How To Update Google Chrome to the Latest Version

The Google Chrome browser is set to automatically update itself to the latest version – if you restart it, that is. Most people probably close out of it and relaunch it every day or few days. However, there are some (including me) who leave it open for days or even weeks with 50 tabs open, and we miss the updates.

I realized this was the case yesterday when I read about Google’s new “conversational search” feature. You can only use it with the latest version of Chrome.

Update Google Chrome – Option 1

To manually update to the latest version click the Options > Help > About Google Chrome.

Update Google Chrome - Click Options, Help, About Google Chrome

There you’ll see the current version you’re running and that an update is available. Click Relaunch, and you’ll be running the latest version in no time.

Google Chrome About Page - Update and Relaunch

Update Google Chrome – Option 2

1 – A quick shortcut to the above process is to just type: chrome://chrome/ into the URL address bar.

2 – This will take you to the Chrome About page. If an update is needed, just click Relaunch.

update google chrome using command line

Thanks to Dan in our comments section for this second option!

21 Responses to How To Update Google Chrome to the Latest Version

1. fahad October 15, 2014 at 7:57 am #

sir
    when i open the about box
    the message appear
    update disabled by administrator
    but i didn’t do that
    and now i don’t know how to fix it

• davinder singh June 24, 2016 at 6:27 am #

same when i open the about box
      the message appear
      update failed (error:1)

• mulusew September 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

my chrome is old and in about it says [error 7] now, what can i do?

• abdul haseeb hamdard January 15, 2017 at 4:31 am #

if Chrome says “Updates are disabled by the administrator”. This is caused by an error in your registry, and can be quickly fixed.
      1.Press ⊞ Win+R and type regedit.
      2.Use the folder tree on the left to navigate to:
      3.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesGoogleUpdate
      4.Double-click the “Update Default” item.
      5.Change the “Value data” field to “1” and press OK.
      6.Restart Google Chrome

2. Karl August 27, 2016 at 6:28 pm #

Page is waaaay to busy to follow, making any constructive effort on your part, at least in my opinion, worthless. Sorry. You have come upon an honest man. They are no longer produced for the past two generations.

I would, honestly, like to know, in a way someone from my generation would understand….which people under 50 CANNOT SEEM TO COMPREHEND….how to MANUALLY update google chrome in my Windows XP computer.

Remember: KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. That is KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. KISS

Thank you.

• Mike September 7, 2016 at 1:00 pm #

Making it as simple as possible (I’m over 60, BTW), you cannot update Chrome on a Windows XP computer. As of November 2015, Google is no longer supporting or providing Chrome updates, for the XP, Vista, and MAC OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 operating systems as these system have reached EOF (tech speak for End Of Life). Perhaps you should consider a modern O/S as companies stopping support for obsolete systems will only continue to grow.

• Tim December 31, 2016 at 9:13 am #

I know they no longer support Vista, so I am pretty sure that they no longer support XP either.

• Steve Krause February 4, 2017 at 9:01 am #

Sorry you were not able to follow it. Tried it keep it simple. 😉

3. Dai September 18, 2016 at 2:07 am #

try uninstalling google chrome completely, by going to control panel, program and features and then click google chrome and unintall. after it’s done go to Internet explorer to search google chrome from it’s official site and download the latest version from ther

4. Katherine Quinn October 25, 2016 at 7:56 am #

Can you update on your phone?

• Steve Krause February 4, 2017 at 9:00 am #

One your mobile, you should just use the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. More than likely, your mobile is probably set to auto-update.

5. dan January 3, 2017 at 9:33 pm #

try this:
    chrome://chrome
    in the address bar

• Steve Krause January 4, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Yes, that works also.

Nice find. I see you found the — chrome://chrome-urls/ link with all the power user chrome options. 😉

6. Priyanka January 19, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

My Google Chrome is up to date …. 🙂

Thanks Dear !

7. Tomk February 18, 2017 at 2:53 am #

I know chrome is no longer supported on Vista I have got the message loud and clear. How do I now stop that annoying yellow bar that jumps across my screen each time I boot up?????????

8. MomaSeger February 26, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

Windows 7 computer system, I’ve hit relaunch numerous times, still won’t update. I’m worried if I Uninstall the Google Chrome and reinstall it, that it will not be compatible? Any suggestions as what to do?

• Steve Krause February 27, 2017 at 7:27 pm #

What version are you on? Might be you’re on the latest build. Last resort – sure, just uninstall and add it again. The download from Google should be the latest build.

9. Chibuisi Michael Oparah. March 31, 2017 at 3:54 am #

My browser(chrome 56) has been ‘damaged’ by virus. How do I remove the viruses?

10. john reye April 22, 2017 at 6:27 am #