If you’re looking to get an email address for the first time, Gmail is a good place to start. It’s free, easy to use, and it works really well. Gmail is hosted by Google, and as one of the largest tech companies in the world, it provides free email service to more than 425 million people worldwide. If you’d like to have a Gmail account of your own, just follow the simple steps below.
Open up your favorite Internet Browser. This could be Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or even the dreaded Internet Explorer.
Click the address bar at the top, clear it out, and then visit www.gmail.com.
Once the Gmail webpage loads, click the red “Create an account” button at the top-right.
On the next page you’ll need to fill out some basic information to complete the account creation process.
- You can enter whatever first and last Name you like, or use your real ones.
- Choose a username, this will be the email address that everyone writes to when sending you emails. So chances are, you wouldn’t want to make it [email protected] unless you were some kind of comedian. A lot of people use their first initial or two followed by their last name; as an example mine would be [email protected].
- When choosing a password, it needs to be something strong, but easy to remember. I highly recommend reading one or both of our secure password creation guides, which also have some useful comments at the bottom of them. [Guide 1] [Guide 2] Keep in mind that you should never use your email account password on any other site, it needs to be completely unique.
- Enter in whatever birthday you like, but remember it. This will be a security question if you ever forget your password.
- Mobile Phone number or Current Email Address are not required, especially if you don’t have one. I never entered my phone number mostly because I don’t want Google to know it and keep it on file.
After it is all filled out, click Next Step.
Google will prompt you to upload a photo for the Google+ account it automatically created on your behalf. You can ignore this for now, and if you don’t like the idea of social networks you can delete your Google+ account later on.
You now have a Gmail account! Just one more click to go and you’ll be at the inbox.
Here’s the inbox. From here you can read emails, compose (write) new emails, or even make phone calls.
Enjoy using your new Gmail account! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask them by leaving a comment in the section below.