What is WWAHost.exe and Why is it Running?

You’ve probably landed here because you’ve found WWAHost.exe running on your computer and you’d like to know why. Fear not, it is not a virus. Microsoft intentionally put WWAHost.exe in Windows 8 as an executable necessary for certain Windows Apps. Read on for more details.

Task Manager WWAhost.exe

If you take a look at the description of WWAHost.exe in Task Manager you’ll see it says “Microsoft WWA Host.” If you think that’s a bit vague, you’re right! Microsoft is saying that the WWAHost process is a WWA Host… OK… that explains it right! Sarcasm aside, here’s what it does.

Windows 8 uses Javascript to execute some Metro apps, and WWAHost is the process that hosts this. Because any Metro apps are written in the same fashion as webapps, several of them need to run interchangeably within Internet Explorer. With that said, Microsoft explains WWAHost as “an Internet Explorer-based rendering platform.”

A look at WWAHost on my Windows 8 test system using Process Explorer reveals that it is currently hosting the platform that the Bing Weather app is running on.

WWA Host process explorer properties

Conclusion

WWAHost.exe is a safe and essential process in Windows 8. It acts as a host for Metro app processes similar to how svchost.exe acts as a host for .dll files. This process is safe, and is best left alone to continue normal function on a Windows 8 system.

, ,

20 Responses to What is WWAHost.exe and Why is it Running?

1. Vizor August 20, 2012 at 1:55 am #

That is good article. Thank you.
    But please, what WWA stands for? I gues that is Windows Web Application, but who knows? Google knows nothing (except this article :) ).

• oscar August 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

in my case, the task start running wen i start skype, check if you have somethigk like that running

• DAVID hANSEN April 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

my WWA HOST.EXC IS SUSPENDED WHAT SHOULD I DO TO START IT ? OR SHOULD i ?thank you D. Hansen

• DAVID hANSEN April 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

I think this artical is Great, Q- Every time i try to access anything I get a popup that asks for -A SMART CARD-? OR AN OLD E-MAIL Address i dont know the password to , There in a window w/two boxes asking for those two things I cant access the Smart card-? or the e- mail add. Why is this happening….I do have a LOT OF APPS INSTALLED…D.Hansen

2. ibcom October 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

article utile !! merci

3. Flipsen February 6, 2013 at 4:40 am #

My switchable graphics card set preset for this application to High Performance instead of Power Saving. Because it acts as a host for Metro app proccesses, I can be switched to Power Saving, right?

4. Andrey February 16, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Help please, I do not know what to do, by accident “took the task” in task manager. Thanks in advance.
    PS Sorry for my English.

5. Crazyblogger February 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

As you said it is definitely used for some metro apps. It starts to show up when I start metro apps like skype. And BTW it listens to Port 80 so application like XAMPP will not start properly. So, if you use application which uses port 80 make sure that you turn on metro app only after you have started the other app.

6. Stu Jones February 21, 2013 at 8:26 am #

I’m having a problem with it. Every now and again. My system will almost freeze up. found this running and making my SSD run at 100% but next to no actual Read/wright data going. closing it makes everything fine, WWAHost will even start up again fine for hours. then do the same randomly. Any ideas

• Bill Carmody March 8, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Me too. I’m having the same problem as Stu Jones. Wondering why WWAHost seems to go crazy every now and again and freeze up my machine entirely.

7. Magic March 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Question: What will happen when I kill this process ? Performance manager in my Windows 8, reported me that this software slows down computer during hibernation / sleep

8. Yu May 21, 2013 at 4:08 am #

the process takes a lot of cpu power for a little while.
    it is harmless to kill it , but it is neccesary for windows startpage tiles and it will do its task again automaticly after being killed.
    the problem that it hangs ur pc is because it uses java which is full of security holes and probably one or more applications on the start-screen that are not well-written.
    it does not use that much harddrive activity, so if it does you have to check your harddiskcontroller and see if it has the right driver for it. intel matrix storage from version 8 of its better to use intel rapid storage controller. AMD uses the AMD raid driver found on their website under chipset drivers.
    the best thing is to let the WWAHost do its thing and not touch it.
    it is not a virus nor a trojan or spyware and it is safe to let it be on your pc.

• Technoish November 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

I’m with windows 8.1 9600 build (latest as of now) with a SSD, i7-4770, 16GB ram and the very same thing is happening to me too! And how do you mean “let it do it’s thing”? This is very annoying, it happens like every 5-10 minutes and hangs for about 20-30 seconds.

I also have my windows installed on a SSD and I’m also running skype as others have suggested here.

This is really bugging me..

• Garratt April 25, 2014 at 3:25 am #

YU,

Java runs on virtual machine, the machine acts as a security layer and takes care of all memory problems thus it’s quite hard to write java to be a memory hog purposefully, viruses are pretty much non existent in the java world.

That said, as Rob pointed out, it’s mostly javascript / flash etc.

9. Rob June 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Yu — modern apps do not use Java. They use JavaScript. Huge, big, gigantic difference between those two technologies.

10. Sean S July 10, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks for this.

Killing this process is a quick handy way for getting rid of any Metro apps that have inadvertently been started or haven’t quit cleanly or won’t quit (2 so far).

11. joe johns November 8, 2013 at 10:46 am #

This site offers a wealth of info. I also found WWAHost.exe in my task mgr. It showed it as being “suspended” but, I had no idea what it was. After reading these comments, I know everything I need to know about it. Thanks to all of you!!

12. nascentt April 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Great article. Very comprehensive.

13. roberta June 20, 2014 at 8:05 am #

Great explanation! I’m not too savvy and I wanted to get more info on my “STORE” process but I can’t get to that detailed properties screen, can anyone help me?

14. Andrea October 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

I am trying to delete my skype chat history but I can’t because the WWA host is running it. What should I do?