Kindle Fire: Remove Items From the Home Screen

When the Kindle Fire first came out you could delete or favorite items from the Carousel on the home screen. A new feature of the 6.2.1 update, is it lets you remove items from the Carousel and Favorites.

The Carousel is at the top of your Kindle Fire home screen. There you can scroll through recently used items with a cover flow like experience.

To remove an item, tap and hold the icon until the dialog appears. Then tap Remove from Carousel.

Kindle Fire Remove from Carousel

Favorites are the items below the Carousel. To remove an item, tap and hold an icon and select Remove from Favorites.

Remove from Favorites

This tip helps keep your Kindle Fire more organized and lets you hide embarrassing books you’re reading.

, , ,

12 Responses to Kindle Fire: Remove Items From the Home Screen

1. Lisa December 27, 2011 at 1:25 am #

What I really wish I could do, is remove the very annoying ESPN app. I don’t watch sports, I will never watch sports and I hate that it takes up space at all.

2. Brian Burgess December 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

@Lisa: You can uninstall ESPN. Just long press the ESPN icon and then tap Remove From Device.

I see it still shows up in the Apps under Cloud with the download icon. But it’s no longer on your device.

• Lisa December 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

right, thanks. Now I see how that works with the cloud. ;) I’ll make sure to keep device checked there. Much better.:) there is also something called Pulse but it only has the option to ad to favorites. Also IMDB. They’re both on my device and non removable as far as I an figure. Unless I’m doing it wrong. I just like to only have things I’m using and I don’t want to use this movie thing.

Thanks.

3. Brian Burgess December 30, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

@Lisa: Pulse is a cool news reading app. I actually enjoy it…well before Zite came around. Now I use Zite and Flipboard more.

Anyway — Wow. I never caught this one. Sure enough, can’t get rid of IMDB or Pulse.

From what I’ve read, you need to root the Fire to get rid of the pre-installed apps like IMDB or Pulse.

I will keep my eye out though for another way … if there is one.

• Lisa December 31, 2011 at 7:12 am #

Even if it’s cool, I don’t use it nor do I want to use it. ;) so as long as they had things on there you can’t remove and I think I thought it said they took away the ability to root…it will be annoying to me. I do appreciate the help. :)

I guess I find it annoying that you have to put in a special program where, me being not that great at behind the scene things, might mess up the whole thing. they should just make it so you can take it off.

• lori January 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

where does books go if click remove from favorites–when i do this then look in cloud note its there as well as on device under book tab–please explain this>

4. mac January 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

i want to download some erotic books cor the listening pleasure of my husband and i but xo not know how to hide them from themain home page. i have teenagers, help!!_

5. tonta January 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Hi, I can remove items from the carousel but when I try to remove books from device under my books section it just puts a down arrow under the books, how can I hide the books. I don’t want it to be seen

6. David Parish March 18, 2012 at 10:06 am #

How do you permantently eliminate bookmarks from the kindle fire?

7. David March 18, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Please remove my last name on previous post.

8. Heather Rush-Chesnut January 29, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

everytime I try to delete a specific icon it only gives me the option to add to favorites…

9. paul June 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

how to take a photo off permantly from facebook