly ask for help in order to activate Windows 10

Thanks in advance

3. boti jerome May 29, 2016 at 3:34 pm #

product key is not good

4. keith June 18, 2016 at 6:55 am #

Good day Andre can you help me out here around 10 mouth ago I bought this HP disk top computer with windows 8 was on it. I then put windows 10. But i did not do a back up of windows 10. Some time later I have power cut in my home when the power came back on I was unable to go back to windows 10. I have to do a complete reinstall of windows 8 through HP the people who i thing build the computer. I have try to get back Windows 10 but is on unable to do so can you tell me why am I unable to get Windows 10.

Keith in the UK

5. Ed Steele July 28, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

Please edit the article to discuss what to do when “slui 4” won’t open the phone activation option and instead says “Cannot Activate Windows By Phone.”

6. verdied July 30, 2016 at 11:29 am #

I am totally lost. Downloaded windows 10 …or tried to … just b4 the deadline on two devices. They chugged along for hours then crashed and reverted back to 8.1.
    How do I fix this. Is Windows 10 worth the aggravation? Is the
    Is just another Vista?

7. Nancy McKereghan July 30, 2016 at 7:35 pm #

I had Windows 10 scheduled to download on July 29 and install but nothing happened.

After I set the scheduler I kept getting pop-ups asking if I wanted to install earlier. Could this have something to do with why the installation didn’t occur as scheduled?

8. Jonas August 3, 2016 at 9:25 am #

I’m trying but “slui.exe 4” does nothing. They removed this option in the AU?

9. Ramit Shukla August 7, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

For some reason, Slui.exe 4 doesn’t open anything. Is there any other way to do this?

10. Jonas Schumacher August 8, 2016 at 5:36 am #

I had to contact the support,they connected via remote assistance and solved the activation issue.

11. liya August 25, 2016 at 1:03 am #

Windows 10 Tech Support 18556394698 , windows 10 tech support, windows 10 support number, windows 10 technical support number, windows 10 technical support, Windows 10 Technical support group is an outsider administration supplier for All sort of Windows 10 Issues. We give administrations through our accomplished geeks giving answer for Microsoft items since quite a while with continuous learning.

12. Peter Cripps September 26, 2016 at 10:10 am #

I’m the OP. Following up on Andre’s reply:

The slui.exe 4 command took me to a page that says “Can’t activate windows by phone. Contact your system administrator.” This is entirely consistent with my computer running under a version of windows that’s linked to the manufacturers KMS.

I called the 1-800 number that’s shown in the screens above, and was connected to a live person. She completely ignored my explanation about the KMS, and instead probed around and told me my computer was broken. It would cost $149 to fix!

I can get a new licensed copy of windows 10 for less than that. I can also load Linux for free.

For now, I’m just going to see what happens when the license does expire. I gather windows will still work, but with a permanent nag watermark. Remains to be seen how annoying that is.

13. Andre Da Costa October 7, 2016 at 1:45 pm #

If you are having problems with entering the command, try: SLUI 4 then hit Enter.

14. Robert Nitzel October 20, 2016 at 4:57 am #

I had the same issue, slui.exe 4, showed a screen saying can’t activate.

Ran slui.exe, which allowed me to enter my license key.

Then I ran slui.exe 4, and it worked, giving me my installation ID.

Hope this helps.